What if?

Nightshade

Has anyone ever tried stopping the other companies getting alien technology? In a game u always sell your leftover/obselete technology right? so if u didn't sell any of these items and destroyed/captured all crashed UFO's and invesigated all alien sites as they were dropped in there. Would it stop everyone else getting alien technology?

The answer is: No.

Holding back on equipment will not stop the other companies from getting the technology. I tried this once, - and this did not stop the Mega Primus corporations from getting disrupter guns and shields. But boy did my devestator cannon clearance sale really earn me quite a lot of pennies! Hundreds of devestators at full price!

The availability of alien technology is score based. Once your score hits a certain level, the aliens and the companies get kitted with newer technology (although it's much slower for the companies). The companies only seem to be able to obtain a certain amount of alien technology before they stop improving. I've never seen them get teleporters, and I cannot recall if they ever got dimension missiles. But I suppose it's just because I've not played long enough to ever see these effects. Anyone?

This isn't necessarily a bad thing. It just means you have more sources to nick a few more shields from. Rent-a-cops and psionics do not mix. So you have a very unfair advantage there. :power:

- NKF

I never sell my technology, I mean, I know Megaprimus will get the technology anyway. But it seems like selling my tech lets them get the tech faster. Besides I don't need money, it's practicly unlimited in that game.

But I know that they will get the technology even if you don't sell it. Before I knew what to do I would raid Cult of Sirius about 50 times an hour (Game time) and then eventually, I went a little mad and raided about 100 times in stead of the usual 50. Then on the 101st raid they had some alien tehcnology (Never mind the fact I haven't even seen the aliens yet). I didn't really care though and I just raided again and again. Eventually I raided so much that they had teleporters in the first hour of the game!

you can have hundreds of raids, but you still need to raise your score to a certain level before any new technology is 'unlocked' - in a manner of speaking.

You may even have to wait till the end of the week to see any changes in technology. That's when most things seem to happen (market resupplied, buildings repaired, alien ships built, you get paid, etc).

- NKF

You won't get many answers here either if no one has any answers. Also asking htis in the middle of a different discussion makes future reference for other players a little difficult, what with them having to dig through a completely different topic just to find what they need, or having to duplicate the entire discussion again and again.

I have no experience in using Windows XP, just Dos and win 95/98, so I have little advice to offer you either. Though I have a few suggestions that you might want to try, but they really assume a lot of you.

• Instead of setup.exe, try win95ins.exe. Never noticed a difference between the two, personally, but it's worth a try.
  • If you have a network, install the game on another computer, then mount a network drive on the computer you want to play it on and play it through the network (the game will be on the other computer, but you'll need to use the cd on the one you're playing on). Or copy the installed copy of the game (the entire directory) over to your computer via the network. Since it's a dos game, there are no windows registry entries that need fiddling with. Or better still, you might even be able to install it over the network, just mount the destination hard drive as a network drive on the computer you're installing it on - and then tell the installer to install it on the network drive (which is really the hard drive on the other computer). Yes, it's a bit of a hassle, but it should bypass some of your install problem (even the files/buffers problem if the target computer hasn't had these settings set).
  • I have no idea if this will work, and this is completely theoretical at the moment. Manually copy the game files onto your hard drive. Remove the 'read only' flags if they are set (xcopy can copy and remove the read-only attribute for you, but I'd only advise advanced users who know how to do this to use it). Open the xcom3.cfg file in a text editor and enter the drive letter of your cd-rom (xcom3.cfg should be in your game directory). If it doesn't exist, make it with the text editor. Then run the setup.exe program to setup your sound card.

I doubt most of this will be of any use to anyone (or heck, if any of these suggestions actually work), hence my reluctance to suggest them in the first place.

For further discussion on this particular topic (installing the game), please continue it in the support forum.

- NKF

• 2 weeks later...