A Post-Nuclear Mod for SS1

Okim

I planned to upload the first scenario today. But those damn animations spoiled everything. I can`t get them into the game and i can`t get rid of the changes made! :(

Here is a full list of weapons. At least this part of the intended update is working normally (spent some time normalizing the images, names and doing some balance).

https://www.okim.nickersonm.com/SS/shot23.jpg

Seems that i`ve found a temporal sollution. By loading fast animations mod right after my mod you can overwrite the animations. This makes them very fast, but at least my mod is working smile.png

So... here we are. A first alpha version of the mod is available now.

Instructions:

1. Download the archive from here (~30mb, zip).

2. Extract it to the game`s folder.

3. Download the Fast Animations mod from here (StrategyCore Files section).

4. Extract in to the game`s folder.

5. Launch the game with console activated.

6. Go to custom and first apply 'A post-Nuclear Mod' and then a 'Fast Animations' mod.

7. Open console and write there 'template 1000013'.

8. Kill the bad guys. Don`t forget about green chest (there are some laser pistols).

Notes:

- PK is using an experimental texture.

- The map contains 3 bandit bosses (unique, easily recognisable by head gear/stuff) and a test PK soldier. Bosses are planned to be used in different missions. Here they are shown just for fun and variety.

- Bandit guys do not use bump and gloss texture maps. Your soldiers and your allies - do.

- Combat scopes unlock careful shot, but make the gun take more AP for aiming.

- Sniper scopes disable snap shot, but enable careful and sniper shots.

- Compact SMG is an SMG, but is using pistol animation (that should be faster, but Fast Animation mod only doubles the animation). Expect odd animations.

- 9mm, 10mm and 5mm Bullets are less likely to penetrate the concrete and PK armour. Hunting rifles and machinegun can deal some damage to PK. The main way to kill it - laser pistols.

- If you get a grass terrain or no animations for SMG, MG and pistols - you did smth wrong with FA and my mod loading sequence.

Enjoy! Report any wierdness and post your thoughs here.

Moderators can you please rename the thread to 'A Post-Nuclear Mod for SS1' please.

BTW, You can play the mod in multiplayer (either against bots or via hotseat) on maps 4412, 4413, 4414. Use Axis side for modded in soldiers (all are changed, but not tested much. All have new weapons).

Just write 'multiplayer' in console and put any of these 3 map IDs. I`m working on a modified first map that is mirrored and designed for 2 players.

A new version is available here. For the ease of use i`ve included Fast Animation mod in the archive (you`ll still have to apply it sepparately).

So, this 0.2 version just adds a multiplayer map under ID 1000019. It also replaces all Axis and Ally soldiers with new one, so that you can use both sides in multiplayer.

Some other tweaks and useful info can be found in readme file in the archive.

Enjoy! Report oddities, express your opinion (i badly need feedback, guys).

Oh. And here is a bunch if screenshots for you.

https://www.okim.nickersonm.com/SS/shot25.jpg

https://www.okim.nickersonm.com/SS/shot26.jpg

https://www.okim.nickersonm.com/SS/shot24.jpg

I just noticed that there is a zombie head in the game (which was probably used in H&S for that german tankist-trader).

You know what does it mean? Yeah! Ghoul-like mutants!

Sentinels have a couple of 'homeless' people models that might suit well those zombie heads to produce some kind of rag-tag ghouls. Hell, i even can model a fancy Bob-tree to grow out of their heads! Hehe...

https://world.guns.ru/userfiles/images/machine/mg62/mg13_3.jpghttps://img24.imageshack.us/img24/7271/doppel13.jpg

Originally i was inspired by this MG34, but during modelling i decided to put drums at 45deg rather than 90deg.

Some head stuff. Bandannas, masks, glasses, punk hair and a fancy gas mask. Combining those allows me to create various bandits and raiders.

https://www.okim.nickersonm.com/SS/shot27.jpg

PS: i still need help with animations. AND FEEDBACK...

I have played a lot of ss2,3,h&s mods and i cant remember any animation chanes in them. In chicago mod(forgot the right name) when ur hero get into the car, the car was driving bs simple movement of a model(car model) from 1 place to another.

By the way, why are u doing ur mode in ss2? It will be look better on H&S platform with all this time changing and shadows, u know.

H&S as far as i know does not contain PKs at all. And those are a major part of my mod.

I also didn`t like the Sentinels system with mission 'list' and while it has a useful commerce system and body armours - i can live without those.

The mod Fast Animation is changing animation data. In my case the same changes just don`t register after porting the mod to game format. I can`t understand why that happens.

You misunderstood me...

I`m not going to abandon it. I`m just set back by a week or so. All the source models, textures and sounds are there on my PC. I just need to import them again and recreate the maps.

And the new mod will be going to be much cleaner.

• 4 weeks later...

I see. I was asking because I hoped that maybe there are more mods for this awesome game. I am also looking for 2 mods for Sentinels the "grenade Range Increased" and "More uniforms to choose from", I have them for S2 but not for S3 and the GOG version didnt came with a editor. Is there any other way to make these 2 mods compatible for S3 without an editor? Or would you be so kind and alter the mods for S3?

I found the "More uniforms to choose from" here https://s2mods.tripod.com/ and its made by a guy called TalonHawk. Also there was a link for the S3 version of the grenade range increased but its dead. I am sorry if I am hijacking this thread but so far I have not gotten any other replies so far. I would be really glad for some help with this.

A mod can`t be altered without its soucre data base. And those dbs are usually not ported with the mod, so there is no way to fix any mod rather than make it from scratch or ask the author to do that.

I see. That sucks. I would have contacted the author of the more uniform mod, but he did not include his e-mail in the readme. You know if I had the editor I would do it myself but as I said, its not included in the GOG version and I doubt it can be copied from the CD. I really hoped to play Sentinels with these 2 mods you know? I also doubt you have time or resources to make a More uniforms mod or the grnade range mod. Oh well, guess I have to play Sentinels without them. :(

Well, no idea why but there are some theories why they did not include it, the most likely reason is, that the editor requires MySQL server runtime environment or something and that this is not compatible with current operation systems like Vista, Win7 and 8, seeing that the game already has issues recognizing modern graphic cards it seems logical to me. Another reason could be that the editor is simply too complex and GOG could not properly support it. There is a thread in the GOG forums of people asking to finally include the editor for the game as well but I doubt that will happen expect the Devs of S2/S3 decide to release a SDK for the game.

Also are you sure that you can alter game database files? I looked at the More Uniforms Mod again and it actually does not include new content it just unlocks all uniforms already in the game, meaning you can now choose even Uniforms from the various NPCs in the game and such. I somehow doubt even if I had a working editor that I would be able to do this from starch. That was one reason I asked you, seeing that you are a experienced modder and I am not. If there is someone else I could ask for this then let me know.

Just to ciunter your question of "Why is that so important to you?", well Grenade Increase is actually a must have for both S2 and S3 for how unrealistically short the normal grenade range is and the "More Uniforms to Choose From" let me choose a really nice looking Player model that I would like to use again for S3 so I can basically continue the story of my main character. It is alos odd that no one made "Easier Engineering and Medical Items" for S3 as well.

Well and I also like to play my games modded, its more fun that way.