Mind Shields

Brute

Yes, they do, to an extent, but probably not as the programmers intended.

You can check with a mind-bender if you want, but don't forget that you need to activate the shield first. All they do is boost your psi-defense stat a little.

And if the mind shield is still activated when the battle ends or if the soldier leaves combat, the psi-defense boost is made permanent.

- NKF

The mind shield doesn't exist... That's why you don't know how to use it. It was created along with everything else that wasn't used in the game. The difference with this particular item is that the programmers never removed it from the marsec factory. Therefore it is possible to obtain but it remains in the game only to the extent that the psiclone does...

The information on the mind shield is still about somewhere but all it says is that it was created to protect against mind bending (which it doesn't) and that continued exposure causes brain damage of a sort... (obviously it doesn't do that either)

Just go and raid the Marsec arms depot a few times and you'll find one. It's just one of the many loose ends that weren't dealt with before the game was released. It's the only removed item that can actually be found without the use of an editor.

To activate it, use it like you would a motion sensor or mind bender. The white box that surrounds the object will show that it's activated. You can do this with the psi-clones too, which have no effects whatsoever.

To check how much of a bonus you get, look at your original psi defense stats in the inventory screen or with a mind bender (the third bar down), then activate your mind shield and open up your mind bender again and look at the new psi defense number. The boost is rather insignificant when you come to think about it.

Personally, even with heavily souped up psi-defense (100+), some of the psionic attacks can still break through your defenses. Panic in particular. You're quite safe from mind control though. I'd still prefer to use androids against psionic aliens.

- NKF

Stun raiding marsec is a good idea. i always find 1&2 of them in the factory tileset where there are a lot of orange boxes. Note that the A.I of marsec soldiers is programmed to pick them up immediately, so be quick...

The mind shield gives you 30 boost in your psi defence

You can use the same trick in Apocalypse to get access to the inventory of any soldier with a brainsucker on his or her head.

- NKF

good stuff. i didn't know that. But if we think of those tricks.

you can control an aliens inventory if you mind control them

but you cannot acces your inventory when there is a brainsucker on your face

i think it is a kind of a cheat...