Gung-Ho or Lone Scout?

Mouse Nightshirt

Depends on how you want to go about approaching your problem, oh, and how deep your well of patience is.

I generally go with small squads, as even with a slow but methodical sweep of the map, a small squad can do wonders, and the individual soldiers can gain tons of experience from all their kills in no time. Besides, the more technologically advanced you get, the better the odds small squads are at surviving. While you can't carry much into combat, there's more equipment on hand, particularly shields, when you need it.

But as small squads go, your biggest enemy is the entropy launcher. One soldier disabled temporarily, and the whole team suffers.

Large squads, on the other hand, do offer more firepower. Also, there's safety in numbers, however, Vortex and dimension missiles are your biggest enemy though if you have them run about in 'group' formation. Still, with careful placement and movement of your troops, they can cut down plenty of aliens in no time. Dealing with Megaspawn is a heck of a lot easier too as you can saturate them before they get a chance to launch their missiles.

I like to use small squads(4-6) when attacking alien buildings, medium sized (6 - 12)squads for dealing with city missions and large squads to assault UFOs (12 and up).

It doesn't matter how large or small your squad is. It's all a matter of communication, or so The Art of War tells me.

Now, solo android missions, that I'd call a definite path to self-destruction. :power: Very possible as better technology comes along, but eh.

- NKF

• 2 weeks later...
i use (now) 13 soldiors on all occasions. 8 "standard" with 2 PDS, one plas sword, 4 toxi clips, 2 of each standard 'nade, one boomoriod, one medkit and 2 toxi guns. also, the two of the "standards" have a motion scanner. then i have two "psi's" with all the same equp lacking 2 toxi clips, the sword and a PDS, but they have a stun grapple and a mind bender. then i have the two "heavy/standards". when i want heavy firepower, they have 2 PDS, one dim launcher, 6 missles, 4 incedery 'nades, one medkit and 6 ap 'nades. then last ut not least (i have my sup group which i won't talk about right now), i have my "sheild barer" who replaces lost sheilds. 4 PDS, one toxigun, two clips, one boomoriod, one sword, one set of standard 'nades (two of each) and a medkit. long list, isn't it? :power:

i work with 6 soldiers generally. More than 6 is a large group which is hard to control, and lesser numbers just can't cover the map on their own.

Later, when i have the disruptor shields and cloaking devices, i drop this number to 4, and my team consists of mutants. Mutants are the only class who can raisa ALL stats by training. Otherwise you are doomed by psi-morphs in alien missions, or you'll lack skill by using androids

i tend to go for overkill. early on i take a squad of six... then i take larger as the opposition increases. and always even numbers. this way they can be split into sub squads of 2 if needed.

anyway...

Mutants are the only class who can raisa ALL stats by training

humans can too.... its just that their psi stats have a lower cap.

I could easily do missions with 4 people, but I don't.

Instead, I treat a squad as a person, rather than a person as a person. They take identical commands to a person, but they can cover each other's backs without requiring any backup. And, a string of 16 people stationed in a big line, outside the only door of a UFO is hilarious :power:

humans can too.... its just that their psi stats have a lower cap.

They don't have a lower cap, they simply suck :laugh:

i put them in psi training and saw one of them gained only 1 psi energy in 3 weeks :o !!! You call this they are train-able in psi??? :power: :angel:

The skill cap for psi stats are 3 times the soldier's initial value.

Humans start off with poor psionics skills and can therefore never be highly skilled psionists -- and as you've noticed, it take ages to build up.

Hybrids on the other hand can easily go up to 90 or more points in either of the psi disciplines. It just takes longer for you to beef up their physical skills. They are better in the long run, but if you don't use psionics and stick to conventional combat, they are really just weaker humans.

- NKF

how many times do i have to say!?!?!?!? teleporters! anyway, i raised my squad to 16 people. i now have my squad one and two with 4 standards and 1 heavy per squad, my psi squad with one standard for backup and 4 psi's and my shield squad (wich i might increace)! and i now removed the boomaroid for the teleporter! anyway, i also added two extra toxi clips and a motion scanner for shield dude and standards.

• 2 weeks later...
:power: At the moment in the game I have, I am running a 5 man squad. It's just training, though they don't really need it any more but they are armed with Devastator Cannons (2 each) and personal shields (2 each). Then I have been just constantly raiding Cult of Sirius Temples when I have the free time. Gets the stats up big time while having some mass firefights. If I am raiding a Alien craft, once the alien flow has stopped I send a lone man into the ship and hope for the best. It can be bad (especially when I walk into horde of poppers!) but also a lot of fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Most time I use 6 soldiers except when I capture an UFO or destroy one of their buildings in the alien dimension.

for capturing an UFO I use 12 soldiers divided in 2 groups. It is very useful for UFO with 2 gates. I just place my soldiers in front of it and wait (most time aliens are so stupid an come out).

When I want to destroy an alien building I use 18 soldiers divided in 3 groups. Importat: everyone must have an aliengrenade (these things looking like a star). with this grenades I destroy the alien entries as quickly as I can. 3 soldiers of them carry a devastator cannon to destroy the alien structures in the buldings the others toxi B or C.

regards,

Danny