XCOM EU Interview - We need your questions!

Pete

I've not sent the questions off yet - still writing my questions and I intend to work on a few other XCOM related bits for the site over the weekend as well.

That's how the plans usually start anyway - I'll probably be harangued into doing real-life stuff instead which I'm sure will be no fun at all in comparison ;)

Might as well add a new question, in light of the Floater reveal: are Strogg-like "aliens" (forcibly cyborgized humans) going to be common in the alien forces or are the Mutons and Floaters some kind of exception? I hope so.

It would kinda sorta suck if that (cyborgization) were the reason the aliens are abducting people.

How about this to start or end the list of questions: "For full disclosure: have you ever seen an UFO, have been abducted by aliens or are currently working in any capacity with a top secret multinational organization?"

• 2 months later...

We're pretty sure they wouldn't leave out base defense missions but I suspect it might be a scripted one later on in the game as there is only one proper base to defend.

I suspect helmets won't make an appearance from the screens we've seen, but should be relatively easy to mod them in as the devs have said anyone who knows the engine should be able to tweak the game.

• 2 months later...

I just have one quick question and I am sorry if this has been covered somewhere but I can't find it. Is there still the reaction fire tactic in the new X-Com? I loved that part of the game and I'd be really sorry if it was no longer there in some form. I know they have simplified the time unit mechanic and actually it sounds like the change is an improvement the way Jake Solomon describes it. But the specific area of reaction fire doesn't seem to come up anywhere?

I have to upgrade my computer to play the new game so haven't looked at the demo, which I suppose would answer my question. If anyone knows the answer or can point me at the information I'd be really grateful. There are so many articles to read and interviews to watch, my head's spinning ... blink.png

Is there still the reaction fire tactic in the new X-Com?

There sure is, Misotu. smile.png

Our squaddies can be placed in Overwatch and they'll react whenever a foe enters their field of view. And there are even special abilities that some soldier classes can make use of that allow reaction as a 'free action' instead of having to be placed specifically in Overwatch.

::

See? The new game has got us covered. wink.png

I do wonder if there really is friendly fire (except AOE weapons). Jake was not sure but he and... that other guy agreed that things like grenades definitely have friendly fire - which left ordinary weapons in the air. It seems that the whole shot is chance calculated on that single target, while in X-COMs the angle of fire was chance calculated (or whatever) and the shot could hit somebody else. That - if I'm correct - is a big simplification and one of the things that I do not like. Grenades and rocket launchers seemingly always going exactly where aimed is the second one.

Grenades and rocket launchers seemingly always going exactly where aimed is the second one.

Actually, it's my understanding from one of Jake's latest interventions that grenades never miss their plotted trajectory, but rockets do have a chance to deviate.

So, careful what you do with that thing, SV... grin.gif

(...) And wouldn't it have been cool if there were flame-throwers?

If I'm not mistaken, Nox, Jake in effect talked about that in the "A Thousand Stupid Ideas on the Road to Glory"

at Pax Prime.

Which reminds me, the auto-cannon used to be handy at starting fires in the original, but haven't seen it or an equivalent on the new game yet though...

@silencer:

And what are Heavies carrying with them? They are carrying LMG's which is something of a Auto-Cannon.(...)

Bah, kiddy toys. Gimme a real man's weapon! :P

@SV:

To my defence, I have not seen a rocket deviate yet.

Maybe you just haven't been drinking enough. ;)

I kid, I kid.

Well, major deviation is not bound to happen, but near misses can. Of course, once it blows that's not going to matter much, right?