Few questions

Conti-k

Hello,

1) I've d/l'ed Lightning fix, but it seems that .MAP file is missing ("open door" frame is placed where power source should be, I can still shoot through the "holes", and doors can't be opened):

https://img27.imageshack.us/img27/6627/clipboard01bk.gif

so I took MapView, and figured out how to fix it:

https://img851.imageshack.us/img851/2430/79755438.gif

but 4th, "fake" pillar designed to block LOF where two dudes are standing doesn't work. I figured out that placing opposite pillars (green dots) in place where rectangular cursors are is blocking it.

Doors are working nicely, but only for Flying Suits:

https://img855.imageshack.us/img855/4706/86824381.gif

other critters can pass through it (like ghosts) when returning to craft. But I think it's an engine's fault - doors are placed level higher than the ramp (and they're overlapping critters). If not then how can I fix it?

2) I've tried to fix Avenger too:

https://img716.imageshack.us/img716/6313/32828536.gif

By default it's possible to walk/shoot through walls (two dudes are facing these "holes"). I have no idea how to insert new, additional image to PCK (and edit .TAB file?), to make a "fake" pillar, similar to Lightning fix, so I set no walk/no LOF for that purple scenery piece (where dude in Flying Suit is facing) to prevent moving through it, and next re-used it (it's hidden behind the wall) to block "hole" where 2nd dude is facing (I can't walk where rectangular cursors are, but it's less annoying than watching ghosts).

Now, I want to restore doors to Avenger:

https://img856.imageshack.us/img856/5082/81856615.gif

but there's a problem with that red, North lines (they're out of the craft), so how to re-align them to the point red arrow is showing?

3) Any idea how to slow down scenery animations? They're flickering as hell (Extender doesn't fix them).

4) Where can I find craft data (speed, and other blah-blahs)?

PS. sorry for my not-so-good-English

I have no idea about the Avenger or Lightning, never looked into their errors.

To edit the PCK files you need PCKView, it should be available on the download section. I also allows you to change the images of the animations but I suspect the problem there has more to do with the speed that your computer is running X-COM.

The best place to get all info/data regarding UFO? The UFOPaedia :clapping:

There're three files of interest for the Lightning:

* The MCD file, which says what tiles there are,

* the MAP file, which says where the tiles go,

* and the PCK file, which says what the tiles look like.

In the end, the Lightning patch was bundled into this pack, so I'm thinking (read: hoping) maybe no one noticed the original was busted because everyone was using the combined version?

I could never work out why the Lightning door didn't work. It doesn't work even if it's placed at ground level, so something needs to be patched in the MCD file. This thread covers our progress thus far, and you may also find this worth reading in regards to how the sight/firing lines work.

Anyway. I'm pretty sure the Avenger doors "worked" in an older version of UFO. 1.2 maybe? Something older? Not sure. If memory serves the devs couldn't get them to stay open correctly (that is to say, they "worked" about as well as the Lightning door does, but the bug was way more noticeable because people actually use the Avenger), so they patched 'em to be always open.

the problem there has more to do with the speed that your computer is running X-COM.

Yep, "idle" anims of aliens, and geoscope are fast too. Because of that OpenXcom is really weird experience (Amiga, and DOS version been playing long long time ago). I've tried Mok's geoscope fix, but it was too slow :clapping:

The best place to get all info/data regarding UFO? The UFOPaedia :P

I meant information about crafts stored in game files (but not save games).

I could never work out why the Lightning door didn't work. It doesn't work even if it's placed at ground level, so something needs to be patched in the MCD file.

It's working on all levels now.

Exactly the same gfx glitch (overlapping) I mentioned in my previous post:

https://img341.imageshack.us/img341/5194/clipboard01vyr.jpg

Anyway, how to add new, additional entry/record/whatever in MCDEdit? For example, there's 46 and I want 47.

Also, perhaps do you know how/where/whatever to modify HWP Cannon/its sheels AP ==> HE?

I don't think it's possible to slow down the tile animation speeds. Seb's extender can deal with some animations (eg the cursor flashing speed), but the tiles seem linked to the overall frame rate. I've tried a few slow-down programs but the speed of the mouse tracking starts to suffer long before the tile animations do.

I meant information about crafts stored in game files (but not save games).

No, really, the UFOpedia site he linked has most of that. As a general rule, if it's not there, it's not documented anywhere. The values that handle craft capabilities are stored in the geoscape executable. Don't forget to check the discussion pages for articles either, the geoscape talk page for eg has all sorts of useful stuff.

Odds are Hatfarm's editor will let you mess with them though. It'll probably also handle the HWPs.

It's working on all levels now.

You got the door to open? Would love to know how! :clapping:

Exactly the same gfx glitch (overlapping) I mentioned in my previous post:

https://img341.imageshack.us/img341/5194/clipboard01vyr.jpg

The overlap occurs because the game draws all the level 1 tiles & sprites for a given X/Y co-ord after drawing all the level 0 tiles & sprites. The soldier is on level 0, so the wall on level 1 ends up overlapping him.

The only real fix for this is to rig things so that the soldier is on level 1 as soon as he starts going up the stairs, but long story short the only way to do this is with further "invisible tile" trickery - you'd make an invisible floor at the top of the stair case, then disjoint the height on it so it's the same as the stairs on the level below. Catch is this may well prevent soldiers from stepping up onto the stairs in the first place, making it only possible to go down. Not sure.

Anyway, how to add new, additional entry/record/whatever in MCDEdit? For example, there's 46 and I want 47.

Haven't used it before, but I downloaded it just now and can't see any obvious way to do it. I assume it can't. Personally I just copy'n'paste existing MCD records onto the end of a file if I want more, using a hex editor. For quick reference, each record is 62 bytes.

MCEdit only allows you to change the values, you'll need a hex editor as BB mentioned to add more records or even copy/paste them.

Also, perhaps do you know how/where/whatever to modify HWP Cannon/its sheels AP ==> HE?

I remember that there were a few old editors that allow you to change the weapon values - have a look to see what they have on this site because it's the best place to look for. XComUtil changes some of the weapons/HWPs but I'm not sure how exactly.

Thanks for the UFOPaedia links, guys. I'll check them out.

You got the door to open? Would love to know how! :P

CRAFTS_FIX.zip

You'll need MCD/PCK/TAB from Lightning fix to get it working. I've also included Avenger fix:

https://img827.imageshack.us/img827/5494/clipboard03u.png

since there's no doors I've altered existing frame to allow movement via red path - originally you could move (critter was overlapping scenery when standing over there) and shoot through the wall (green path). I also added fake pillar to block LOF in 2nd hole. Roof is fixed too:

https://img252.imageshack.us/img252/1888/clipboard01io.png

I think it's possible to create working doors for Avenger: some 'shopping should do the trick - right now the same closed frame is used in both parts (right and left), and that means open door "trigger" outside of the craft (shape of doors is fancy thus it's larger than, let's say, UFO doors), so custom frames are needed (unless it's possible to insert frame larger than 32x40) to re-align position of it. But in the end you'll hit into ghosts problem (level 1 ==> 2 doors passage for non flying units - see Lightning). The only way to fix is to expand level 2 by additional tiles, so returning unit will hit the "trigger" on the same level as the doors are placed:

https://img17.imageshack.us/img17/1476/clipboard02px.png

(this kind of solution would fix Lightning doors overlapping too)

Personally I just copy'n'paste existing MCD records onto the end of a file if I want more, using a hex editor. For quick reference, each record is 62 bytes.

That worked like a charm. Thanks.

Anyway, I've tried to find tactical palette and stumbled upon this and this. But I can't create Color Table from it. I mean, I'm able, but when applied colors are broken...

https://img192.imageshack.us/img192/9264/clipboard01xsk.jpg

(left: untouched, right: with palette applied)

I did this: PCK --> indexed BMP --> RGB BMP --> indexed BMP (Color Table taken from wiki examples). Never had such weird problem with palette :clapping:

------------------------------------EDIT

I solved palette problem. I took Color Table from GIF after clicking Save image in MapView. Colors are correct now.

So I'm guessing you set the door to act as a west wall instead of an object-type tile. Or rather, I can see that's exactly what you did, and so I'm kicking myself.

I also see that the original modified map somehow didn't end up in the final version of the uploaded patch, or even into the combo patch. Argh! :clapping:

Here's a version which uses an invisible floor tile to affect the overlapping thing (and puts all of the pillars where I'd intended them to be). Get a unit to walk from the craft and onto the upper ramp, and it'll work "correctly".... but it adds a whole heap of other buggy behaviours that far outweigh the original issue, so it only really serves as an example. It severely messes with the way units animate on their way to the ground and only works on the way down.

Lightning_MCD_Fix.zip

Still, if it can be made to work, then it'd solve the ghosting for both the Lightning and the Avenger without changing their looks. The Avenger doors can indeed be graphically repositioned to work as north walls, but as the 32x40 limit cannot be ignored, the graphics would need to be chopped up a little, just as you say (although this can be done in a way that's impossible to detect by the player).

One way or another, there certainly has to be a floor tile on either side of the door at the same level to get it working properly from either direction.

• 2 years later...

Here's a version which uses an invisible floor tile to affect the overlapping thing (and puts all of the pillars where I'd intended them to be). Get a unit to walk from the craft and onto the upper ramp, and it'll work "correctly".... but it adds a whole heap of other buggy behaviours that far outweigh the original issue, so it only really serves as an example. It severely messes with the way units animate on their way to the ground and only works on the way down.

I changed the invisible floor to be also a "No Floor" (byte 32), it allows door to be properly opened from inside, and makes unit fall through to stand on the actual ramp on level 0. It still doesn't fix opening door from the outside. I thought TFTD fixed this, I remembered there were doors at the top of stairs. But no, never directly adjacent - there's always a floor tile.