77 replies to this topic

#21 Alan

Alan

The Voice Of Reason & DB Repair Fairy

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 16 December 2002 - 11:52 AM

the reason why i "[I]resurrected[I]", so you say, this topic is because i can't post in FAQ and i need help running apoc in win9x.

the reason you can't post in faq is because... *drum roll* your not supposed to. what you are supposed to do is post in the support forum. the faq is just for recording questions often asked in support so that people can check to see if their q is answered there first.
A Target_Tinboy production

#22 Mouse Nightshirt

Mouse Nightshirt

Stressed out Junior Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 25 December 2002 - 05:05 PM

I was lucky with my solution. I got hold of an old 166 Win 98 machine :power:
I suffer from Arachibutyrophobia, fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth.

Mouse_Nightshirt - asphixiated in the name of science!

CMDR Richter Weindhoven
Commanding Officer - Alpha Team
Status -- Deceased
Reason -- Old age (Cheers DH!)

#23 Ki-tat Chung

Ki-tat Chung

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 11 January 2003 - 01:09 AM

hey, exactly the same as mine!

#24 Helox

Helox

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 02:22 AM

to fix the low mouse sens problem _without_ setting your windows mouse speed to "omg where is the cursor now I just moved it 1 millimeter"-speed:

goto this page:
http://www.minnemacs...sandbox/xp.html

download mousectl.exe and read the instructions and its fixed.

#25 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 08:11 PM

It works! But the mouse is still slow after trying both means of correction and the sound stil won't work...
I have both of the programs (VDMSound and mousectl.exe)
The sound is all sorted to the extent that I've put the line in the file, the game accepts the soundblaster ladida... But... When I run the game with the sound enabled it reverts straight to the end screen from the nocd crack... So I'm playing with no sound...
The manual mouse speed alteration doesn't help either. Plus I can't use the thing I downloaded for it as it loads and quits immediately... Any further suggestions?
Welcome back to the wonderful world of Fan-fiction! (it's short for fantastic!)
Go check em out, UFO TFTD and Apocalypse all under one roof!!!

Also why not check out XCom : Colonisation over in the special projects forum. Won't kill you if you do, might kill you if you don't!

#26 Helox

Helox

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 06:19 AM

you should make a xcom.bat file to start the mousectl and xcom in that order.

mines looks like this:

@echo off
mousectl 3,4,8,10,10,10,10,10
xcomapoc.exe SKIP

rightclick on the bat file and choose "run with vdmsound", set it to soundblaster 16, port 220, irq 7, dma 5.

#27 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 09:20 AM

Sorted in all but sound. I run with VDM and it still has no sound...

Also why not check out XCom : Colonisation over in the special projects forum. Won't kill you if you do, might kill you if you don't!

#28 PzSniper

PzSniper

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 11:32 PM

It worked perfectly!
Running Windows Xp Sp1 EN + 1.100mhz AMD 512mb DDR RAM

I luv u!

#29 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 12:34 PM

Where is my sound  :power:

#30 Tyrion

Tyrion

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 04:45 PM

There's a nice bug walkthrough at xcomufo.com

Never thought I'd be playing Apoc on xp...Anyway, in regards to the mouse.com ctl, when scrolling the left and top screen edges ingame, the direction is reversed for some reason so the only real useful way of scrolling is by using the arrow keys.Any solution to this?

And isn't it possible to bypass the use of the cd when running the game?

#31 Lord Nat

Lord Nat

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 06:19 AM

I get to the VMD sound start up TXT, then It stops, but if I hit any thing I get a clicking sound...

Any help?

#32 Kento

Kento

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 12:25 PM

I have the same problem with mousectl. When scrolling left and up, the directions are reversed.

So I'll ask too :power:  Does anyone know how to fix it?

#33 Ki-tat Chung

Ki-tat Chung

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 15 September 2003 - 06:47 AM

PzSniper, on Feb 8 2003, 10:32 AM, said:

<snip!> 1.100mhz <snip!>
again, this is very late, but your computer must be [b]awfuly[/i] slow running at 1.1mHz! :power:

#34 knight_of_the_ravens

knight_of_the_ravens

Tueven esent eflientes ve comb de vaut.....morta fae!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 17 September 2003 - 05:24 PM

windows XP sux ass!!!! i use windows 98....98 will run ANYTHING!!!
the only downside is that 98 has a very small chance to crash....XP will never crash

:power: AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGG!!!!!!

PRIVATE PILE!!!! I LIKE YOU...MABEY YOU COULD COME OVER TO MY PLACE AND SCREW MY SISTER YOU MAGGOT!!!

And in the time after death comes the judgement when the highest of the angels of light shall open the book...and the damned who fail shall be condemned to an eternity of torment in a prison...HOTTER THAN THE SURFACE OF THE SUN!!!
i just can't wait!!!

CPL Calvin Chavez
psionisist/scout - Kappa Team
Status -- Deceased
Reason -- KIA

#35 rocksk

rocksk

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 September 2003 - 12:39 AM

"XP will never crash"

Wrong knight,
XP crush often on my computer.

XP is bad.

#36 knight_of_the_ravens

knight_of_the_ravens

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 September 2003 - 04:24 AM

hmm...i dunno whats wrong with u guys computers...i have two,one with XP and the other with 98, believe me that if u wanna play apoc u should use 98...
windows 98 will run ANYTHING!!! XP sux complete ass....well anyways...i got it to run on my XP computer fine (but play it only on 98) it all depends on the amount of buffers u got....it requires like 20\20 on your buffers....just pop in a couple of DDR RAM cards into your CPU and the buffers should be high enough (even one will do the trick, but your performance line will turn yellow...just meaning that it might freeze up sometimes...which is rare) if ur buffers are okay,then send me a message and i'll help u with the problem....but most of the time its just the buffers
messing with u....remember....if it's not the buffers and u don't know what it is...send me a message telling me the problem,85%of the time i should be able to help u fix it...

:power: AAAAAARRRRGGG!!!!

PRIVATE PILE!!! WHEN ARE YOU GONNA GET IT THROUGH THAT FAT ASS OF YOURS THAT YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO SWALLOW THE GOLF BALL AFTER SUCKING IT THROUGH THE GARDEN HOSE YOU MAGGOT?!?!?!

And in the time after death comes the judgement when the highest of the angels of light shall open the book...and the damned who fail shall be condemned to an eternity of torment in a prison...HOTTER THAN THE SURFACE OF THE SUN!!!
i just can't wait!!!

CPL Calvin Chavez
Status -- Deceased
Reason -- KIA

#37 Ki-tat Chung

Ki-tat Chung

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 18 September 2003 - 09:41 AM

knight_of_the_ravens, on Sep 18 2003, 03:24 PM, said:

<snip!>
it all depends on the amount of buffers u got....it requires like 20\20 on your buffers....just pop in a couple of DDR RAM cards into your CPU and the buffers should be high enough
<snip!>
eh? you don't pop ram into your CPU! that would be very bad your your PC's health you know! :power:
:: waves finger ::
you put ram into ram slots and it depends what type of ram your motherboard accepts.
the amount of files/buffers does not (or should not from what little i know) depent on your hardware specs, but on what you have on config.sys or autoexc.bat file(s). i forget which one, but when you install apoc it should tell you which file to use. and you managed to get apoc running in XP!?!?!?! please, tell us how!

Edited by Ki-tat Chung, 18 September 2003 - 09:44 AM.

#38 knight_of_the_ravens

knight_of_the_ravens

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 September 2003 - 09:45 AM

yeah yeah...ok be a smart ass.....u know what i meant.....u think i'm that stupid with a computer? :devil:
i just can't wait!!!

CPL Calvin Chavez
Status -- Deceased
Reason -- KIA

#39 knight_of_the_ravens

knight_of_the_ravens

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 September 2003 - 10:00 AM

ok look.....for XP it all really depends on what kinda hardware u got......and like i said before...when u add DDR RAM, it increases your buffers (memory)
in my XP computer i have two 256MB DDR RAM cards loaded...in my 98 computer i have one 256MB DDR RAM card....buffers are usually always the problem...in XP without any RAM cards, your buffers are 0/40...with the two i have in there it is like 24/40...i'm not too sure on how to get a perfect 20/20...but i think it's if u put SD RAM cards in instead of DDR RAM.....or i think it will even go 20/20 if u fill all four slots with DDR....i do recomend that u get SD RAM though....though u can't use DDR and SD at the same time...and can only have one type loaded in there at a time...SD is better than DDR....anyways....though there is more RAM in my XP than there is my 98, the XP still lags....not too much, but enough to get on your nerves after a while....to finish this, all i'll say is if your gonna play apoc...use 98...
mine has only one DDR card and still runs better than my XP....k i'm dizzy now...

i just can't wait!!!

CPL Calvin Chavez
Status -- Deceased
Reason -- KIA

#40 knight_of_the_ravens

knight_of_the_ravens

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 September 2003 - 10:05 AM

oh...and in order to have best results (even with low buffers) use like a
pentiumIII....mine is AMD DURAN...which is as good...u will have a hell of a time with putting it on XP with pentiumI's and II's...

i just can't wait!!!

CPL Calvin Chavez
Status -- Deceased
Reason -- KIA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users