Apocalypse later...

Sunflash

Reloaded the game and didn't have the no-firing bug so kept on playing. A few minutes in the keybaord stopped working though so I couldn't takes screenshots or as it happens save the game :s

3rd time's a charm though as the mission is done now and so is another one sice the UFO. I'll be putting up pics shortly and splitting the post in two so not worth looking at till later. BB you should check it out later though :laugh:

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha yeah it's become my favourite tactic when dealing with UFOs :P Incendiary fire outside, HE fire inside! You realise I've done 3 UFOs now and have not once penetrated more than a few meters inside them :laugh:

I'd give you the cannon if it wasn't surgically attached to the Pearce sibling in your squad BB, the guys seem very at home with them though so I'm afraid it's no dice on the swap for now. If we research anything more explosive then you can be the first to have it, I promise :oh:

You realise I've done 3 UFOs now and have not once penetrated more than a few meters inside them :laugh:

That is the only real AI problem with Apoc... ETs just don't want to stay inside, be it UFOs or buildings.

If they stayed inside and there was a timer to the battles (let's say the aliens are repairing the craft) the game would be a LOT harder to beat.

Is such a thing moddable? At least behaviour?

IT's true, they are pretty stupid... I had to go in for the last 4 aliens because they were panicking but even then they started to flee outside once I started firing! If they stayed inside and huddled around the top of the elevator thing I think it would be a whole different game! Though I'd probably just set fire to the ship and smoke 'em out anyway haha :laugh:

I wouldn't worry too much about any aliens that flee the battle. I've actually cleared many minor mop-up missions where most of the aliens have fled with no problems. Concentrate on the main infestation sites that show up on the graphs. If any fleeing aliens do have any influence on the infiltration level of nearby buildings, they tend to be very minimal compared to the amounts that automatically spread out at the time the site was infested.

Speaking of which, you can have cleared sites re-infested after a while if the levels in an adjacent site is strong.

You might be able to find the main point where the other UFO deposited its troops after a few hours if you scan the buildings owned by the affected organizations closest to where you last saw it. Would still be guesswork though thanks to the other site that was created.

- NKF

How exactly does the initial spread occur then NKF? I've wiped out the presence in the main building within literally minutes of the UFO leaving but will there still be aliens in the adjacent buildings? Do I have to check them too before I can count this infiltration as dealt with?

Of the 3 UFOs I've shot down one with no deployment and already cleared the mission. The second had one drop which has been dealt with. The third is hard to really know about but I have a rough idea of location I guess. Don't want to start looking for aliens in my friends buildings without good reason mind...

So what should I do :o

If I didn't mention this before, then cool, if I did, it's ok. Anyway, the gates have a tendency to move just before they spit out UFOs. If you want to, and have the funds for, buy more intercept craft, and have them ready to intercept UFO's. I usually use bikes or the Phoenix hovercars initially, then go with the Valks. All the while, though, save up for the Air Hawk Warrior.

Thanks Sarge, someone has already said that so it was probably you :laugh: To be honest though the only way to play the cityscape part of the game is on max speed or nothing ever happens. That makes it pretty much impossible to watch the gates all the time and I know people have said you can put craft in any building to wait for the attacks but it seems like a bit of a cheat to me. The pilots have to eat and sleep too afterall!

Anyway I know I need better intercept craft DESPERATELY but I never have any cash as Apocalypse is absolutely shite for cash. I'm averaging about 15 missions a week I think ( 24 so far and still week 2) yet I have no money for most of that time plus I can't ever buy enough ammo to keep stocked up for the week. How do Marsec and Megapol and the like stay in business with such crappy supply and demand? Realistically, if the city was being invaded by aliens and there was only one weapon manufacturer producing say 20 MG clips a week they'd sell for $t$h$o$u$s$a$n$d$s$!

Also have I asked anyone yet why I discovered a bloo with a megapol smoke grenade?!?! What's that all about!!!

When a UFO drops troops into a building, adjacent buildings automatically get a small amount of infiltration. Or they will by the time your squad arrives. Generally it's small that they will die off in hours.

Also about the smoke grenade, that's a regular piece of equipment the anthropods and the skeletoids carry. The unofficial explanation goes that they're being supplied the grenades by the Cult. They're very clever with its use and will merrily use to put out harmful area-effects like stun gas.

I can sympathise with your ammo problem - most players can. As I mentioned in an earlier post, try to mix in stun grapples. They're your unlimited ammo weapon, and will take down enemies with low HP very quickly. Also now that you've got Disrupter Guns being used against you, get the quantum physicists working on one post-haste! They literally replace the M4000's, Auto Cannon/AP and the otherwise awesome Plasma Guns. The hairy porcine upgrade to it will be bad news for your agents, but it will be even better.

- NKF

I've got researchers working on the disruptor, have had for a few days, but it seems to be a much harder thing to research. In fact I just scrolled through the AAR to see how long they've been working on it and I can't even find when it was started. It looks like I've only researched about 2 or 3 items in the quantum-physics department compared to around 10-15 in bio-chemistry!

Literally since the last post in the AAR a few minutes ago I've finished researching something like 5 projects in bio-chem and only 1 with the Q-Ps... What the hell???

Oh and guess what, new UFOs. Exactly the same pattern as last time, hit the same buildings. The one I didn't see was indeed the gravball league so I don't know where the Cult got their aliens from. Must be cultivating their own :laugh:

Since you had a tussle with the pink and green cloaked perverts (they just aren't content with just sectoids and hybrids are they?), any new loot added to stores? Like plasma guns or psiclones, which should help the funds.

Just be careful when visiting their buildings that your troops aren't bunched too close together. Like the aliens, they're a little psychotic with the use of explosives, and the cultists do sometimes get the Marsec Heavy Launcher. Packs a serious punch that thing.

- NKF

I don't know why but I didn't check the stocks after returning home (even though I did mean to!) To be honest though, I had such a lot of fun trashing their building and their soldiers are so incredibly poor that I may make somewhat of a daily thing out of raiding them :laugh:

Right now I have anotehr crashed Transporter (again), the Lifetree apartments (again) and the Gravball stadium (again) Once those are all taken care of though I'll be back to scratch again as they shouldn't have time to spread anyway. I just hope I have enough ammo to make it through a few more missions!!!!

I can't believe it isn't the end of week 2 yet, I had a report yesterday that says my overall score is ~6000 and the weekly score is ~4500 :oh: I find it very hard to keep track of what day it is to be honest as everything happens so quickly (and constantly) that there's rarely a long enough break to check the clocks.

When I finish this playthrough I'm going to go looking for a mod and if one doesn't already exist I'm going to campaign for it lol. It should have, longer between alien incursions, much greater stocks of weapons and equipment for purchase, slower research and better funding. Basically this game needs slowing down drastically, the main problem though is that there are so many missions to be completed one after the other when a UFO incursion takes place. This time (and last time) I got lucky and only had 3 UFOs but even by responding immediately I still have a guaranteed minimum of 3 sites to attend. Shame I can#t just bomb the transporter, save me a headache there at least lol

That's the effect of the difficulty level. There's just so many enemies on superhuman that the score racks up very fast. Maybe give beginner a spin?

You can actually bomb the transporter. Pick a ship and go manual control, and start blasting away at the UFO until it is gone, then just handle the ground missions.

- NKF

If blowing it up means the aliens disperse I'd rather take care of them with a good ol' fashioned duck shoot lol It's not the hardest mission while it's only Bloos and Spitters after all... Maybe I'll even make it inside the UFO this time lol

And I don't want to play beginner, so far Superhuman hasn't thrown any real challenges. I just find the time-scale used to be complete nonsense. It needs slowing down or there's no way my troops are going to be able to handle such constant action. Every time they nod off it's back into action. I've discovered a pattern now of doing a dozen missions, everyone being nearly dead then having a day or 2 to heal before repeating the process. That's just stupid...

Aliens definitely won't disperse by blowing up the UFO. They don't do it even if you leave it alone and it vanishes. The worst that seems to happen is the cult starts sending riders out as long as you're between the first 4 time compression modes and the UFO is still on the ground. Not exactly sure what it is they intend to do as Megapol starts attacking them and cause damage to the city.

You'll actually get better at clearing out the drop sites as you gain experience and the number of missions in between will feel like they're dropping a bit. At the moment is seems what's draining your troops are the multitude of small missions that spread out of the main drops.

- NKF

Well I just put up another 2 posts and I'm confident that the latest incursion has been dealt with after only 2 missions. It's odd though that the gravball league has no aliens in it even though I watched the drop take place. It's made even more puzzling by the fact that a little while after I attended that particular dropsite it's NOW registering some alien activity. What they were hiding or something?!!?

Just done some maths, Turns out that of my 7 veterans, David Pearce and Jurgen Berger have NEVER missed a single mission for which their squad was assigned. Sigourney Frogley was a new recruit from the formation of Squads 3&4 but likewise is the only trooper to have been in action every single time her squads have been called out!

The blue sparkly stuff, dubbed by players as Micronoid rain. Does a toss between instant control, or absolutely nothing. If there was infiltration later on, it's probably infiltration spilloff from an adjacent infested building. I have seen a cleared site get re-infested from the minor infestation next door if it's left to grow too strong.

By the way, you've got the disrupter guns researched, but are you handing them out to anyone yet? If you haven't, you might want to hand a few out or pick one up in battle. They're quite an immediate answer to your ammo problems since they have recharging batteries. They're quite impressive in close quarter combat when used in pairs and set to full-auto.

- NKF

Guess you aren't up to date with the posts yet NKF as we're all running on disruptors now :) I'm keeping the cannons with HE and INC ammo for UFO and CoS missions but the rest will get dusty for a while now until it's no longer needed in reserve at all.

Didn't see any blue stuff but who knows. I'm guessing my next missions will probably have new aliens as it's now week 3 and I've already had new UFOs. Maybe there'll be new weapons too :) Still it's staying pretty straightforward so far so I shan't complain! The only things bugging me at the moment are lack of funding to improve my fleet and lack of new robo-recruits which is inexplicable as I'm neutral with the guys who make 'em!

Ah - last entry I read had your teams very conservative on the ammo. Hadn't brushed up on the newer ones yet! :)

If you're desperately short on money, now's probably the time to start thinking of taking some shadier side jobs. Not talking about stun raids. Just honest to goodness armed robbery. Of bad guys - that negates the moral issue. :)

The fixed bounty on the psiclones that are 'donated' by the Cult (or pick a gang of your choice) will be a fine investment in a small fleet of three or four Hawk Air Warriors.

One tip: Only do smash-and-grabs. Go in, grab useful or valuable and easily portable items, then back out. Don't try to wipe out all the guards. This keeps your team healthy and keeps the accumulated points low so that your techs can keep pace with alien technology. After you've got shields - then you can have a ball.

Actually these might be a good opportunity to have some of your psi troops do some quick practice with their mind bender - human guards are some of the easiest to use psi skills on. Don't remember if this improves their skill after the mission like it used to in UFO, but worth a try.

- NKF

Cheers NKF, typically I finished disruptor research the same day as I bought new ammo so I'm not impreswsed with the timing lol. Done one raid on the CoS which is posted already and just the 2 psiclones I got were worth 9k so it's not bad but the majority of loot I got from that mission was actually their weapons (laser sniper, lawpistols and a nice plasma gun) so without fighting through to the end I don't think I can justify it. The psiclones are sat on altars too so it's impossible to pick them up from what I can see. The troops don't even seem to be able to jump up to get them and they're 2 squares away so can't collect from the square beside it either...

That said, a Hawk Air Warrior is going to set me back $99,990 so it'll still take me over 22 psiclones to get just one. That's a lot of missions and as you point out it'll come with a lot of points after the fight... I don't really want to make any new enemies so am happy with kicking Cultist butt the money is only there if I fight through to the very end though :)

The temples actually have several item spawn hotspots scattered around it where objects get generated at the start of the mission, and if you're lucky can often find multiple psiclones in a single mission (the 9 pillar slum condo can sometimes reach a max of 8!). As you've noted, the altars are one such spawn spot. Another is often in the middle of the floor in the north-eastern corner of the chapel where your troops sometimes start. Once you've memorised a few of these, you'll know where to dash to when the mission starts to hopefully grab the prize (if any) before they do.

See, one other thing to be mindful of is that all building guards have sticky fingers. They'll grab loose stuff on the ground as they run past them. Every time you run past any cultist bodies, it's worth checking them and grabbing psiclones to keep them from being destroyed in the battle.

By the way, that new UFO you spotted. A bit like a brown stumpy carrot? If that's the one, I'm sure you'll love it. A might tougher than the transports to shoot down and can hit you twice as hard, but it's probably one of the easiest UFOs to assault on the ground, and the rewards from it are really good. You'll definitely want to invest in a Hawk Air Warrior once you've ripped the weapon off this thing.

- NKF