I knew this is harder than X-Com 1, but this...

Privateer

...snip ... on my current game of UFO I'm on September and I haven't researched the heavy plasma yet and the hyperwave decoders haven't detected any Ethereals dropping from the sky yet...snip...

I just completed a game of UFO and I researched heavy plasmas fairly early on but ethereals still didn't appear until the beginning of September.

I can testify that research of sonic weapons does not trigger lobstermen. In fact the only reason for my going for sonic weapons first is the appearance of lobstermen in my last game when I had nothing to fight them with.

The main reason I don't like Gauss is that it simply doesn't pack the punch. Of course it's nice to have an automatic Gauss instead of the bulky Sonic Cannon when up against Gillmen, but I can live with that. On the other hand, I already had a nasty experience ending up against Lobstermen or Tricers(sp?) with Gausses and watch three of my troops drop dead one after another upon pumping the enemy full of lead(or whatever Gauss projectiles are made of:)).

I just completed a game of UFO and I researched heavy plasmas fairly early on but ethereals still didn't appear until the beginning of September.

There must be something else then. I usually get Ethereals by April-May by the time I have already researched the Heavy Plasmas. Maybe their research doesn't precisely trigger the appearance of Ethereals but I still believe there's something to it.

I would be tempted to say that the appearance of Ethereals has to do with getting Psi-Labs since I haven't gotten that research done also and so far they haven't showed up. It makes sense since they are the alien's counterbalance to your soldiers new psi skills. But then you find Tasoths pretty easy on alien colonies and artifact sites (and you actually need to research one to get the MC disruptor).

I guess it's just another of both games' misteries...

Here's a strategy question for you all. Does sitting out all non-necessary action help or is it a sure way to lose? By "sitting out" I mean having one base, and concentrating on research rather than building new bases. Ignoring alien bases that spawn up, etc. Of course, terror attacks should still be dealt with.

Now, that would be hard, a single base. As it puts everything in one base. Although, I would rather spread myself out, and give room to all the bases, not just growth, but also to give myself more strike capabilities. However, the one base strategy, I do have a modification of it. You can have three bases, actually, and just transfer stuff from one base to another, to another. Starting with your first base, I would place two more sub pens nest to the one that's on top. Also, I would build the large sonar, or wide array. as well as defenses. Until you can build another base, this is going to be your over all base. The next two bases are going to be strictly the following: one is mainly research with alot of storage space and alien containment, no sub pens, and alot of defenses. The other base is nothing but worshops, storage, and defenses, as well. I might be able to graph out all three, someday, soon. Maybe I'll do that yet, and post it when I'm ready to. As to defenses, I would go with the best there is, and about ten aquanauts each base, except for your strike base, then ten per Triton. Actually, let me see here, I'll post some ideas soon on bases, and whether they would work well, or not, ok?

I was thinking of storage space, etc. But I guess that you can do that better with UFO than TFTD. However, I like to spread my stuff around, and create all sorts of havoc. Right now, I'm in the first year, I forget when, and I have two bases up and running, while working on getting a third up, so I can intercept from that base all the supply stuff for the alien colony not too far from that point. It takes a while because I don't use any modifications on build times. But my first, and subsequent bases, are basically the same, with two exceptions. The firast and second bases are for strike/research, the first one; and the second one is for strike/workshop. Well, all have intercept capabilities, as well, as I have three hangers each base, two used for interceptors, and one for carriers, like Leviathan and Triton. All three hangers at the top, with the airlock next,, with nothing, except on the research and workshop bases, where I have the Alien Containment right next to it. The living quarters, etc towards the bottom, with the last row dedicated to weapons, sonars, and shields.

Well I just got an answer to my question about base layout. It's June and I got attacked for the first time at one of my bases, and unfortunately I had only sparse defenses, but it turned out to be enough. I layed out the modules in a line away from the access lift and subpens as I always do but wouldn't you know it, 3 of the aliens started in random rooms next to some of my soldiers. I had 10 unarmored soldiers each with a sonic cannon and 1 sonic pulser. No tanks or disruptors or HTH weapons. We were attacked by lobstermen but fortunately at least half of them were armed with stun launchers and not sonic weapons. I managed to win with no casualties. My strategy this game is to put more cash into scientists and soldiers as opposed to trying to get 6 bases up and running with interceptors (barracudas) as fast as possible like I usually do. I'm finding cash harder to come by so far than in UFO. I haven't yet gotten any landed ships of any kind, no mediums or larger.

Slythe, you would do best to get some money by selling excess equipment. Whatever you haven't researched, sell down to only one of the item. Also, sell all corpses. until you are down to one, if not researched, as well. Go after all USO's, downed either by landing or you knocked them down. I would also suggest you get rid of the gas cannons, as well. Switch to D.U.P. torps, as well. Drop the ajax launchers and torps, as well, to make room.

For the first month, I usually buy Thermal Tazers, and chemical flares. I usually sell the gas cannons, the ajax stuff (when I can), and the dart pistols. Also, I get 2 more aquanauts, and split the difference between Scientists and Tech's. Also, get more rifles, as well. I would also suggest writing down what you have, weapon wise, and buy what you need. I would suggest you have 4 gas cannons, 4 of the auto ones, and to torp launchers. Ammo would be 12 of the armour piercing for both weapons, then 8 of the other 2 types, then I would buy 10 small torps, 12 large ones, and 10 phosphorous ones. Also, I would sell the dye grenades. Then buy enough magna blast grenades to equal 20. Put all that on the Triton, except one ammo type for each weapon, per person; and 2 small, 4 large, and 2 phos. torps, with the launcher. As well as 10 grenades. You may need to build more storage, so that may be first, before getting more weapons. However, usually, I edit things in, sometimes. And that's for another post.

Thanks Sgt. Strike but I already know and do those things. I used to play both x-coms all the time when they were first released but I had just forgotten some of it. All I was saying in my post was that I've basically been unlucky so far in this game, it's June and I haven't had the opportunity to assault even one landed craft, which means less cash from ion beam accelerators, mag. navs, etc.