Hero Editing

Baleron22

I want to delete a training (completed) from one of my characters. Is there any editor that allows me to do so? If not, just tell.

Straight, huh? ;]

Pretty much.

I don't know. That straight enough for ya? :laugh:

It may be possible though. Perhaps modders like Okim and ShadoWarrior have answers, otherwise I would suggest you to ask this at the off. forum...

Firts of all you`ll need a vfstool. Download it and put the vfstool.exe file into c:/documents and settings/"your_windows_profile" folder. This is done for faster access to vfstool via command line.

1. Open "UFO folder"/profiles/"profile_name"/saves/ and copy the saved game that you wish to edit to c:/documents and settings/"your_windows_profile" folder. I don`t correctly remember the path, so you`ll need to do a liitle search if there is no such folders in your case.

2. Open command line (start -> run -> "cmd").

3. Write there: vfstool.exe e save "c:/documents and settings/your_windows_profile" NOTE: write exactly as it is shown. Save - is the name of your saved game with extension.

Three files will be extracted. You need the one that is called strat_game. Open it with notepad.

4. Search for your soldier`s name (NOTE: use your soldier`s real name not a nickname).

5. Look for unitTrainings CUnitTrainings RECORD. This is a list of trainings for this particular soldier. Each entry looks like this:

CUnitTraining RECORD

type INT 1

level INT 0

improving BOOL FALSE

paused BOOL FALSE

timeToImprove INT 0

totalTimeToImprove INT 420769524

END_OF_CUnitTraining

type INT 1 - is an ID of the training that is used in various other files. Here is a list of IDs for all trainings:

1 - technician

2 - medic

3 - leader

4 - scout

5 - commando

6 - stalker

7 - ranger

8 - gunman

9 - trooper

10 - sniper

11 - cyborg

12 - psionic

level INT 0 - describes how many levels of this training your soldier has. Max is 3.

6. Find any trainings you wish to remove and set their level to 0.

7. save your strat_game file.

8. write in cmd: vfstool sin save strat_game. This should insert your modified file into your saved game.

9. copy modified save game back to its folder.

Oh, I typed without "s" before with the same result. Checked now again and the same result. It must be sth else

vfstool.exe and all files with what you are going to work must be present in that folder of yours (c:/users/piotrek).

You haven`t set the target path where vfs is going to be extracted, BTW. Not sure that this will cause any problems, just wanted to mention.

I wrote it later as you can see in lower lines. Or is it sth else? I'm not very good in this kind of stuff ;]

Oh, and the files are of course there

What is this c:/users/piotrex folder? By default cmd is opened in c:/documents and settings/user_name folder.

Where are your vfstool.exe file and savegame files exactly?

I have Windows 7 Beta and I don't have "Documents and settings" but this. These files are there (c:\Users\Piotrek) .

I may check it on my old computer with XP but I don't have UFO installed there and it's so old and rubbished that installing will take 2h. Or it's not necessary?