"UFO-2007. Unknown Project." - ON-LINE

I must admit that when I first saw this thread posted by that mysterious "1101" I thought for sure it was some kind of a scam, and probably was going to be infecting half the visitors of that website with a strange virus that would give the anti-v comps nightmares for years trying to fight it. But to actually see the work that's been put into this... :shakes his head: This is too well done to be anything other than legit, or at least that is my new converted way of thinking.

I do wonder however how exactly you will ever be able to release that publically for sale since someone probably still owns the intellectual copyrights on the UFO & X-Com names even if the owners of the game designs shut down production and killed what could have ended up being one helluva an amazing game and sent its masterminds packing without much warning.

Maybe being from Russia you can get around the legal roadblocks and BS... I sure hope you can and that no governments stop the project since its obvious that you've got some killer specs there!

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Eh I wouldn't be too sure about that. While obviously improved over the X-Com game appearances the images of certain screens should be hauntingly familiar to everyone who's ever played one. Then again... I've lost count of the amount of games/movies/shows/whatever that were obviously darkly gray in legality at best and yet never had any public problems with their predecessors so maybe I'm just worrying too much.

All the same... if I was our Russian friends I'd sleep a lot sounder at night if I moved away from that geosphere screen and onto something a lot less identifiable such as say an alert map... the screen staying a blackened out outline of the world and its countries... but when a ufo gets spotted the area around the moving ufo gets spotlighted.

And if the new designers were really willing to make leaps to make the new game even better than the old ones while avoiding law issues they could perhaps change the base setup away from the single base system and instead turn to a setup where you'd decide a region to build an underground infrasystem of base exits with the actual base being smack in the middle. Then if a UFO enterred into the coverage area of the homecraft, they would launch from out of the exit that gave the best intercept chances. And as an added bonus it would explain why those aliens have a hard time finding your bases since your exit and entry points would be constantly changing making a location fix much more difficult. ;)

You can't copyight the Geoscape concept. ALTAR used a similar system for UFO:Aftermath - a totally non-XCOM game and had no legal problems.

As for bases, UFO and TFTD are famed for having 8 bases max. On that geoscape, I can see a long list of bases. You can't copyright everything for being similar or Lucasarts could be sued by the Tombraider chaps AND id software for creating a game that's both third person like Tomb Raider and first person like Quake 2.

I seriously doubt that unless they did something silly like stick in the word X-COM or Geoscape or Battlescape then they'll be fine.

Heck, they can even use Gauss Rifle as a weapon name as every other sci-fi game does ;) As long as it's different in other areas then it'll be fine, and from what I can see it is.

* skim reads the thread *

Ooh, pretty. https://www.angelfire.com/games3/jeffy90/images/smilies/bomber.gif

Looks like this is gonna be the (-internet disconnects again-)...

Ugh.

Looks great! https://www.angelfire.com/games3/jeffy90/images/smilies/smile.gif

...mysterious "1101"...

;)

My name is Dimitry Andreev, "1101" - is my nickname, i was born and live in Russia ( https://game.stork.ru/group.htm ).

Maybe being from Russia you can get around the legal roadblocks and BS... I sure hope you can and that no governments stop the project since its obvious that you've got some killer specs there!

So...

I do not want to break of the copyrights.

I sure, while that project is a noncommercial fan-work, we are can to name that and his subjects as we would like.

When the project becomes commercial, then I shall try to find out to whom the rights on components of this project belong and to lead negotiation with this person/company (persons/companies).

I think, to that who has will be right on components of the project favourably assistance to its development and progress. And he will receive from it real profit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

...the adult iredluh represented a powerful creature by growth about two meters capable for few seconds to transform in bloody mash practically any representative fauna of the Ich-Terul not using of any weapon except for your extremities (the exception made some kinds of the inhabitants deep caves in some areas of underground space of a planet - dreadful predatory beasts, the hand-to-hand duels with which entered in to be prolonged some years ritual initiating military clans and to resist with which without the weapon and special preparation for the simple iredluh was equivalent to suicide)...

https://game.stork.ru/Catalog/alc005l.jpg

...wish to know more about iredluh? Look the complete description (planetary system, anatomy, culture, language, religion and others) on https://game.stork.ru/alnconc.htm#ac01 (russian version ;) )

Here is an english version of HWP's classification table.

That translate is not perfect (i am not professional translator), but you can learn more than you can learn from russian texts.

Mini-tanks of a class "A". As a rule, the weapon platforms of the given class represent mobile alternative to stationary weapon modules used as means of protection on various objects. The mini-tanks of the given class have no armor-protection, and are constructed on base caterpillar or spider-like the chassis, weapon module (shooting, rocket, plasma or flame-thrower's of types), of the primitive module of an aiming and module of automatic control (many models of this class are developed with use the chassis from every possible industrial mobile robot-technical systems).

Mini-tanks of a class "B". The given class mini-tank represents a weapon platform having light armor-protection and is completed by weapon modules of a various type. Caterpillar or spider-like the chassis provide a perfect maneuverability and quite good speed of movement. The advanced module of an aimings having a little bit of modes visions, allows with success to use mini-tanks of the given class in conditions of the limited visibility, and the system of battle logic provides a rather high level survival in fight.

Mini-tanks of a class "C". The mini-tank of the given class represents heavy-armored battle unit equipped with the powerful weapon module and the advanced systems of battle logic. The system of scanning/aiming on the target works in a wide range of radiations allowing successfully to find out the opponent at any time of day and in any weather conditions. The module of battle logic allows to accept the fast and exact decisions, that gives the mini-tank an opportunity adequately to react to change of environmental conditions. As a rule, mini-tank of the given class there is caterpillar a chassis, but some models are created on base spider-like the chassis.

Good luck. 1101 ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Yum. If I weren't already distracted I'd offer my efforts to edit your English translations (or whatever Babelfish makes of it) so that more people are drawn to this great-looking game.

For me it would be very opportunely (I am not the professional interpreter and my translations are far from perfect).

At the present moment I work above the English version of our site (translated already about 40 percents of a materials). If who that of english-speaking of the people could look through my texts and correct most gross blunders, I would be very grateful for such help.

Good luck. 1101