Can you engage UFOs with multiple craft?

Red_robbo

4 is the max. The UFO takes turns firing on each one and it allows you to take down things like battleships while minimizing losses.

Really? Well this makes me sound really dumb, but how do you do it? I feel such an idiot! Played x-com for ages and never realised it!

This is a reprint from the xcomufo.com forums:

First of all, send multiple craft to intercept the UFO. When one of the craft reaches the UFO and gets into intercept range, this screen will come up:

1.png

Look where the yellow arrow is. Click on that button. It is akin to the minimize button on your computer. You now return to the Geoscape mode where the other fighter craft will try to get into intercept range. In the meantime, look at the upper-left of the screen. That rectangular button is the minimized attack window for the first craft. If your second craft catches up, a screen like this will appear:

2.png

So now your second craft is in a maximized window, while craft #1 is still minimized. Click on that box in the upper left corner. (See yellow arrow). It will maximize the first craft and show this window:

3.png

Now you can attack with both fighters in a pseudo-tandem fashion. Note that you can have as many as 4 ships which can attack a UFO at the same time. To do this, just follow the above procedure. In short, you minimize craft 1-3. When craft #4 gets in range, maximize 1-3.

Good luck and happy shooting! :drink:

Took me ages to figure this out when I first started playing this game. :drink:

- Zombie

Also, do those avengers have 100 fusion balls in each launcher? CHEATS!

LOL. I was just doing some testing with craft weapons and needed to see how many FB shots you need to take down a battleship. 100 seemed like enough. :drink:

- Zombie

Sure, no probelm Red robbo. :drink:

Haha, alright you're excused. How many did it take, curious? I have an Avenger armed with 2 launchers right now and 4 definitely doesnt down the battleship...

It's averaging between 5-6 shots with dual launchers. That's about 10-12 single shots. So 6 Avengers with dual launchers and 4 bombs should take down a Battleship. Ouch. That's a lot of ships. :drink:

- Zombie

There is one IMPORTANT consideration when you send two or more interceptors after a UFO:

When the first interceptor reaches the UFO, you will have to minimise the air combat screen so that time starts running again and other interceptors can join the fray.

NEVER EVER EVER go into a tactical mission until the air combat is resolved one way or another. There is a bug in the game that causes it to crash if you go into a tactical mission with a minimised air combat screen. The worst thing about the bug is that it doesn't cause the game to crash until the end of the game month so that you will often find that you have overwritten the save games after you caused the bug to appear.

Either instruct your transport craft to abort the mission or abandon pursuit of the UFO. It may be frustrating, but not as much as having to restart the game.

• 1 month later...

Glad you're all enjoying it :)

As for my personal tactics - I generally go with the Plasma Beam (2x) on two Avengers. Sure, you take a bit of damage to at least one craft, but it gets the job done quickly.

Of course when you're at a stage where you can spare the Avengers being out of action you should really have finished the game :D