Simple Weapons Modding?

Akmatov

Total newbie, just got SS recently and even more recently got it working.

However, something is bugging the heck out of me - the wierd designations, i.e. .38 calibre Parabellum vic 9mm Parabellum and the odd weapons I'm finding in the hands of the Nazi troops. I've already seen more Mauser 1896 'broomhandle' pistols than I expect were actually on the Russian Front, not to mention all the Soviet weapons in the hands of Wehrmacht troops in the West.

Would it be difficult to:

1) change some of the designations?

2) change the weapons the Germans use?

If not I guess I'm doomed to fighting Nazi armed with M1 Carbines and BARs, both in 7.62mm of all things. I'm fully expecting to meet a 7.62mm 06 vic .30 06.

thanks

When the S^2 came out Nival explained the "allied weapons in axis hands" -thing that it's just for the

realism. Axis troops actually used all weapons what they get during war. Allied forces used usually just

their own weapons (but not partisans ofcourse).

-------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, if you want to change that, you have to check what mobs are in the zone/mission

and then change those mobs "WeaponID" or "WeaponInHand/WeaponInBackpack".

"WeaponID" is easy to change. "WeaponInHand/WeaponInBackpack" comes from the "Chest"-table

and orginals are hard to change (delete/addnew doesn't do the job) so the best way could be if you

make new one(s) and add it to the mob.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this helps even a bit...

Mikko

Thanks for the responses. I've nevered modded, but would like to give this a try and this 'might' be something simple - I'll see.

KoMik,

Certainly understand about the Germans using any weapons they could get their hands on. That is perhaps best know in terms of armoured vehicles, but it certainly applied to a wide range of things. Still, a majority of the equipment would be German; and certainly if you are dealing with German troops infiltrated into Scotland you'd expect them to have the best of the German arsenal, not 50 year old Russian rifles and a crappy WW1 French light machine gun.

However, these a MINOR issues in a very very good game.

Thanks,

if you are dealing with German troops infiltrated into Scotland you'd expect them to have the best of the German arsenal, not 50 year old Russian rifles and a crappy WW1 French light machine gun.

Sure of that, some mistake in the game: you will find MP43/stg44 in the hand of Thor hammer and never in the german armement store???

But for the chatellerault, sorry it is from1924, modified in 1929, and it was a good "fusil mitrailleur" used a lot by german, not only due to shortage of weapons.May be the only good weapons in the french army.

And in the game, I do not know why, it is the best LMG, good% to hit, very low AP to use ???

sure the Mg 34 in Lmg was better, but there are a lot a mistakes in the game.

I am currently working on weapons to add in the game (I am waiting H&S editor release to do a mod, but I exercice on the S2 &S3), If you got info to share you are welcome, and the other too!

Good game

Brandenburg,

Opps, I made a mistake. I confused the WWI Chauchat with the later Chatellerault. I'm not familier with the Chatellerault, but I've read several unhappy comments about the Chauchat of WW1. Thanks for the correction.

I don't think I'm a weapons nut, but some of the oddities in S2 are a bit jarring, so a weapons mod would be GREAT!

BTB, a not commonly know fact about the excellent 120mm mortar that the Germans copied from the Russians; is that the Russians copied it from a French Brandt mortar that wasn't issued in any large number. There was some excellent French equipment.

Brandenburg,

I'm not familier with the Chatellerault, but I've read several unhappy comments about the Chauchat of WW1. Thanks for the correction.

yes sir, Chauchat were so bad that they gave them to the U.S troops! :)

You know, there are so much stupid and non reliable things wrote about weapons on the net, that it is easy to be mistaken.

The worst in SS serie is with the SMLE MK1 (lee enfield rifle): you reload it with a 5 rounds clips and not a 10 rounds magazine, the detachable mag. was just for an easy cleaning! :argh:

and the colt 1911A1 has a 7 rounds mag as the Delisle carbine; this last one can however have a 11 rounds too

The Mauser M712 schnellfeuer pistol M 1932 is a full auto/semi auto pistol with rate of fire of 1000rds/mn, the welrod got a 6 rounds magazine and can be found in 9 mm luger or in.32ACP... And many other mistakes, one every 2 weapons, but it is an excelent game, waiting H&S :cool:

I didn't know for the mortar, good info, thanks.

some of my last work I would add

You mention H&S. Will there be some sort of better modding support in H&S that can be used with S2/3?

Yes, with S3, read the interesting posts of Novik. And look at H&S screenshot, you would see T34 and PanzerIII or IV ? (Ido not remember the model) so I could do a good WW2 mod. I want to do some "Panzer knacker" type missions, and "resistance" fighting. So the anti armored vehicule weapons would be useful, not like in S2.

But I want to keep the medals reward fonction, and that is not easy_I am still trying to find a way_

• 2 weeks later...
Would it be difficult to:

1) change some of the designations?

Like you, I'm fairly frustrated by some of the designations in the game. I attribute this to the fact that the game was developed by Russians, who wrote the game in English, translated it into Russina, and then back into English. And considering I don't speak Russian, or know the Cyrillic alphabet, I think I can cut them some slack! :)

Well, after mucking around in the SQL tables the 1st time I was very frustrated by the fact that changing the names in the Weapons table had no effect in game. Finally figured out how to do it. Here's how.

(This is assuming you know how to open and edit the database)

1) Open tbl.RPGWeapons, and select the weapon you want to edit.

2) Find the field [NameID] and note the number listed.

3) Open tbl.Strings and match [tbl.Strings.ID] to [tbl.RPGWeapons.NameID] and then edit the string.

4) Voila! New names!

2) change the weapons the Germans use?

I only got the game a couple of weeks ago, so I haven't looked into this yet. But, as soon as I figure it out, I'll post my results.

Total newbie, just got SS recently and even more recently got it working.

However, something is bugging the heck out of me - the wierd designations, i.e. .38 calibre Parabellum vic 9mm Parabellum

I got a list of actuals names of weapons for S2/S3/H&S I have done after 5 months of research on manufacturer or Military weapons' handbooks & use manuals, so no erroneous informations as on most Web sites (included encyclopedias which copy mystakes of the other!)

If it could be be of some interest for you or somebody else, your welcome and I will put it zipped on the forum .

Good work

• 2 weeks later...
I'm working on a weapons mod myself. It fixes a lot of the problems you describe with regard to ammo and weapons. For instance, both Thompson SMGs will use .45 ACP ammo, and their names have been swapped. Also, the .38 Parabellum is changed to 9mm Parabellum, the 7.62mm Springfield is renamed to .30-06, and the 7.62mm Garand is changed to .30 Carbine. This is just a few examples; the whole list is too long for me to remember fully right now. :( Mainly it corrects strange errors and Americanizes ammo names where appropriate (what can I say, I'm American). After that's done, I'm going to look at adding new weapons.

• 2 years later...
1) Open tbl.RPGWeapons, and select the weapon you want to edit.

2) Find the field [NameID] and note the number listed.

3) Open tbl.Strings and match [tbl.Strings.ID] to [tbl.RPGWeapons.NameID] and then edit the string.

4) Voila! New names!

Sounds cool but... When I open tbl. "RPGWeapons" there are columns such as: "ID", "FolderID", "UserName", "WeaponTypeID" and many others, but I don't see the field "NameID".

Another thing is that in tbl. "String" neither "ID" field, nor "FolderID" field doesn't match anything in tbl. "RPGWeapons". :oh:

My another question is about ammo names editing. Is it done the same way as weapons names and I don't need to change "UserName" in tbl. "RPGAmmos"? In other words, either changing weapon or ammo names, the only table which I play with is "String" table?

If anyone could help me (just one example please), I would be very grateful.

Best regards,

Ros

Sounds cool but... When I open tbl. "RPGWeapons" there are columns such as: "ID", "FolderID", "UserName", "WeaponTypeID" and many others, but I don't see the field "NameID".

Another thing is that in tbl. "String" neither "ID" field, nor "FolderID" field doesn't match anything in tbl. "RPGWeapons". :P

My another question is about ammo names editing. Is it done the same way as weapons names and I don't need to change "UserName" in tbl. "RPGAmmos"? In other words, either changing weapon or ammo names, the only table which I play with is "String" table?

Hi, Ros.

In order to change weapon's name one needs to make a new entry ( or change the existing one) in the "NameID" under "Strings" in the RPG items Tab (not RPG weapons) or in the appropriate String in the "Strings" Tab.

Example (keep in mind this is done from within the editor):

Say, we want to change the somewhat misplaced name "Sauer38X" to a more appropriate "Sauer38H" so that it shows the corrected name in the game. Here are the steps:

0. Select your mod/Start the editor

1. In the main editor window click "Select Tabs"

2. In the Tabs window check the "RPG items" (or "Strings" if you already know where to find the appropriate string)

3. In the Tree view (usually on the left part of the editor window) a new Tab is available for viewing named "RPG items"

4. Select it and find the item you want to modify. In this case it's RPGitems-Weapons-Pistols-Sauer38X

5. Select Sauer38X (double click). The image of the weapon will show up in the middle and on the right side you'll see the properties window (if not then check it in the "View" at the top of the editor window)

6. In the Properties window scroll down to "Strings", there will be "NameID" under it. To the right of "NameID" in the "Value" column there will be an entry "Names\Weapons\Pistols\Sauer38X".

7. Click on it. A button will appear just to the right of that entry. Click on the button. That will open the "Strings" window (which can also be accessed directly by going to "Strings" Tab/ step 2)

8. There will be 2 entries: String and Comment. Enter whatever you wish to be shown in the game as the new name in the "String" part, in our case "Sauer 38H" instead of "Sauer 38X". Press "OK".

9. Done.

P.S. Try to keep the names short. They'll show but will look a bit errr...."off"

P.S.2: ...and, of course, press the "Build" button, so that your mod files reflect the changes you've made

Hope this helps :oh:

Blunter

[...] Hope this helps :)

Blunter -> With your post you've cleared some things for me, so BIG thanks! :P

My problem was that I'm not using S2 Editor (my mod tool is EMS SQL Manager Lite for SQL Server) to mess with various tables, so sometimes I'm not familiar with simpler methods.

But there is light at the end of a tunel. I've checked "String" table using EMS Manager and found out strings coresponding to weapons, ammos and items (such as ammo clips) names in game. I've also matched "UserName" field from "RPGItems" table to correct string in "Strings" table.

This way I was able to change "Lee-Enfield Mk1 Scoped" to "Lee-Enfield No.4 Mk I (T)", which was correct British Army codename for this rifle.

Now I only need time and patience to complete my own "Guns & Ammo Mod". Wish me good luck. :oh:

Best regards,

Ros.