Laser wanzers are not my favourite.

Gungadin

In the base defense mission that looks a little like D-day with you on the side of the defenders, I have succeeded in destroying the first attack wave at the first trenches using 5 guys with machineguns in wanzers. (I laff at your puny submachinegun, feeble Hammer trooper! Haw Haw!) However, whenever I get remotely close to the black wanzer that appears next, I get a laser sandwich that takes out my leader in one turn. What's the trick to bringing down this Star Wars reject without losing my pretty wanzer? Should I have left my wanzers behind and taken the enemy on on foot instead?

On an awesome note, seeing the Sentinel guard tower sniper get taken down along with the whole tower was one of the coolest things I've seen in an action game of this kind.

Nice!

The laser weapons are also really good for taking out enemy 'wanzers', but I'm not sure if you have them by that point in the game (haven't gotten that far yet).

And the collapsing tower is certainly cool. My favorite is when the baddie does a backflip as he falls and then hits the ground and flips again.

:twisted:

Hee hee!

Nice!

The laser weapons are also really good for taking out enemy 'wanzers', but I'm not sure if you have them by that point in the game (haven't gotten that far yet).

And the collapsing tower is certainly cool. My favorite is when the baddie does a backflip as he falls and then hits the ground and flips again.

:twisted:

Hee hee!

You can get sniper cannons for the 'Wanzers' (I like that term ;) ) at this stage although I think you have to buy them.

An easy way to do this is to lay down a mine field during the set up stage at the start of the mission. Remember with 'Wanzers' you need a weapon with high pentration to get a hit (anything over 60 should do the job). Set two small fields on the main trail into the base. one low done in the wood and one further up just below the slope. The first field will take out the 3 wanzers that turn up first, and you should be able to destroy these before they get anywhere near the second (I found that if a 'wanzer' steps on a min then this normally immobilises them making them sitting ducks for 'wanzer' sniper cannons) Make sure you get a good spread of the heavier mines in both fields. And don't forget to kill any terrorist before they accidentially step on the second field :D

Obliterate the terrorists on foot first, then let the Wanzers walk straight into you mine field. Mop up with heavy weapons, then run away and hide so the black wanzer walks far enough up the path into the second field before it stops and starts shooting you to ribbons. Once it's badly damaged, blow it to pieces with armour piercing rockets and grenades. Sneaking a scout up close with a bazooka does the trick quite well I find, but make sure the rockets are ARMOUR PIERCING!

That was a hell mission. I was 'almost' able to do it with mines and good use of armour piercing rounds, but after banging my head against the wall for a few nights, playing it over and over and trying to map out and predict each move the enemy would make, I gave up.

I used a create object cheat, gave my guys UFO Style Laser Rifles, and blew the attackers to kingdom come.

It's not as satisfying, and I felt I had cheated myself, but at least I could move on.

That was a hell mission. I was 'almost' able to do it with mines and good use of armour piercing rounds, but after banging my head against the wall for a few nights, playing it over and over and trying to map out and predict each move the enemy would make, I gave up.

I used a create object cheat, gave my guys UFO Style Laser Rifles, and blew the attackers to kingdom come.

It's not as satisfying, and I felt I had cheated myself, but at least I could move on.

One of the biggest puzzles I had with both S2 and S3 was what on earth the mortars were for once you get PKs (sorry, wanzers!) It wasn't until this mission that I realised that if you didn't have a weapon fixed on one of the wanzer arms you could use the mortars instead..... mortars (especially the heavy ones) are very very effective at eliminating enemy wanzers, only drawn back is getting close enough to get them in range. Remeber, when firing at the wanzers take a look at your weapon penentration value. If it's below 50 it isn't worth the effort. Ideally it should be 60 or above. Only some of the rifles or armour pericing grenades and bazooka rockets can do this....

This mission was certainly tough but I didn't find it that difficult. The most annoying thing was the dodgy AI putting 2 defenders on both machine gun emplacements and then not having them fire at anyone :D

In the end I had to resort to friendly fire to get them off so my team could use them to waste a large group of terrorists running up the grass banks on each side ;)