151 replies to this topic

#41 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 05:43 AM

Right ho fellow information gatherers...

I've been trying to write a few articles off-line, but can never quite get them done due to other things I have to deal with, like my life, sleep and work.

If I have time I'd like to move on to gathering the stats for the auto-cannon - and perhaps even make a half-hearted attempt at writing up a description. Anyone have any ideas on what other information should be gathered in the 'gun usage' section I've been putting into the weapons? I've included a short list on how many shots of a certain type can be fire in any given turn. Not too sure what else of interest can be included.

One article I've always wanted to write was a Starter's guide to X-Com Apocalypse. But I could never quite structure it right - I'd write something and end up with a big unreadable mess. If only I could work out some sort of basic skeleton that I can build off... oh well.

- NKF
NKF - finally built a gaming PC in 2020 (though not any of that RGB nonsense). Can now play games up to '89!

#42 JellyfishGreen

JellyfishGreen

Tentacle Pentacle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 02:23 PM

Hey warriors,

I did a bit of copying and pasting just now between my entries in the Field Manual and the Wiki. I would have to vote against the extra "(UFO Defense)" tag on the UFO/XCOM pages.

When I'm linking to the "Heavy Laser" page - there is only one heavy laser! I just want to use [[Heavy Laser]] in my link rather than adding the (UFO Defense) hidden text.
Likewise psionics, molecular control, blaster bombs, gauss guns - the names in each game are unique. So why complicate the page names?

As for crossover between the games - what about just "XCOM Weapons" vs "TFTD Weapons" where necessary?

JFG
The deadly Lobsterman threat was finally countered by melee combat with power tools. -ufopaedia.org

#43 GazChap

GazChap

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 10:54 PM

Sorry I've not been around much! I've been a bit ill over the past few weeks so haven't had much computer time at all :cool:

You are all free to change the pages around however you want. Removing the "(UFO Defense)" part is probably a good idea. I'd forgotten that there are no "Heavy Weapons Platforms" in TFTD, they are called SWSs aren't they? So yes, it's a unique name.

I'll hopefully be able to contribute some stuff now that I'm feeling a bit better, although I've now got a metric ton of work to catch up on too!

#44 Jasonred

Jasonred

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 11:39 AM

Guys... write more. Remember, a wiki is a CONSTANT WORK IN PROGRESS. So, if you don't have the time to  write and edit something really polished, just add whatever useful content you have to the page, help polish the html...

Recent changes page is always a good place to peek at.

#45 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 01:00 PM

I got my own 'net connection now, so this is one of the (many) things I need to catch up on.

Seems the thing has changed a little bit - You might all need to update your bookmarks.
BB's X-Com Projects Page - X-Com Games At GamersGate
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
We love Tammy! :)

#46 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 12:36 AM

For anyone who wants to write articles but don't know how, you can use the following for reference:

http://meta.wikimedi...nts#For_editors

I found the following particularly useful:

http://meta.wikimedi...illing_the_page

- NKF
NKF - finally built a gaming PC in 2020 (though not any of that RGB nonsense). Can now play games up to '89!

#47 Danial

Danial

Resident Muton

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 03:22 AM

I've made my first additions to the wiki...

I've added Encumberance info to the TUs section, as well as starting on all the missing soldier stats (except bravery cuz I don't know much about it).

I've also added the game's breifings into each mission type.

I've never used a wiki before, so I hope I did everything right :angry:

#48 Danial

Danial

Resident Muton

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 06:39 AM

I'm on a roll now...

I've just finished adding the Silacoid, Reaper, and Cyberdisc pages! :angry:

#49 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 06:43 AM

NKF has had a minor brainstorm which has resulted in a temporary infection of 3rd person speech syndrome that will last by the end of this run on sentence that really needs more punctuation.

What say you if we have 64x64 or larger pixel images of the individual base modules as seen in the geoscape base screen. Dirt, modules, everything. Then, for whatever reason, if we decide that an illustration of a base is necessary, it could be pieced together in a 6 column by 6 row table? In either Wiki or HTML table formatting, it doesn't matter.

I was also thinking of having identicals illustrations but for the lower level floorpans of the base modules as well. It would be much more functional than the simple geoscape base screen icons and it would illustrate how movement in the base will flow. Maybe even map out the spawn points as well? Actually, that may be a little too ambitious.

Mad? Perhaps. But I thought I'd toss it out and see it get ripped to shreds.

- NKF

P. S: To existing part-time article writers (like yours truly) and potential new writers (you): When writing similar articles in the UFO and TFTD sections, you don't have to copy and paste entire blocks of text verbatim and only change a few game-specific nouns. Flex those creative pecs my friends! At the very least it'll break the monononononotonyny (when do I stop?).

P. P. S: I really should say, try not to copy and paste word for word. Sometimes it cannot be helped, so don't worry yourself too much about it. Just keep it in mind when creating new articles.

#50 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 07:00 AM

I reckon I could easily build a java applet that would accept parameters and display bases accordingly.  :D

If we stored it on the Wiki server then we could hotlink to it from our forums posts, even.

#51 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 07:08 AM

For wiki articles, I meant, but it would be fun to have them as mini-smily-type icons on this forum too! :D

It shouldn't require 36 unique icons. Just the 15 base modules + 1 dirt icons used by the game (twice that if you want the lower-level floorpans). You probably wouldn't even need to use a table. Just display a row of six on the first line, line break, the next line, and so on.

- NKF

#52 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 07:12 AM

Sorry, I worked out what you meant and chopped out some of the content of my post.  :D  

At first I thought you meant displaying all the icons making up your map in a forum post, meaning you'd need to display 36 images there (which the forum is configured to disallow).

#53 Grimnoch

Grimnoch

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 01:44 PM

I made a short page for the Abductor. I didn't know how to link to a certain part of a page for the Alien Missions, since they're all listed on one page. Either way, its there now. I didn't have the official description given by engineers in game, will add that later.

#54 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 04:07 PM

Do you guys mind if I add some parts about Apocalypse? I noticed that it's completely empty (except someone who has apparently added random pieces of information scattered around). I don't think I can be as creative or informative as NKF or any of you, but just help make the section a bit useful for us Apoc lovers :P
Posted Image

#55 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 06:52 PM

I originally populated the Apocalypse listing with bits and pieces to get the ball rolling, but it was meant to be a draft and I never intended for them to actually be used as-is. Rather, I was expecting them to be reorganized or at least streamlined before articles were actually created.

But of course, feel free to add or completely re-do any of the sections as you see fit. The wiki is an ever growing beast, and the more contributors, the better. Sometimes it's a bit awkward when you realise there's only handful of us that regularly add to it...

- NKF

#56 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 11:00 PM

I'll see if I can be helpful there :P
Posted Image

#57 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 12:14 AM

Oops, apparently I deleted your comments, NKF :) I changed some names in the main page in the Apocalypse entries, and I really didn't realise that the whole content was deleted when the name was changed, I'm terribly sorry. I promise I'll try to work on the Apocalypse part as much as possible to repair the damage and to give the wiki a decent Apocalypse source :P
Posted Image

#58 Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke

The Smily Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 05:05 AM

The content wasn't deleted. You just pointed the Wiki away from where the content was.

If it's any help, if you go to the 'recent changes' page, you can see all the notes where any user has done something. If you click the 'diff' link for a given edit, it will show you the exact changes made. Thus if you want to know what it was previously, you can use this information to change it back.

Given this, I'll attempt to track down the old pages, and move their content onto the new pages you have created.

*BB goes and checks on what was done*

Woah, that's a lot of pages to shift!  :P  'Scuse me if I mess the main page up a bit while I work.

Edit: Actually, turns out that there's a built in function to change the name of a Wiki-page, so that'll simplify things a bit.  :)

What I wouldn't mind is a button to remove pages. Can't seem to find one. Even 'renaming' a page leaves a re-direct, you can't wipe out all trace. Must have to manually remove the info from the server, as a security measure or something.  :)

#59 Loupgris

Loupgris

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 01:33 PM

http://www.strategyc...?showtopic=4339 It may interest peoples about wikipedia article.

#60 Grimnoch

Grimnoch

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 02:04 PM

I think the scoring system for captured aliens is mistaken. I've never gotten many points for captured aliens, especially soldiers and terrorists. I'm pretty sure I've even gotten 0 points before on reapers or chryssalids.

To check, I let a muton terror ship land, and captured 4 live aliens. I got 36 points for them...thats less than 10 each. This is on the playstation version, but I think its the same elsewhere(been a long time since I played it on pc).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users