computer games

Ivory

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously uncalled for.

Isn't this supposed to be an in-depth mature discussion? I saw a comment on females being "useless" in gaming. So I responded to it.

Let's get back on topic before this turns into another politics thread. *Sigh*

I don't think it is sexist if the player has to combine this element into the game. For instance, in X-Ccom Acopalypse the player can combine human, android and hybrid soldiers in his/her squad. Each type has advantages and disadvantages so the player has to work out the optimal combination. And the optimal combination changes as the game progresses.

I don't where the rest of your point factors into what your first sentence says... But I'm pretty sure I know where you're getting at. And I think I disagree.

When you say sexism, that's prejudice towards sex. This is no present in X-COM Apocalypse, as each soldier has random stats of equal measure to their race, not gender. (In fact, I have heard both here, and the X-COM Apocalypse source, people bitching about how females don't have less skills than the males.) Though this occurs with the races, this isn't for the purpose of distinguishing different species, mutant, human, android, etc... It's merely to set in different skill level foci.

Now, there are certain games where females simply have different skills than males. And this is where I think your point comes into play more. These would be the games, as Fullauto has already noted, where the women are stuck with the fast yet soft hitters while men are lumbering hulks'o'power but slower than Bush on an english test.

I'm assuming that your point is that 'different people have different abilities' and therefore, when the fast woman (Sounds dirty when said out of context...) and the slow moving guy combine their abilities towards a common goal, it simply becomes the overall team. This is not so, at least not to the public eye.

I personally don't see the difference unless I ignore the gender completely. (I think this is what you're doing here. Since you moved on from sexism to generalized racism in your post.) Because the fact remains that you still have men and women with different class of stats.

Despite the fact I don't agree with your logic, I also don't agree that it's sexist... To an extent.

When I look at games like Shadow Watch, where I see females as the quick and nimble type while the males are the big gunners, I have a hard time seeing it as sexism. For one, there's very little T&A, the main female is plot critical, and one is even referred to as a good driver. (No sexist can resist the opportunity to insult woman drivers)

But then I look at Blood Rayne... Or Unreal 2. Unreal 2, the only main female character was a very busty dirty blonde whose character was sorely overdeveloped compared to the rest of the cast. Blood Rayne... She's a leather clad red-headed vampire with no shortage of 'ass-shots'. Both are clearly labeling them as sex symbols.

Am I complaining? Yes and no. After all, how many games have we played feature a buff military dude with rippling muscles who's always getting the girl? *Cough*Duke Nukem*Cough* Girls complaining that Lara is a bad influence since you can't get breasts like that without surgery... Do you think we can look like the fuggin' Serious Sam without a few dozen steroid treatments!?

So yeah. I think some games are sexist. But it's not a bad thing. Sexism in society itself is what counts.

It all comes back to the base of this topic. Just like violence, sexism is frequently complained about in video games. Although not to the same degree. I say, be as sexist as you want in a video game. Considering there's plenty of games with impossibly buff male characters, a few games with impossibly big breasted women does nothing but even things out.

i have (once again) ignoresd the most part of strong bobs quote becasue altho he says i am random, he wears the crown on that one.

i put the (im no femisnist) bit after wards for (the majority of) people to understand it wasnt a comment on sexist attitudes.

back to the point.

is the overall oppinion i will get from this site biased?? oppinions please (short ones at that!! try to stick to under 200 words!)

*barely resists temptation to pretend to NEVER play a computer game*

Instead of sexism, I think it is more of a case of game developers knowing that the majority of gamers are male teenagers and 20somethings. Look at the people posting at this board: most of us are male and at 29 I am one of the old timers. Sticking in some attractive female characters is just a marketing decision to make a game more appealing to young men, who are therefore being exploited by the developers.

It is similar to an advertisement that tries to make you think that you will become irresistable to the opposite sex if you buy their product. I am currently suing the company behind the Lynx deodeerants and shower gel because it failed to magically improve my chances in this area... :huh:

The gender discussion wasn't exactly in any heated element, as far as I could tell. Just a misunderstanding at some point, in regards to chosen dialogue. Nothing to really get excited about.

Genders in video games actually fit in with the chosen topic to a degree. As both violence and sexuality have both been the product of scorn in the movie and video game industry, and are worthy of discussion. Will it be better if a separate topic for it was made? It would be redundant but I wouldn't mind.

Sticking in some attractive female characters is just a marketing decision to make a game more appealing to young men, who are therefore being exploited by the developers.

Is it really exploitation when such a product is desired? Males from pre-teen and up, for the most part, enjoy having an attractive female as a game character. It is why games like "DOA Extreme Beach Volleyball" sold so well. The volleyball physics of the game were not quite up to par, so what drew people to the game? Did the majority of buyers actually buy it to play video volleyball? I don't doubt that some did, but I don't know any personally. :lol:

So, on your question Ivory. Yes, we are biased here for the most part. As someone said, we all play computer games, that's why we're here. That being said this basically means we know more about the issue that the people that blame computer games in my opinion :huh:

If a person is a violent type, then they will take to violent things more in life. If a person is more pacifistic, then they will take to more pacifistic things in life. (I mean that in a literal sense, being that a pacifistic person may still enjoy fragging things to pieces in a game of Unreal Tournament. But may do things like join the Peace Corpse... While the violent guy may draw flowers in his spare time, but enjoy hurting people through beatings.)

sorry, just reading back, Lol at Peace Corpse! is there any other kind?

• 3 years later...