Elerium 115

Solfius

Just a note, but power suits do use elerium for their manufacture, but it's only 5 units as opposed to the 16 units for flying suits.

The only things I ever use elerium for are armor manufacture, hovertanks, and craft plasma weapons. I rarely waste time with fusion ball launchers.

As for getting it, the supply ship raids are the perfect method. On the last game I played, I actually had to sell elerium because I had so much. Each interceptor base had 500 units, my R&D base had 1000 units, and my combat base had about 750. Of course, I had 2 snakeman bases near my main combat base, as well as a floater base. I ended up using the supply ships as basic training missions for rookies. :confused:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand why some people have E-115 probs. I personally never use the more advance craft (except the avenger for base raids) and i don't make hovertanks too often. The only real thing i use E-115 for is power armor and plasma cannons (and of course PSY AMPS :inlove: ) but PA only require only 5 or so E-115 and i rarely need to make a lot of plasma cannons. If you let ships land then assult them you should have an unlimited supply. Well thats just my opinion on the matter and others may use the E-115 chugging equipment but for me its Power Armor, Interceptors, and the Skyrangers all the way.

I want to know two thing:

1) What color is real Elerium 115? I mean, it's purple in UFO: Enemy Unknown/X-COM: UFO Defense, but it's red in X-COM: Apocalypse.

2) When you say Elerium 115, do you say it like 1-1-5 or 100-15?

I like to pronounce it ee-el-eh-ven-five[1]. :confused:

The battlescape sprite is purple, but when you pick it up it's orange-yellow. This happens VERY rarely, mind you, unless you use XComutil to select the craft you want to assault, in which case you'll find some elerium lying about. The number of elerium crystals stay the same despite the type of ship you select.

- NKF

[1] 115 is quite a common number in UFO.

Heavy plasmas deal 115 damage.

Plasma rifles need a soldier with 115 accuracy before you can fire 100% accurate snapshots.

[edit] scratch that. I redid my calculations and realised I forgot that I'd multiplied it with kneeling accuracy. You really just need 101. The heavy plasma, if you have 115 AND kneel, then you'll get 99.18% accurate snapshots. Just off by 1 point. [end edit]

115% or 1.15 is the number you multiply your accuracy by when you kneel.

In the real world the 115th element does exist, but unfortunately it's unstable (like all heavy elements)

Its funny you should say that...I remember talking to my chemistry teacher about something similar, and apparently something like E115 might well exist, but it's more likely to be found around a=120-125. Current thinking (well, current thinking 3 or 4 years ago :confused: ) predicted a plateau of stability around there.

So, find me the biggest Goddamned particle accelerator you can............. :D

If you do a Google search for "element 115" and "UFO" you actually get quite a few hits in the Ufo Conspiracy Folklore department.

(In the Latin naming convention, E-115 would be called Ununpentium.)

For instance, Bob Lazar says using your E-115-powered gravity emitters in a delta formation allows interstellar travel.

https://home.earthlink.net/~apawlo/ufocona51.html

And the firefight in 1979 when the Greys attempted to overrun the underground base at Dulce, New Mexico must sound familiar.

https://www.geocities.com/owo11/Ryolite38.html

So, did Mythos Games know of this connection when they wrote X-COM?

Oh, I think that we can safley assume that they had detailed intimate knowledge of every alien incursion on our planet.

Whether that's because they were in on it, or because there have been no incursions, I leave for you to decide. All I'm saying is that there have been no incursions that have not involved at least one team member.

In my point of view, the Elerium 115 (I said 100-15) is yellow when it cold and orange in hot condition...

U can find the normal Elerium in Ufopedia (Yellow one) and u can see Elerium in hot condition in UFO (for engine).

U can also think that the real color of E115 is muti-color, always changing (after all it is an E.T. element)

Umbriel the small veteran

Makes sense, I suppose. It's not like you're going to just plug raw uncut elerium crystals into the engine, are you?

I think they never made an elerium canister icon because you're not meant to go about picking up elerium canisters. :confused:

Heh, speaking of which, try these on for size:

- alien corpses

- rocket launcher rockets

Put them in your hands and look at what your unit ends up carrying. Corpses look like standard rifles, and rockets look like stun-rods. Pity they don't work. :D

- NKF

Yup... pity. A whole squad carrying Sectoid corpses could do a lot of damage if the graphics managed to confuseteh rest of the programming! :confused:

As for the ages old question now of

Speaking of Battleships, has anyone successfully destroyed a battleship that was making a B-line right for your base? Not the battleships scouting for your base, but the ones that appear after they've found the base and are now intent on throwing themselves against you until at least one of their ships get through.

Anyone? I've never been able to shoot them down, even with Avengers. They always seemed to be just a tiny fraction faster.

Yup. But, the battleship needs to be a good three or four inches away from your base, and your Avenger MUST be taking off from that base in order to intercept. Chasing it doesn't work AT ALL!

Fortunately, I had at least two Avengers at my three bases, with three in my main European base. All bases had three fusion ball launchers and a grav shield. Their shields can't repel firepower of that magnitude! (sorry... slipped into Start Wars mode there :D ). Why two to three Avengers? Simple. One battleship will do anywhere up to 50% damage when going up against your Avenger armed with Plasma Cannons.

Right... back to the original topic, in the beginning, chase after every UFO with a vengeance. They're after your planet, nd you're after their technology. A lot of poeple get bored with the tactical missions too early into the game. You can't let this happen. You can easily make up to a few million of yer average UFO once they start carrying Heavy Plasma weaponry.

DON'T build fusion ball launchers, as they're pants. The only thing you might want them for are the Battleships, but even then you should have better base defences, and Plasma Cannons.

Flying Armour is the biggest user of Elerium you'll get. I went overboard and decided that all 60 of my men (spread across the three bases,a nd forty only used for base defence - I had £20000000 by that point :D ) needed the best armour and weaponery. There were eight alien bases to choose from, and three were in Europe. Letting the craft land was the best source of Elerium, weaponry and corpses.

Unfortunately, after three days of playing I decided that enough was enough, assaulted a base, got myn final research and went off to Mars. The End :tank:

I was going to move onto Terror From The Deep after that, but I rememebr jsut how much more... awkward the game is. Three levels of the Alien city to look forward to at the end and you can't save on the last level? Surely Microprose got invaded by some serious sadists that day!

My two-penny's worth :cry:

And it's "one-one-five" if only because saying elerium-eleven-five too fast sounds like elublublublub... erm... five. :D:cry:

Everyone i know that has played the game (thats not at this forum) call E-115 Elerium-One-Fifteen. Just thought I'ed throw it out there. Color.... Hmm Ok...

Yellow- Never seen it. The UFOPEDIA pic looks orange to me (actually its a tiny bit yellow but mostly orange)

Orange- Most common color. Maybe its orange is its nonactive?

Red- Apoc color i think. Maybe its red due to they way humans refine it?

Purple- Not quite sure how anyone came up with that color.... Maybe the color it is when active??? :D Are you talking about the liquid like stuff in the amps?

Conslusion eather its the state its in or its the lighting.

Question why does the Psi Amp need E-115 anyway?

-PSY GUY- :confused:

I think we can settle on a hue of orange.

See, on one extreme, we have yellow, and on the other we have red. In between we have a variety of orange hues.

The psi amp needs a power source to operate the thing. I'm guessing it takes a lot of power, and what better power source is there than a lump of elerium?

The pink goopy stuff is something else entirely. I think it's just pink glass.

- NKF

I would like to think Elerium 115 color's changes in different environments:

Red: When it's first mined.

Purple: After it's been taken out of the Anti-Matter Reactor (after it been used for so long)

Yellow/Orange: The aftermath of what would happen after it was taken out of the Anti-Matter Reactor.

But in the end, BKF is right. I mean they never said it could change color.

By the way: I like to say it one-one-five.