ComboMod 3.0

Aralez

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In one of my missions, I got to fight against Etherials, and they were indeed carrying Psi Weapons. Great stuff.

In another mission, I used that Barrett Elephant gun and took down a Danglefly that was packing a Super Striker.

Now I'm getting a good sampling of weaponry, and it's time for those SpecOps dudes to show up again. I might could slug it out with them instead of hiding behind fences and lobbing grenades.

Regarding the flare stun thing, I think it is about right, execpt for one thing. If they are as light as you say, a person should be able to throw them at a much farther range, or at least throw them at the soldier's range limit. The flares didn't seem to have as good a range or throwing rate as the grenades did. I would have liked to be able to drop a flare on the enemy first and then throw the grenades, but they seemed to come into range of the grenades faster, so you just end up throwing grenades right from the moment they are in range of the grenades. See what I'm getting at? I want to be able to soften or slow them up with flares, and then switch to grenades for the enemies that have gotten through and are getting closer. Then it would make it harder for them to rush you if the flares have a longer throwing range than the grenades. So maybe that little change would be in order. You would be wanting to carry and throw the flares first if the flares had a longer range than the grenades. Might be something to consider. Otherwise, besides somewhat annoying shorter range of the flares, I think the new flare stun tactic is an interesting and useful addition to our bag of tricks.

Edit: There is another little trick that I do with weapons like the Barrett and the SuperStriker that have limited ammunition. I have the soldier reload with a full clip before the previous clip is completely empty. Then the partially empty clips are refilled when you get back to base, and you are usually given another clip. That way, instead of running out of ammunition and not being able to use the Barrett and the SuperStriker due to lack of ammunition, I instead get all the clips filled that I took on the last mission plus I get one or two clips more when I get back to base. So, before long, instead of having no clips of Barrett ammunition, I'm going up one or two clips per mission, and soon, I will have twelve clips, then 14 clips, then 16 clips, and so forth. I got two of the Barret rifle from the Spec Ops, and as long as I reload just before a clip is empty, I just keep getting more and more clips, and I'll never run out of Barrett ammunition, even though it is a gun that is supposed to have sparse ammunition. That M82 Barrett has more range than a LurkerGun, and it is really good at softening up the incoming enemies. In one of my missions, the Barrett chewed up my Muton as if he were paper, so it also packs a whallop. To first get the two Barrett guns, I hid behind fences drawing the SpecOps soldiers into range with their obsessive compulsion to rush you if you are hiding and they can't see you, and presto, I grenaded them to death when they got into range. But, if you are caught out in the open and the SpecOps have the Barrett gun, suddenly your whole team is dead.

slaughter why isnt aralez a admin anymore?

You never know what button he's going to push... :(. After the site was hacked we are reluctant to give away admin rights. Not because we don't trust people, but because the more users that have these rights, the higher a risk of hacking.

The russian mission is HARD. No need to be ashamed.

Lurker, the reticulans are still there, we ADDED enemies only, not one was replaced. And the "invisible-stunned-enemy" is NOT a bug, but a feature, otherwise the units would empty their whole magazine of the stunweapons on them. But as they loose sight, they stop shooting. (Clever from ALTAR).

And yes, no other reported crahes yet, Lurker, tell your PC to behave :(

Slaughter, it's perfectly alright with me that i'm no Admin, i never wanted to have that status anyway. It's much more comfortable that way. :(

And i even noticed a decrease of the attempts to send me viruses and spam-mail!

BA, the human raiders are from Fulby, not me :( I only added them to the enemies army (Thx to Fulby!). Oh and if you add that faces, remember that there are two different raiders.

Lurker, the Ethereals sometimes carry other weapons, too. Even VERY big ones... But mostly they'll use PSI-weapons.

And the flare has more range than the grenades, almost the double stats iirc.

Yes, 20 meters on the flare as opposed to 11 on grenade. The grenade weighs .7 while the flare weighs .3.

I can't figure out why I can't seem to throw the flare any farther away than the grenade. Something else is factoring into it. Maybe it's just the fact that the SpecOps guys are running when you first see them and by the time that you first see them, and by the time you have time to toss something, it's time to be tossing grenades if you want to live? There's something there to it. Maybe it's the fact that none of my soldiers are any good at throwing during the first couple of missions.

If you get a chance, try the flare at 25 meters, 30 meters, and 35 meters, or try a flare at .1 weight and see if there is a noticeably different feel to the flare during the first two or three missions of a new game.

And, then stick with the feel that you like best.

--

And yes I try to stay quiet as much as possible. But . . . Aftermath is the only game I have ever played that just consistently demands that it must crash every chance it gets. Every three months or so, I have to really complain and let it out. I have never seen a game like it, when it comes to crashes. I don't know whether it is a good thing or a bad thing, but on this Windows XP machine, the Aftermath game seems to crash differently each time it crashes. But, the game never crashed on this machine when I was playing it without the mods.

Of course, I have since come to believe that Aftermath is incompatible with Zone Alarm 5.X. I have gotten rid of Zone Alarm completely, and I am now running with the firewall in Windows XP Service Pack 2.

So far, the stalkwalk 6 thing only happens at the beginning of every new ComboMod game when I'm flying to my first mission and the game offers me three or four new missions while my chopper is in flight. I haven't had any problems since then.

On the Altar Forum, they say that the Stalkwalk errors are due to driver conflicts. I think that my problem is that I updated to the latest drivers. Aftermath was designed around only one set of drivers, the 4323 Nvidia drivers, and that's the only set of drivers that it worked flawlessly with. There might be newer drivers out there that will make Dawn of War play better, but I'm afraid to install them for fear that I will get more crashing of Aftermath than just the single Stalkwalk 6 at the start of a new ComboMod game. :(

Sometimes, though, I think that the reason that I get so many crashes with Aftermath is because I play the game so much.

Also, I have never played around with the Shadows and Compatibility of TA thingies in the Aftermath launcher, which are supposed to be able to make people who can't play the game suddenly be able to play the game according to the Altar forum. Anyway, I just go with the defaults, and I guess if I only get one crash per game, that's acceptable. But, in the past, when I got around 30 to 40 bases, the thing would start crashing regularly and randomly, RB6.7 iirc, and of course you knew that I had problems with the Colt M4 crashing RB 6.8 to desktop in a regular fashion, whenever it was used with another explosive weapon.

On this machine, C&C Generals or Dawn of War have never crashed, ever. Neither have Warcraft III or Shogun Total War or the Homeworld Games or Unreal Tournament or Mechwarrior 4 or Red Alert 2 or anything. Nothing crashes like Aftermath.

Okay, I've had my rant, and now I guess I'm supposed to be good for another three months, at least until BlackAlmaz comes back and provides us with something new to see and test. :(

Lurker, updating drivers helps. A LOT! :(

Btw, did you consider using the "Tough-Alien-Mod" yet? It forces you to use sneaky and cowardly tactics, you really should try it.

BA, i meant simply that there are two types of human raiders, don't forget to give BOTH a face :( I know, sometimes i type so fast that my brain can't follow and i produce strange sentences....

Remember the Bikini-Muton ? Same problem there.... :(

Updating drivers is what seems to mess up Aftermath for me, but it helps with everything else. :(

I haven't used any other mods besides the ComboMod3. I play it alone, so that when I get a crash, I have something more precise to point to.

I did try the Tough Alien Mod with RB6.8, and a single tactical mission would go on for hours and hours, with lots of saving and reloading. I guess that I refuse to use Abort and whatever other 'cowardly tactics' that you suggest. Of course, if it's a Wilderness mission with no fences to hide behind, I tended to get overrun and then the missions were rather short. But, a city mission seemed to go on for hours with TA Mod, and I just didn't have the hours that the Tough Alien mod demanded.

The ComboMod3 alone at the Hard setting has some moderately long missions, but they don't seem to go on for hours and the SpecOps rush does eventually come to an end.

I just want you to play around with the Flare for me a bit and see if you can give it more range for new Level 1 soldiers. I think what is happening is that both the grenade and the flare are being limited to the sighting range or the throwing range of the new Level 1 soldiers, so it makes it appear that the grenade and the flare have the exact same range. And, if they do indeed have the same effective range during the first three or four missions where you really want to be using the flares, I end up using the grenades instead, because those SpecOps dudes are really close and moving fast by the time they are in range to lob something at them.

At least in ComboMod3, a couple of well placed grenades will kill the SpecOps. That's better than the indestructible SpecOps of the previous ComboMod.

The other 'solution' to the flare is to make it stun a bit longer so that you have time to switch to a grenade and throw that grenade before the SpecOps become unstunned and start running again.

Anyway, as I see it, the flare thing is a first five mission tactic that you use when you only have Uzi's and shotguns that are worthless. When you have no guns or no range, and flares and grenades are all you have to fight with in the first five missions, it would be nice to have the flare more usable for the stun tactic that you suggest.

After the first five missions, hopefully, you have captured a couple of sniper rifles, and that keeps them from rushing you ten all at once, or seems to enhance your sighting range. Of course, by then, if you are lucky or have been limiting yourself to city missions, then you have a couple of level 2 soldiers who can throw farther, but then you are more tempted to throw 40meter SuperStriker rather than 20meter flares after you have done five or ten missions.

I wanted to know what weapons use the full auto mode.

This time around, I didn't run the ComboMod3 through the allitems cheat. I'm fighting and earning the weapons the old fashioned way, so I don't have many of the weapons yet.

The Barrett sniper rifle and model, that I am in worship of this time around, doesn't seem to be full auto, and neither is the SuperStriker. :(

But, I must say that a burst from the HK G11K5 sounds a lot like the burst from the M16 that our Rifle Range Instructor was firing at the rifle range when I was a Scout at scout camp. I always liked that sound, especially when you have the woods or forests and hills for it to echo through. The HKG11K5 in burst mode was really effective for cutting down incoming chompers and poppers, and I was impressed with it.

I have got to play some more missions. My first three missions or so were against the SpecOps, but now I've done five more or so missions against transgenants. The SpecOps dudes were the ones who gifted me with all those nice weapons. But, you don't get much off of trangenants.

I tell you, the first ten missions or so, what you scavenge off the enemies makes all the difference. It has also been kind of different not to see a LurkerGun or a BFG in the first ten missions. It has been awhile since that has happened. Not saying that it is good or bad, it's just different for a change.

Anyway, I do like the ComboMod3. That much I can say for sure.

Try PSI helmets, to wear for your squaddies.

There is certain research that helps more than other ways in the game.

To me, use human built armor, and human built weapons.

Some areas of Research can be skipped or completed later, as certain research makes the game go better for your squaddies.

Well, guess I will download the ComboMod 3 if it is completely ready ??

Add it to the Tough Alien Mod, after I get done with Aftermath the regular way.

Or not!

:(

Great work guys.

Have to admit Combo Mod v2.0 scared the hell outta me when i met those spec ops guys mission 1 and got summarily whooped (doesn't help being outta practice either). Op Impending Doom 2 never got off the ground :(

But now with v3 and a few alterations to strategy I'm having real fun with this, although an 1800 power rifle in spec ops hands wasn't what I wanted to see....GRENADES AHOY!! :(

Fantastic work guys, you only get better and better as time goes by.

Laters

Hope you add the https://www.ufoaftermath.co.uk/Mods/Other/Voice.ZIP mod cause i have no idea where to place the files.

Im' a n00b and Just reached the Russian Dream Land Files with the Sky Armor.

3 of them carring the Incedinary Launchers WOW! My Running Technique Have Very Little Effect cause the Blasts Always gets us. Problem is, I only have the (2) L115 and (1) M54 the rest are carrying Plasma Rifles. I think one of my men is going to die!

Good thing I Now Started Packing my Troops with Med kits to the MAX.

I learned the Reload-Clip Trick the hard way I think it's ALTARS way of rewarding thouse who keep track of their AMMO.

You should make Smoke Grenade Shorter Priming Time so it can be used for cover and Non-Lethals have a Higher Initiative & LONGER Distance.

Like Lurker Said Lighter Flaires Should be farther; and make it have a Larger Radius of Illumination and make it slowly Shrink till it just be comes a LightStick.

I just installed the Camera Hack Mod, First Person Camera v2! and "Laser sounds" mod MOD. and I'm Loving it! :(

Can wait to Finnish this so i can start the Training Requirements mod and Stargate SG-1 Mod I'm guessing it's a NEW Settings and Story.

https://www.ufoaftermath.co.uk/stargate/

Also when the Mutant Transgenant Uses their Weapons the Clip is lost so you can Empty it. making you Drop your weapon and use the enemy's to save ammo.

Research & Development, Healing and training Stops @ 0:30 before the >1x Time Speed.

I was Able to recruit a Downed Pilot and now is in my Roster hihihihih :( NO Cheat!

Just a bug it crashes when i try to put or remove the Armor. and Dissappears after one mission. :(

I'll try Grenade Mod and Power Armor mod when i reach the next Reasearch Development. :(

hey redthe stargate mod was abendaned...it was imposible to do what the wanted to

so it stped very early..a few guns made but there al in the RB mod

that mod has evrything in it...and alows you to play..well forces you to use newr tectics.....and if you can defeat the spec ops that i putin..than you get the weapons they carry..its acool gift at the start of the game

oh and a voice pack might just be to big to make

He means that you should add the small voice-pack-example from the download section to the game :(

And red, nice to see you play that game with the same mods that i use :( UFOAM is reborn that way.

I played the Area51 mission yesterday and a base defence mission with all above mods and the Tough-Alien-Mod, whew, very intense!

I lost no person in the Area51 mission, and i could sneak/run unharmed throught the lower base!!!

The base mission did cost me an unit, because an Disco-reticulan attacked me, eek!, but i could hold the base :(

If you want a challenge, you should you use the Tough-Alien-Mod, as you will always get "newbie" troops with very bad skills then. In the regular game your new units will get better stats at the start of their career along with the "level" of the game, with the mod they will always be lousy at the start.

And yes, look for the Training requirements Mod, i think it's exactly what you want.

I guess wasn't Clear; When I started Playing UFO:AM I started with DEX that are @ AWFULL and there was NO MOD change or Cheat done. (I 'like to share MY saved Game for the Beginners who doesn't want to use Cheat, and likes the set up or want a Good Start up Troop of the original two - like the game was meant to be played).

Spawned Perfectly as to make the Stat Points distribute to other usefull Stats.

What i meant was...

a Trained Soldier is a Soldier that his stats are distributed to get the Skills in training

while a Speciallized Soldier is a Soldier that is more on the Stats rather than Training.

and I'm checking which path is the best.

And where the initiative lies in the AGI Stat or Weapon Skill?