#41 Lurker

Lurker

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 12:45 AM

FIFTH TEST:

This one was really quick.  I let UFO:AM combined with RB6.7 create a new game profile on my WinXP machine.  I then saved two Geoscape games after getting the New Recruit.

One of the saves was named Upload.  Quit Game.

I replaced my new Upload save with Aralez's 6.7 Upload (the one with the new Cudgel crew member) that I downloaded from here.

So now I have Aralez's save on my machine and I load that when I run UFO:AM again.  I then tweaked a few things, changed bases, weapons, etc.  I then went to the mission that's available.  When I get there, there's Visible Frozen Aliens waiting for me.  That's it.  Game Ended.  I continued and watched the Cudgel Crew member walk around for a bit.  Then quit without saving.

--

Time to go back to 6.61 on my WinXP machine and see if anything has changed for the worse.  So far, 6.61 and 115.zip saved game seem to be a working combination for me, need to make sure that it is still so here on WinXP machine as well.

--

Then probably time to uninstall and reinstall UFO:AM.

Actually, I wish I could find a good price on a used UFO:AM CD and see if the gamedata.vfs produced by that is different than the one my current CD produces.

--

I'm thinking of all the other tests that I haven't gotten to yet, and I have to go to work, money-making work now.  So . . .

#42 Fulby

Fulby

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 07:58 AM

Lurker, on Apr 10 2004, 09:03 PM, said:

There is a rumor going around that if the Effective Range is the same as the Aimed Range, then you could be looking at problems or bugs. Both ranges are 1 meter for the TNT. I could never figure out how to use the ALPine TNT without blowing myself up. While running towards the enemy in order to throw it or launch it, my person gets all shot up. And, if I do get it primed and tossed, my soldier is usually in the red and on the ground, and then then only one who dies from the TNT is the soldier carrying it. It had no range, so I could never figure out how to use it. And, I could never time it so that any enemy stepped on it.
The TNT is a delayed explosive, you have a soldier set it in place (attack the ground where you want it placed) then run out of the blast range before is goes off (5-7 second timer IIRC).  From the plugin text:

Readme said:

Your soldiers can now place TNT charges, just get out of the blast radius before it explodes.

Glossary Text: said:

A powerful explosive package and detonator.  The TNT has a fixed timer so soldiers must evacuate the blast area with haste.

The detonator flashes red when active.
I don't know why you tried to use it like a grenade, it's not meant for that.

The explosion is powerful but you have to plan your attack well to make it effective against enemies.  Place it at a corner just before an enemy walks round it, or take down a wall to reveal your troops and give them line of fire.  It's also good at clearing structures since they stay in one place :(.

Lurker, on Apr 10 2004, 11:44 PM, said:

Speaking of unique:

I thought that UFO:AM weapons were limited to less than 10,000 damage.  And, I have never seen a weapon before with more than 90 meter range.  I thought that maybe there was a 100 meter limit to range.

The WTD is unique.  If the original UFO:AM was never tested or designed to handle extreme damage or extreme range, who knows what subtle glitches might appear.

The TNT and WTD were both unique in statistics.  If those statistics are incompatible with the programmer's original intentions or untested by the original programmers, who knows what's possible.
If that were the case then many more people than just yourself would be having problems.  The WTD and TNT plugins have both been out for several months now and the plugins include more changes than the WTD and TNT in Aralez' RB Mod.

Lurker, on Apr 10 2004, 12:45 AM, said:

Actually, I wish I could find a good price on a used UFO:AM CD and see if the gamedata.vfs produced by that is different than the one my current CD produces.
You don't have to uninstall and reinstall UFO: AM to check that the gamedata.vfs is in its original state.  Use sigget's vfstool in the main UFO directory with the command:

vfstool.exe md5 gamedata.vfs
This will calculate then print out the MD5-sum for the VFS archive.  If you and a few other people all get the same result then your gamedata.vfs is the same as theirs.  You can probably use the same command to check if your copy of the Rebalance VFS is corrupt or not.

Fulby

#43 UfoMan

UfoMan

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 09:30 AM

I know that Slaughter doesn't want me around, and the UfoMan has laid low regarding Aftermath bugs for a month or more now - just suffering in silence whenever Aftermath crashes or yucks up.  But I have specific input to offer regarding this thread and the 6.7 Rebalance, so here goes.

I know some people don't like to hear it, but the truth is that Aftermath has the most variable performance of any game that I have ever played.  With other game titles, you get rather consistent game performance from one motherboard chipset to the next, but Aftermath performs very differently from one machine to the next.  That's been my real world experience.

A Aftermath bug that will show up on one machine, will be completely absent on the next machine, will be majorly annoying on another machine, and will be there but inconsequential on another machine.  You can also experience competely different bugs and crashes from one machine to the next.  It's the same CD and the same installation, but completely unpredictable performance from one machine to the next.

I started a new Profile with Rebalance 6.7 on my ABIT KT7A-RAID motherboard, and then I transferred the Upload.zip contents into the new Saves in the new Profile.  I played three games and didn't get frozen aliens and the spit didn't transfer back to base into inventory that I could see even though spit was in the capture list.  Three missions is hardly conclusive, and the ABIT KT7A is a slow and painful 1200 Duron machine which makes playing Aftermath tedious.  But Rebalance 6.7 works just fine so far on that machine.

Using English version CD.  I usually only play one Aftermath game per day if work allows, so I don't make fast progress, and can't be counted on to provide timely conclusive results.  But, three missions completed successfully with Rebalance 6.7 sounds like more than Lurker got.

I have a new ABIT NF7-S v2 motherboard with 2800 Barton, and I created a new Game Profile with Rebalance 6.7 and put the same Upload.Zip in there and went to a mission.  I immediately ran into frozen aliens with Aralez's save.  I then tried playing Rebalance 6.7 from the start, eventually got spit and empty icons in the inventory, and eventually got frozen aliens in subsequent missions.  I did a lot of Aftermath playing.  Not good results with the new machine and Rebalance 6.7.

My conclusion is that the Rebalance 6.7 works fine on my VIA chipset, and it seems to result in frozen aliens on my nForce chipset.  Extrapolating, I would conclude that each person who plays the Rebalance 6.7 on a different machine will end up experiencing different results.

My other conclusion is that since I haven't had any noticeable problems with the Rebalance mods on my nForce machine until Rebalance 6.7, I would guess that the new Rebalance 6.7 has introduced some kind of incompatibility with the nForce chipset that wasn't there before.  Again, just a guess, and not enough of a sampling in my humble opinion to be conclusive.

I probably won't report back in here again, because Slaughter doesn't want me to report crashes or bugs when I experience them.  He is the moderator, and I broke his rule just now.  But let me end by saying, that I'm tempted to uninstall and reinstall Aftermath on my fast new nForce machine and see if Rebalance 6.7 will then run right.  Other than that, I don't know what more I can do.

And in summary, it looks to me that if you get spit or invisible icons in your inventory, then you are going to be experiencing problems soon with the Rebalances.  From what I have seen in the past, the same Aftermath mod (whether ALPine or Rebalance) can and does peform differently on different machines.  Lurker gets frozen aliens, Kret gets crashes from Rebalance 6.7, and my ancient Duron machine runs Rebalance 6.7 as it was meant to run.

Hope that helps and is topical enough to get past Slaughter.

UfoMan

#44 Lurker

Lurker

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 10:30 AM

I have a rule against discussing the specific details of my machines online.

But, I will say that my machine and my Children's machine are both nForce chipset type machines and both produce Visible Frozen Aliens with Rebalance 6.7.

Still, it looks like it's time to try some uninstalling and reinstalling of UFO:AM.  Maybe tomorrow.

--

EDIT:  Hmm.  Someone put in some advertising for us.  :(
http://www.chatbear.com/?P639719

#45 Aralez

Aralez

Forum Grandpa'

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 11:07 AM

Ufoman, many thx for your feedback! I don't know what problems Slaughter and you seem to have, but i can't comply about you. You delivered excellent information and reported them in a mannerful way. And you had some good ideas for the RBMOD as well. Please stay here with us, will you ?  :(

Here's a small announcement: I uploaded a test-version of 6.7 without the WTD and the TNT (as they are the only NEW things i have added). Lurker, Kret, Ufoman and anyone else could you test that version and report back? It is really important.

The new savegames are taken offline for the moment as well.

Here the downloadlink: Testversion

Personally, i don't think the new weapons cause the problems, i suspect the new savegames or maybe the EXE itself causing troubles, as i could see from the posts some guys use the NOCD-exe and some don't. But as i could be wrong:

Please test the new download and report here ASAP, please, please !  :(

#46 Aralez

Aralez

Forum Grandpa'

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 05:29 PM

Damnit, as i got ZERO feedback i tested several things on my own.

I de- and reinstalled UFOAM,
patched it to 1.3,
applied the 6.7 mod , worked, no problems.
Tried the new savegames, no problems,
tried a no-cd exe, no problems,
Tried every cheat i know of, no problems,
tried old savegames, no problems,
Tried the redux-mod-version, no problems.
Tried a different VFS-tool to pack the mod, no problems.
I even installed an english localizatinpack.vfs: NO PROBLEMS !!!

That's  it, i quit. I can't find ANYTHING buggy in the RBMOD, i'm sorry to say so but the problem seem to b e caused by either

a. Using the wrong patch version
b. Using old buggy savegames
c. Using a buggy exe
d. Unspecified computer problems
e. incompatibilty of my uploaded savegames with other PC's (but that wouldn't explain the problems people have when starting a new game)

None of this problems can't be corrected by me except the last one, which isn't crucial.

Btw, Kret i re-read your post, what do you mean you EVENTUALLY got problems? Did you have them or not ?  :(

Alas, i'm drifting off. I deleted the savegames and will keep the RBMOD available.
But I will quit modding UFOAM. The lack of feedback from ALTAR, and the apparent lack of interest in UFOAM generally brings me to this decission.

I mean, look at this thread, three people made 99% of it's entries, and one of them was me.

I will still be around in the forum, though, i just wanted to inform you about the end of the RBMOD.

#47 Kret

Kret

Lieutenant

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 05:38 PM

You got me confused there Aralez, the only time I've posted something with the word "eventually" was in the Future Projects thread. Are you talking about that?

BTW. About to test the new mod. Let's see the results.

EDIT:

Ok, quick rundown: NO BUGS.

I have played about 5~6 missions, including spitters and poppers in them. No crashes, no %d items.

Before placing the new vfs mod I removed all the other mods, a total of 3 different files were taken out:

- The 1st person view mod
- A partial R&D sort mod (started working on this long ago, but left it unfinished)
- Personalized rebalance (obviously this would of been incompatible)

I would like to make a note that last time I did NOT remove the FPV mod, so there's a chance that under certain conditions the game doesn't properly load multiple mod files, but doesn't happen always. I'm gonna try the 6.7 again on it's own and see what happens.
There's always some dirt to dig out

#48 Aralez

Aralez

Forum Grandpa'

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 07:49 PM

:( Yes, i got that confused   :(

Actually it was Ufoman getting those "eventual" bugs  :(

Sorry about that  :angel:

Now i need ONE more special user to check out this mod: Lurker ?!

Please tell me: Does it work ?

Btw Kret: I use the FPV mod, too. It hasn't delivered any problems yet....

And please tell me about your tests with the original 6.7, so i can finally sleep again  :(

#49 Kret

Kret

Lieutenant

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 08:12 PM

OK, so far all tests have resulted in NO BUGS, *** BUT *** I haven't gotten a single mission with poppers (nor chompers as a matter of fact), so the tests are not really complete. At least the spitters work.

#50 Lurker

Lurker

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 09:40 PM

You don't have to uninstall and reinstall UFO: AM to check that the gamedata.vfs is in its original state. Use sigget's vfstool in the main UFO directory with the command:

CODE 
vfstool.exe md5 gamedata.vfs

This will calculate then print out the MD5-sum for the VFS archive. If you and a few other people all get the same result then your gamedata.vfs is the same as theirs. You can probably use the same command to check if your copy of the Rebalance VFS is corrupt or not.

--

Actually, this information from Fulby got me really excited.  I need to find the link to that tool!

I missed Fulby's message the first time through, last night.  Just scanned and went to bed.  A checksum would give me and the rest of you a way to see if our gamedata.vfs or 67_mod.vfs are changing.

I also thought Fulbly's test would be interesting to try with the Upload.zip files.  Load the Upload.zip into the game, and then immediately save the load back to disk under a different name, checksum the new save, and thus see if different motherboard chipset writers are writing the same vfs file back to the disk differently than other chipsets do.

This Upload 'load' and 'save' and 'checksum' would be a particularly good test for the UfoMan to try.  UfoMan, try it on nForce machine and then on the VIA machine, and see if they are saving the same file differently.

Aralez, if you make another Test RB, between now and then, make it with the WTD and the TNT and without the SPIT and BOOM, without Spitters and Poppers.  I too was wondering if the SPIT building up in inventory is causing my saves to go bad or causing interferrence with the new goodies.  Personally, I would much rather have WTD and TNT in my Rebalance than SPIT and BOOM, if one or the other has to go in order to make it run right.  I know that removing the Poppers and Spitters would make some of my past games incompatible, but who cares at this point.  Those few of us who are having problems will be starting new games and needing new working saved games from you anyway.

Don't give up Aralez, just realize that it will take some time for us to download and try the stuff.  And unfortunatly, I won't be able to download the new test until Easter and relatives are gone.  It is kind of sad that our small little group is getting smaller as people find other interests and move on, but it happens everywhere.  Nevertheless, we could indeed use a bigger sampling and more reports from more people.

Just know that I really appreciate your efforts, and as time allows, I'll continue to trudge along seeing what is what.  So, meanwhile, I continue to do what I can as I can.

I need re-read this thread and start making a written list of things to do and things to see.

Meanwhile everybody, if you could, please post here the checksums of your gamedata.vfs, your 67_mod.vfs, and the new testmod.vfs.  And, when relatives are gone, I'll queue up the NewTest Mod and the vfstool for downloading.  And, then tomorrow.

I have yet to uninstall and reinstall UFO:AM.  Here come the relatives.  Gotta go!

#51 Kret

Kret

Lieutenant

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 09:47 PM

I think i would rather use the official vfs utility if I just want to calculate the MD5 WITHOUT replacing the other one, sigget's tool will replace even if you just want to know the md5 that should result from it. I don't mind doing it with the modded files or saves, but defenetly NOT with the gamedata.vfs file, or at least not without making a copy 1st.

Anyhow, continuing with the tests, I re-added the FPC mod along with RB67, got a mission with poppers and spitters and everything is working fine. So, now that I can't seem to replicate the crash, I can't help anymore. But it really bugs me when I know SOMETHING went wrong and now it decided to hide itself...

EDIT:

Sigget's vfstool md5 result for RB 6.7

7587A36629F73C1E8FD21CA924A057B8

#52 Aralez

Aralez

Forum Grandpa'

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 12:01 AM

Kret, on Apr 11 2004, 09:47 PM, said:

But it really bugs me when I know SOMETHING went wrong and now it decided to hide itself...
i know EXACTLY how that feels. Because i felt like this for the last days  :( And best of all: I have a cold, too. Sneezing, coughing, fever, can't sleep... I hate it  :(

#53 Lurker

Lurker

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 05:06 AM

Well, then you can all imagine how I might feel 'crying wolf' concerning something that apparently only happens on a few machines.  It's very frustrating to be the wet blanket at what should be a celebration.

I did run my virus checker on my main XP machine last night, just in case. A sixth test, you might say.  No viruses found.  Wanted to make sure.

Now, going to download TestVersion and try to find the link to the vfs tools.

Okay Kret, so which tool doesn't copy the gamedata.vfs and other vfs files when it checksums files?  I need links to the right tools, then I need to figure them out how to use then, and then I need to do the work.

I'll postpone uninstalling and reinstalling UFO:AM until I have tried the TestVersion and run the checksums.

I too was hoping that others would have joined us.  It would help to have more machines to work with.

After re-reading of some of this, I have two questions.

Is BlackAlmaz using RB6.7 or some previous version right now?

Kret, you report that there are no problems now.  Is that no problems with RB6.7 or no problems with the TestVersion?  Not clear to me what's no longer giving problems, and I am obviously curious.  (EDIT:  Ah, it looks like FPC and 6.7 no longer having problems.  I'm clearly not that bright, or I need to slowly re-read everything.)

I need to re-read more of this thread, but Aralez's requests are priority.  Catch you on the flip side.

#54 UfoMan

UfoMan

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 06:10 AM

I put in a plug on the ALTAR site hoping to get more people with more machines over here.  I linked to this RBMOD 6.7 Release thread and to the SavedGames thread.  It looks like the saved games are now gone.  I found saved games to be both helpful and enjoyable.

But, I guess I can see how saved games might add an extra element of peril or give something more to go wrong.  However, someone needs to update my thread for me over there at ALTAR, and it's now dead-link to saved games.  <grin>

The Upload.zip saved game with the Cudgel was fun to watch and use on my working 6.7RBMod Duron Machine.  But, I ran into some glitches with the Cudgel.  He didn't have a body on the inventory screen when you took off his armor.  And, I loaded up the Cudgel with the AutoCannon in addition to what you (Aralez) had given him, and when I got inside a mission, I couldn't get the Cudgel to put his GattlingLaser on the ground when it was empty.  And though I could put the AutoCannon on the ground, the Cudgel couldn't put the GattlingLaser in the backpack.  Finally got him to throw the empty LaserGattling, and then I was able to put the AutoCannon in his arms in its place.

The Upload.zip saved game worked right on my Duron machine, as you can tell!

With my Athlon XP machine, I don't know whether to uninstall and reinstall, try the TestVersion, or do the checksum on my XP machine that does frozen aliens.  Unfortunately, it is my busy season at work, and there are deadlines and stuff, so I will be slow to help, whatever I do.

Hopefully each person will give what they can a try, when they can, and maybe over time a true picture will evolve.  I wouldn't stress over it, though, Aralez.  It will take time, and I would hate to see you give up too soon.

I do see the sense of keeping a version 6.61 of the Rebalance on the boards for awhile, though, if you don't mind my saying so, just in case.

I also came away from this thread with a disctinct feeling that it would be nice to have a Warp Targeting Device version of the Rebalance that does not have Spit and Boom.  If there are no poppers or spitters in a modern version of the rebalance, then there will be none of their stuff to build up in inventory, as it's apparently doing on some machines.  If there's no possibility for Spit and Boom to go into inventory, then there's no possibility for it to be corrupting saves.  And, honestly, the Warp Targeting Device was a much greater selling point for me than Spit and Boom.  I definitely want the final Rebalance to have a WTD, unless I can't get it to work right on all my machines.

Anyway, you might considering having a 6.7a, the original, a 6.7b the TestVersion, and a 6.7c Non-Spit and Non-Boom on the boards for awhile.  If people can see the three versions along with a version 6.61 on the boards, along with some sort of explanation as to what each contains, then they can pick and choose silently in the background, testing as they have time.  If they are the shy type, they won't even have to post.  They can just PM you with their results or with their complaints, as time goes by.  An elusive or etherial bug will by its nature take a bit of time to isolate or nail down, especially since it appears only on a minor fraction of machines.

There used to be a 4.1 and a 4.1b of the Rebalance for a good reason.  Tracking down an elusive bug would be just as good a reason for a 6.61, 6.7a, 6.7b, and 6.7c to be on the board, in my humble opinion.  Plus, last I saw, Slaughter liked having multiple Rebalances on the board in case someone couldn't get an older one or a newer one to work right.

Sorry that I can't be of more use right now, but over time, we'll see.

UfoMan

P.S.  What does iirc stand for?  I never figured that one out.

#55 Fulby

Fulby

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 07:02 AM

Kret, on Apr 11 2004, 09:47 PM, said:

I think i would rather use the official vfs utility if I just want to calculate the MD5 WITHOUT replacing the other one, sigget's tool will replace even if you just want to know the md5 that should result from it. I don't mind doing it with the modded files or saves, but defenetly NOT with the gamedata.vfs file, or at least not without making a copy 1st.
Sigget's vfstool can return the stored checksum as well, using the line:
vfstool.exe i gamedata.vfs
I suggested the "md5" option because that will calculate the current (real) checksum instead of the stored one which may not be correct.

IIRC the game needs the MD5 on the LocalizationPack.vfs to be correct but doesn't check the MD5 on gamedata.vfs.  I could be wrong on that though.

Fulby

#56 UfoMan

UfoMan

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 07:18 AM

I decided to try another game with the RB6.7 and my Duron machine that runs it right.  Figured it would be funner not to get frozen aliens tonight for Easter.  <grin>

I went to a downed UFO.  No frozen aliens, as expected, but it takes that Duron machine about two minutes to create a mission.

The ABIT KT7A-RAID Duron machine always had problems with freezing if it gets overloaded, what I call interrupt overload.  It's the thing you get when you try to run C&C Generals on a non-Athlon machine.

Anyway, while scrolling and pressing a key, the game froze and the keyboard became unresponsive.  Had to hard reboot.  That computer just can't keep up.  It has nothing to do with Aftermath or the Rebalances, that computer hangs during the starting musical flourish of Encarta, and will hang with other modern programs if they are processor intensive.  And when I put a Thunderbird Athlon in there, the mobo overheated and hung randomly as well.  So, I usually only use that machine for a Word Processing project that I'm doing for work.

1200 Mhz Duron machine is not up to Aftermath and such.  I went back hoping that I could treat it more carefully and not get the freeze.  The Duron machine will usually run Aftermath just fine.  But, it was a mission with mountains and a million of those twisted dead trees, and apparently the Rebalance late game puts a bigger strain on the system than Aftermath by itself does.  It hung on me again when two BFG9000 fired at the same time.

Anyway, no frozen aliens on the Duron machine for a fourth and fifth load.  But, that's it for tonight, all the time I have for game playing and testing.  I'll try something different tomorrow if my schedule allows.  Let me know what is priority.

#57 Kret

Kret

Lieutenant

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 07:37 AM

Lurker, sigget's tool is good for calculating the md5 of a vfs file, but make a backup copy just in case the game rejects the modified gamedata.vfs file (even tho I do believe Fulby is right and that for this file md5 is ignored by the game)

Note: This is something I noticed while developing the pilotfix tool and implementing the md5 algorithm into it. Looks like sigget reverses the even and odd characters of the resulting md5 string, so if you use a different tool, you should take this into consideration.

Yes, currently I have RB6.7 and FPC mods together and no problems whatsoever, so currently at a dead end in trying to figure out what went wrong.

#58 Lurker

Lurker

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 10:14 AM

For some reason, the repeated advice to uninstall and reinstall UFO:AM made sense to me.  Over the past decade, I have come to believe that uninstalling and reinstalling occasionally gets rid of flaws and serves to force games and other programs to adjust to updated drivers.

I realized that I could uninstall UFO:AM from my children's machine, and they wouldn't know the difference.  I also realized that I have installed new programs, new drivers, and even new hardware since the last time that UFO:AM has been installed.  So, I decided to make uninstalling UFO:AM my next experiment.

True, 6.61 didn't seem to have any problems adjusting to the changes, but that doesn't necessarily mean that 6.7 has no such problems.

Anyway, uninstalled UFO:AM from my children's WinME machine.  Then I deleted the CENEGA subdirectory and all the saved games, and then rebooted.

I installed the game.  Ran it to create default profiles.  I then updated to 1.3, and I then put 67_mod.vfs into the subdirectory and ran it.  Created a new game profile, and started playing.

Surrounded by Chompers and Poppers the first two missions in open fields and lost all my soldiers.  Got two new soldiers for third mission, a city mission.  I was able to set up an ambush on a bridge and take the Poppers and Chompers down one at a time with UZI's.  I about lost both soldiers to a Spitter.  Way too far out of range.  But, I used cover and he eventually ran out of spit.  Then I went hunting for stragglers.

There's a reason for mentioning all this.  When I won the mission there was Spit and Spit Clips in my capture list along with 4 BOOM.  But, when I got back to base, none of them ended up in inventory.  I have come to believe the last couple of days that it is very important that BOOM and SPIT do not end up in inventory.

Then I saved, quit, and rebooted.  I then loaded up the third soldier and went to my Fourth Mission.  And guess what, no frozen aliens!!!

I know, it's probably too soon to celebrate, but that's four missions in a row without frozen aliens with RB6.7.  That's a record for my machines.  And, there's no SPIT or BOOM in the inventory either.  Good deal.

Okay, I haven't tried ALLITEM's on the children's machine, and I haven't tried the Upload.zip files either, so I'm still hesitant to claim victory.  I also want to finish a few more missions without any Aralez Saved games and without ALLITEM's just to see if the no frozen alien trend continues.  Aralez removed the saved games for a reason.

BlackAlmaz was complaining that the beginning missions against the Poppers and Spitters is too hard.  He's right, unless you get a city mission.  There is a solution to BlackAlmaz's complaint that will also work for debugging purposes as well -- create a separate Rebalance 6.7 with everything in it except the Poppers and the Spitters.  If there is no SPIT or BOOM to go up against in early missions, then BlackAlmaz and I won't have to lose half our missions to the hoard early on, and there will be no SPIT or BOOM in the capture lists to accidentally find their way back to base.

Anyway, I second BlackAlmaz's and UfoMan's request for a version of the 6.7 Rebalance that's only lacking the SPIT and the BOOM.  Please remove the Spitters and the Poppers from a 'B' version of the 6.7 Rebalance, then see if BlackAlmaz is happier and see if any of the potential glitches disappear from the Rebalance.

Too early for me to declare that I have conquered the Children's machine and UFO:AM, but it looked promising.  So, I can tentatively recommend uninstalling, deleting the subdirectory, and reinstalling to those who don't have saved games that they care to lose.  More testing of the Children's machine tomorrow.

Then, I need to download and try the TestVersion on this WinXP machine and see if Redux TestVersion will pick up on 6.61 saved games and move forward without a glitch or a hitch.  Keep our fingers crossed.

Thank you everyone, for putting up with me.

#59 Aralez

Aralez

Forum Grandpa'

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 10:29 AM

As it seems it was a good idea to remove the savegames. More and more i come to the conclusion that they were the source of the problems. And it's very nice to hear Lurker finally got rid of his computer/UFOAM problems, too.

The "Boom"- and "Spit"-weapons should exactly work as Lurker describes, and it's good to see, they finally do.

#60 Lurker

Lurker

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 11:36 AM

As it seems it was a good idea to remove the savegames. More and more i come to the conclusion that they were the source of the problems.

I can visualize that the saved games might be contributors to the problem, but in my THIRD TEST up above, I let 6.7 create a new Profile and I didn't use any saved games, and I got frozen aliens on my children's machine during the first mission that time around.

During that test, there were no previous Aralez Saved Games in the profile to do anything, so they couldn't have been the source of the problem, unless using the Upload.zip saved game sometime in the 'distant' past is all it takes to permanently corrupt a machine and all future saved games.

The only thing that is different between my THIRD test above and tonight's successful test is the fact the I uninstalled and reinstalled UFO:AM in between the two dates.  Otherwise, they were the exact same test.

Furthermore, UfoMan got the Upload.zip to work right on his one machine, so it kind of gives one the feeling that there might be something else at work besides just the Saved Games.

If I get time, I'm going to have to try the Upload.zip saved game on my children's machine and see if it works now, since I have uninstalled and reinstalled UFO:AM on that machine, unless there is direct knowledge from this community that doing so will corrupt the whole saved game system on that computer, both past and future saved games, what few there now are.

My problem is that I have too many things to try and very little time to do so, comparatively speaking.  :(

--

It was a great novelty and selling point to be able to claim that I ran the Rebalances from 5.6 to 6.61 on this WinXp machine with no serious glitches, from one version of saved game to the next, using saved games from previous versions as the starting points.  So, it's kind of hard to delete those saved games and the whole subdirectory, and then uninstall and reinstall UFO:AM.  But, I kind of have the feeling that I might have to do just that in order to get RB6.7 to function right on this machine as well, especially if Aralez is right and the use of older Saved Games is really the source of the problem.  There is some value and history there in the 5.6 to 6.61 saved games on this machine.  I probably should just uninstall and reinstall UFO:AM first, and then test RB6.7 to see if the previous saved games can then be used without the frozen aliens appearing.

Kind of looks like Aralez is getting tired of all my experiments, and I guess that I am too.  I don't want to become a pain to the whole community.  So maybe I will go straight for the throat of the beast, uninstall and reinstall UFO:AM on this machine, and forget about the other tests that have been suggested here that I should try, assuming that an uninstall and reinstall is all it takes to solve the problem permanently.  Just skip the TestVersion altogether.

Anyway, I have reasons for believing that the Aralez Saved Games were not the real source of the problem.  There was something else producing Spit in my inventory long before Aralez Saved Games and Rebalance 6.7 came along.  I felt that that might be a useful piece of information for some people to have, just in case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users