Weapon and equipment wishes for rb6.0

Aralez

I'm not very fond of adding a lot of new weapons, because the original ones can become obsolete very fast (just look at the array of pistols that nobody uses because you find AK47s in the very first missions). I'd rather prefer having good Glosary entries for all of them (I had to look up in the internet what the Saiga 12 was).

Speaking of pistols, I would love to see some changes in the APs expenditure, although I guess those matters are hard-coded. Dropping something in your hands should be free (0 Aps), drawing something from the belt should be fast (1 AP) but getting something out of the backpack, specially something big like a rocket launcher or a rifle, should be very slow. This way pistols would be very useful as a sidearm, you could drop your sniper rifle and draw them when the chomper gets near instead of getting your 12-gauge shotgun or you SMG. I also prefer SMGs been wielded two-handed for that same reason.

But then, as everyone is wishing for a killer weapon of mass destruction :) I'd go for a special Power Armor that granted invulnerability to fire and some sort of Heavy Flamer with persistant flames. It would be handy inside UFOs, where any other weapon fails to keep your guys alive. You would render everything aflame and then advance and finish those bastards. :power:

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, another little thing. Could the OSAW be carried to the Rifle category ? I'm not sure, but I think that being in the Heavy Weapons section means that you cannot run while carrying it. Come on, it's only 3 Kgs. It would make the weapon more interesting, btw.

During my months of lurking, one of the biggest complaints that I hear about UFO:AM is that there are no good end-game handguns. In fact, the only handgun anyone uses the second half of the game is the Psi Projector, which really isn't a gun. The Warp Pistol is almost good, but it still isn't preferable over the Warp Rifle.

There should be a few new super handguns introduced mid-game, handguns that are really desirable and powerful in the hands of someone Heroic or Super-heroic for handguns. You always have at least one soldier who reaches Heroic for handguns, and he should have the right choice of weapons at the end of the game.

Super Handguns that I would like to see:

I already mentioned the Handgun Version of the Warp Resonator.

There should be a handgun version of the Railgun or Chaingun. This would be a burst only weapon just like its big brother. In the hands of a soldier Heroic for handguns, the handgun version of this weapon would have the same range and effect as the regular Heavy Weapons Railgun. But, the handgun version could be carried on Bio Armor, and its plentiful ammunition would only take up two squares. In fact, I would make the Handgun Railgun gun so that it uses UZI ammunition, maybe goes through it twice as fast but does the same damage as the Railgun in the hands of a Heroic for handguns soldier.

And/or, along the same lines, you could make an advanced UZI for endgame. This thing would have twice the range and twice the damage. In Burst mode up close, it would tear a Reticulan apart in a couple of bursts, and it would also have an aimed mode. In theory, in aimed mode at a distance, an UZI should become an area effect weapon with each person in the room or vicinity catching a slug or two. I don't know if you could give such a weapon as that an area-effect for aimed mode only, but it would be realistic to try it.

I would like to see a DEPLETED URANIUM handgun. This thing in burst mode close quarters would be twice as powerful as a Neostead. In the hands of a Heroic or Super Heroic for handguns soldier, the Depleted Uranium handgun would rip apart, splay, and fillet a Bio Armor suited Reticulan in one burst. It would be good to have one of these in the opening minutes inside a UFO. Plus the Depleted Uranium handgun would also have an aimed mode, thus making it preferable to a Neostead for clearing UFO's. In the aimed mode, the range would double, ammunition would be conserved, and in the hands of the Heroic for handguns, two aimed shots would be enough to bring down a Bio-Suited Reticulan. The Depleted Uranium handgun should do universal damage. I wouldn't give this one to the Reticulans. It should be a humans-only weapon, if you create a truly desirable handgun. This would probably be one of those weapons you find in limited numbers in bases, or a weapon that has a two-day manufacture time.

I also would like to see an Enhanced Plasma Handgun. It would use the same 2000 capacity Power Cells as the regular Enhanced Plasma Rifle, except the handgun version would have a burst mode for close quarters. Once again, in the hands of the Heroic for handguns, the Enhanced Plasma Handgun would double as a close-quarters Neostead bringing down Reticulans in one or two bursts and as a longer range aimed 'Warp Rifle' or Plasma Rifle if the Reticulan is out of burst range. Once again, this thing would be preferable to a Neostead for clearing out UFO's.

You could also make an Enhanced Warp Pistol that has the same power as the Warp Rifle, but works its best in the hands of those soldiers who are Super-Heroic for handguns.

Anyway, there should be a handful of decent mid-game end-game handguns for that soldier or two who becomes Heroic for handguns.

And, since we seem to have more people Heroic for Rifles at the end of a game, I would still like to see the Non-Handgun Advanced Neostead Rifle, which we have been calling an Advanced Neostead, with twice the range and similar damage as the regular Neostead rifle.

Of course, you could always make a handgun version of the Neostead meant specifically for those soldiers who are Heroic for Handguns.

I noticed that we were overlooking the handguns just like Altar did. But in a rebalance, it would be fitting to rectify or fix the complaint that so many people had in the beginning, the complaint that said that there are no useful handguns in UFO:AM. Aralez could give us some useful handguns for the end-game.

I also responded more than my share in the poll that Aralez linked us to. There I said that a weapon I would wish for RB6.0 is a grenade or a pill that unfreezes or unparalyzes your soldiers. This weapon wouldn't have much range, because you don't want to unfreeze the aliens. But, drop it in the middle or next to a couple of frozen soldiers, and they become unfrozen without having to wait half the game to unfreeze on their own.

I would carry one of these on each soldier if this weapon or cure existed. I guess it would classify as an equipment wish. It should be the size of the regular hand grenade, the pill that pulls you out of the rabbit hole.

Woah! Good ideas, everyone! Ok, i could combine most of your ideas into some weapons:

-Advanced Warp-Handgun

-Heavy Flamer weapon with longlasting flames---> Just wait for the Alien2 gun :)

-Osaw in Rifle ? I'll try a different animation and do some test about that

-Power Armour-ok will enhance the advanced heavy one. (btw, i hear that very often lately, isn't the Berzerk armor good enough ? :power:)

-Adv. Plasma Handgun

-Adv. Burst-Handgun ---> This will be the Needlegun

-Anti-freeze weapon. hmmm, does anybody know if you can re-control a mind-controlled human if you shot a psi-controller at it? If yes, i will make an Anti-freeze or Anti-control weapon.

-Teleport weapon. Hm, there was/is a bug in UFOAM, which allowed PSI-weapons to fire through walls, maybe i could reproduce that and use it.

@Kermel, you can start a new game now, i'll release the next mod ~end of next weekend :D Oh, you said HARD, oh well, better hurry :)

I wish I had your talent, cause making all those weapons sounds like a lot of fun.

I really like the thoughts of having a BF-Handgun by the end of the game. It doesn't really matter how it's implemented, and it wouldn't hurt to have a few different types. I suggested deplete uranium bullets or pellets because accelerated uranium is supposed to rip through everything - the last James Bond movie for inspiration.

I would like a double barreled Neostead handgun with the equivalent of depleted uranium buckshot that drops them in one shot up close, but that can in principle also tighten up and/or extend the barrel somehow so that a soldier can get off an aimed shot with the same gun and do some serious damage from a distance as well.

I'm excited to see what you will be able to produce.

>> Teleport weapon. Hm, there was/is a bug in UFOAM, which allowed PSI-weapons to fire through walls, maybe i could reproduce that and use it.

Yes, instead of psi-controling them through the walls, if you could make them burst into flames (or explode) through the walls, then that's the weapon we want. Firestarter or Carrie, if I have my movie titles right. If each one of your soldiers had one of those, then maybe you could give the Aliens tactical nukes. Just don't let the aliens have the telepathic FireStarters, or it's hasta le vista humanity.

If you add a bunch of new weapons, we'll have to play around with it and tweak it for awhile until it achieves the right balance between fun and challenge. But it does sound like a fun challenge.

@Lurker:

-The shotgun/range-combo weapon will be the Alien2 gun ( i have planned a lot with this one :) )

-Telepatic firestarter ->ok, i'll do it if possible

->>>I wish I had your talent, cause making all those weapons sounds like a lot of fun<<< Well, thanks :power: , a lot of this work is/was trial-and-error-stuff , but with the time you'll get better believe me, and in the end if a weapon works, you'll be really proud and satisfied.

Oh, btw, i have completely redone the armor-stats, The berzerk armour is much lighter and you'll get it more often, etc. etc., i think you'll like the changes.

And good to hear you can re-control people, an "anti-freeze"-grenade probably should be possible.

CU! and keep those ideas and tips coming!

@Kermel and Lurker: The original ingame pistols and mp's will be redone in the next mod as you suggested, too (they are actually done and rest on my HD), i posted a preview of the newest readme-design in this thread: https://www.ufoaftermath.co.uk/forums/index...t=15#entry14590

I hope this satisfies some of your wishes? :) If not, complain here and as always : Gimme that tips and ideas :power:

I definitely look forward to seeing more on the specifications of the Alien 2 gun, and of course trying it out.

I do indeed want a doublebarreled upgraded Neostead type of gun that shoots depleted uranium buckshot in a burst with an irising narrowing extending barrel that can shoot the buckshot in a pinpoint at an aimed range.

But if you can get short range punch or burst with a long range slap as well, it doesn't matter how you do it or what you call it. It would be nice in the last missions not to have to carry both a Accuracy International sniper rifle and a Neostead on your soldiers that are Heroic for rifles.

The Enhanced Plasma Rifle turned out nice in version 1.3 for aimed mode, but it doesn't have a close range burst mode to drop them in one shot. And, the Enhanced Plasma Shotgun is worthless because it has no range.

Of course, if you get time, feel free to do both the Alien 2 Gun and a high range Neostead with a close range depleted uranium type damage potential. :power:

Wow, what a mouthful! But, if we had something like that, we could give them Reticulans a belly full.

Ok, I have started playing with 5.2. Knifes rock !!! They do too much damage, of course, but then they would be useless otherwise and this sets the mood for "silent kills". But I killed a Chomper in hand to hand just for fun. :power: Now the challenge, who is going to try killing a Balloon Fish with a knife ? :)

I was enthusiastic about the new ammo types for the Uzi and the shotgun, but then when I analized the Trasgenants' Armor I found out that all of them are more vulnerable to Soft than to Hard (Universal being an average between both) but the Car Crab and the Firetiick, which only appear later in the game. It's just unfair that most aliens have more protection against AP rounds than normal ones.

About Lurker's snipershotgun I just have to say that, if done, it should be well balanced with the other weapons (i.e. it should be far worse than a real sniper rifle or a real shotgun, or else there would be no real choice).

Aralez:

I did the ALLCHEAT thing and looked over the Rebalance 5.2. I hope you don't mind, but I had some comments or ideas and took notes.

I like the stats on the Berzerk Armor, but somehow you need to find the way to classify it as heavy armor so that I can mount a Warp Resonator on the Berzerk Armor. It looks like heavy armor and weighs as much, so it should be classified as such so that it can take the big guns.

We still need some type of Power Armor. This Power Armor would be armor with the same cool stats as the Berzerk Armor, but the effective weight of Power Armor would be 3.0 kg like Bio Armor, yet the Power Armor would be classified as Heavy Armor so that it can carry the Warp Resonator and other big guns. Can that be done, Berzerk Armor stats with 3.0 kg Bio Armor weight and a Heavy Armor classification so that it can take all weapons? Power Armor would be the ultimate armor.

In the game I started up, the female Cyborg was named Brian Rowley.

If I remember right, the Warp Resonator had a 70 meter range in version 1.2. The Warp Resonator isn't as good in version 1.3, only having a 50 meter range. Could you rebalance the Warp Resonator back to 70 meters so that it has the same aimed range as the Gattling Gun? In version 1.2, they seemed to be comparable weapons, but they are no longer that way, and I would like it fixed. I felt the difference while playing 1.3.

I might be wrong on my facts, but I am right when it comes to wanting the Warp Resonator to have an aimed range of 70 meters. :power:

Someday, someone will have to make a reload cartidge for the Warp Resonator, or make an Advanced Warp Resonator with 30 shots in it.

The Nanotech healer unit needs to be the same size as the MedKits, four squares, or at least be only six squares, instead of taking up a whole slot. Need to be able to get a Psi Projector in the same slot with the Nanotech healer.

The BFG9000 only has three shots. If it has only three shots, then it needs to have a range of 70 meters as well as area effect so that you can take advantage of clumps of aliens. I didn't get to test it yet to see if BFG9000 has an area effect, but it needs it with only three shots. Or, you can keep the 24 meter range, but at least give it ten shots like the Warp Detonator. There needs to be some kind of balance or rebalancing there in my humble opinion. I'm afraid that the three shot limitation is gonna make it so that we don't want to carry it.

The SawnOff shotgun looks cool, but give it at least the same basic aimed range as the Neostead, 12 meters, since the thing is so powerful and the damage does drop with aimed range as expected. I look forward to trying that gun. Also, for 'realism', you may want to check and make sure that if SawnOff is aimed, the soldier will never miss. In fact, he really shouldn't miss all that often at short range burst either with a sawn off shotgun. But, I didn't know how to check quickly the accuracy or reliability of the weapon.

Finally, there is a holder-over from my last play of the Rebalance mods. I wanted the Shocker or stun unit to have more range, somewhere around 3 meters to 5 meters, so that the Chomper doesn't have to be chewing my head off in order for the Shocker to work. I also thought that it should be smaller and not take up a whole slot. Anyway, the last time I tried it, I didn't like it because it had no range. The Chrysalis thing has huge range, so we should be able to get even if a transgenant is relatively close.

When it comes to UFO:AM and balance, a lot of it has to do with range. Being in range and being able to get off a shot is everything.

I like what I am seeing and wish that the days weren't so short in my life. Thank you for your efforts!

One other thing. When you start creating new soldiers types, make one of the starting soldiers be Very Good or Excellent for psi, so that you have at least one soldier who can use the Psi Projector right from the beginning if you should happen use the ALLITEMS cheat to turn on the Rebalance at the start of a new game.

I guess that would make Malcolm or Brian start out with enough Psi ability to mount and use a Psi Projector, or some new starting soldier type should come with the gift.

I don't know where the ability to use the Psi Projector comes in - Very Good might be the trigger point. I don't know for sure.

I wanted to mount and try that heavy Psi unit that you created, but was denied.

EDIT:

I went back and played a mission. I just had to try the BFG9000. Awsome!! I love the sound effects and the result. It fries the trees turning them into charcoal, super neato! It's a keeper!!

I took the AutoCannon on the other soldier. I liked the thoughts of different types of ammunition. I like the AutoCannon too, but there isn't really any way to tell what type of ammunition is in it. Is there any way to give each ammo type different symbols instead of them all being called AC, or a way to describe exactly what type of ammunition is actually in the gun?

I had to think about this for a bit. Okay, here's my thinking. If a gun like the Warp Resonator is limited to ten shots per tactical mission, then I should be permitted to deliver those ten shots to anything that I can see on the map. Thus, I would like the Warp Resonator to have a long range in aimed mode. And, I would always use aimed mode, so that I get each of my ten shots. Actually, while using the Warp Resonator, I have noticed that half of my aimed shots seem to miss, especially in forested ground. Because there are so few shots, I wouldn't mind if the accuracy rating of the Warp Resonator were increased a bit.

Now to the BFG9000, I would apply some of the same theories or thinking. I would say, keep the BFG9000 the way that it currently is in version 5.2, for those who like it the way it is. It's great that way, truly. But, if I were you, I would create a second version of the gun, possibly a more advanced version. I would call it the Versatile BFG, and this is how it would work. With the Versatile BFG, you would get twelve shots in aimed mode, and in aimed mode, the Versatile BFG would have a 70 meter range. Furthermore, in aimed mode, I would limit the area effect of the Verastile BFG, which means if I shoot at a Reticulan standing next to me, he dies in one shot, but I am unharmed. The Versatile BFG would also have a burst mode. In burst mode, the Versatile BFG would give you only four shots before the gun is empty. In burst mode, the Versatile BFG would also have a range of 70 meters, which means that you can deliver your shot to anything on the map that you can see, but in burst mode, the gun would have a huge area effect and do massive damage. Thus, if you shoot the Versatile BFG in burst mode at an alien standing next to you, then it dies, you die, and everything else in the room dies as well. In burst mode, the Versatile BFG would be like the Redeemer in Unreal Tournament. In burst mode, Versatile BFG would have the same 'unlimited' range as aimed mode, but only four shots and huge area effect. In burst mode, the Versatile BFG could be used to clear forest. Shoot it in the general area far away, and not only does the Reticulan hiding behind the tree die but so does all the trees in the area. In burst mode it creates a crater. So, in burst mode, you want to shoot the Versatile BFG far away so that it doesn't take out your team with its massive area effect damage, but in aimed mode the Versatile BFG can be used nearby or faraway without any danger to your own team. In aimed mode, the only thing in danger of the Versatile BFG is the target itself, and it's dead. But in burst mode with the Versatile BFG you risk taking out your whole team unless you shoot at something far away. Thus the Versatile BFG should have a 70 meter or 80 meter range whether it is shot aimed or shot in burst mode, thereby in this case reversing the normal thinking usually associated with burst mode and weapons, where range is concerned.

Wow, what a list, nice! :)

Ok, here's what i will add/change to reflect your tips:

-Lurker: ok Alien2-Gun AND Adv. Shotgun will be done.

-Kermel: Shall i make the knife a bit weaker? Tell me your experiences/ideas. The alternate ammotypes you mentioned are indeed thought for the later game, when aliens are more diverse, at the game start the normal ammo is better. Oh, btw the Sniper/burst weapon is done and it has the stats you suggested (bit smaller range than sniperrifle and bit weaker than usual burst).

-Lurker: Sawnoff - accuracy will be rechecked, good idea! The Berzerk armor is changed in 5.3, the other armors, too. I think you will like the changes! Btw, i can't make another heavy armour, the two in the game are hardcoded, no other "real" heavy is possible. But wait for the new changes, i'm sure you love them! The adv. Warp Resonator will be done or at least the old one will be improved(more shots!). I'll try to re-size the nanotech. The BFG-9000, ah you discovered it's area effect! :power: Do you like the green projectile and effects the way i did it? It was my first change regarding new effects, whew, hard to do. I'll try to give it a bit more range and shots, reading your ideas. Stun weapon with range--- will be the next weapon i gonna do! And i will try to resize the Shocker. The name Brian is hardcoded for the second crewmember, i couldn't change it atm, but as new crewmembers will "arise", i'll change that. Promised. Editing the stats of new soldiers isn't possible directly, i only could rise the average level of them, but i don't know if that's what you want. But i could change the increase of abilities when being trained. Shall i do something like that? Oh and regarding the autocannon-icons (ammo), i'll try to make them a bit easier to recognize, i already re-did the OICW ones that way. (5.3, that is)

Ok that's it in a nutshell, albeit a big nutshell :D

Thx for the tips and feedback, keep them coming at that rate :)