names for the organisation

Alan

I think it's a very good idea, and in my opinion, the people around the forums will understand completely. In general (there have been a few notable exceptions) most of the people I've encountered on these forums, as well as the ones at XTC, are highly intelligent. I doubt they'll have any difficulty grasping the significance of the Phoenix.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said, a few notable exceptions... :blink:

But I'll stop this before it gets off topic.

Perhaps the Phoenix Regiment. It has a military ring to it, and makes sense seeing as the survivors are banding together in a cohesive unit to rise from the ashes of mankind's destruction and strike back.

Well, that really doesn't matter, does it? If the name sounds good and has the right connotations, that's the most important thing. I do think I like this one, actually, though Phoenix Regiment sure has a nice ring, too. Phoenix Militia may be more in keeping with the spirit of the game, though. Of course, we're saying all this as if it were up to us. :blink::(

How about something like the council of earth or whatever it ends up as, that is the entire government for the survivors. The phoenix militia becomes the actual worldwide military force. And then the Phoenix squad could be the sort of commando task force that the player controls. Sound useable to anyone else?

Actually, I quite like the word Phoenix, and I think it is a very good idea. Now just try to think about an appropriate descriptive word, Phoenix Regiment sounds nice, but at the same time is sounds awfully like something from BattleTech. Keep the suggestions coming, I think we are really getting somewhere here.

Martin likes BattleTech! I love Martin! :inlove: (Just kidding, tho BattleTech is what I grew up on on my old Commodore 64 when I was a wee laddy :blink: Racing around in my Locust and battling the evil Draconis Combine... those were the days!).

I think you'd probably get away with Phoenix Regiment. There's nothing too BattleTechy about it, as it's quite (but not totally) different from the Phoenix Hawk LAM - the 'Mech you see at the end of said game.

For those of you who are unfortunate enough to not know to what me and Martin are referring, check out my article over HERE on said game :)

Phoenix Cluster

Phoenix Squad

Phoenix Guerillas...

Then we're off into things like:

Regiment of the Flaming Phoenix (sounds a bit more meaty to me, whilst at the same time somehow corny... :()

I'll think up some more soon enough ;)

If it helps to spark anyone's imagination, the following is a list of other organizational groups from within the U.S. Army:

Team (A group consisting of about 4 soldiers)

Squad (A group consisting of 2-3 Teams)

Platoon (A group consisting of 3-4 Squads)

Company (A group consisting of 3-4 Platoons. Same size as a Troop)

Troop (A group consisting of 3-4 Platoons. Same size as a Company)

Battalion (A group consisting of 5-6 Companies or Troops)

Regiment (A group consisting of 2+ Battalions)

Brigade (A combat group consisting of several Battalions and support groups)

Division (A force consisting of multiple Brigades and all associated support units)

Corps (A very large organizational unit consisting of multiple Divisions)

Army (The largest organizational unit consisting of multiple Corps)

See, Alan, I told you I had a good idea--and I haven't gone off-topic either. Don't I get a nice pat on the head or something?  

*pats tammy on the head* good girl :blink:

the following is a list of other organizational groups from within the U.S. Army:

cool, but maybe it wouldn't be entirely appropriate to use US army organisations, as they are based on alot more people being available. It may well be that teams would be two people, squads would be six people and that would be the largest subdivision of the whole... *ponders*

/me goes and changes topic name to: names for the organisation

Thanks for the pat, Alan. :blink:

You may have a point about the American military names, though they could be used without regard to what they actually mean since most people are not as knowledgeable about such things as Warlord.