So I totally was going to take a picture of the newly painted white screen door today, but it unfortunately needed another coat of paint yet (especially the lower part of the door where I used Bondo). Out came the roller for a final coat, and I can tell that's just what the doctor ordered. Plus it'll give the area with the most wear another level of protection. I'll do a big reveal tomorrow then.
Zombie, on 07 November 2018 - 05:52 AM, said:
We also had a window replaced this fall, so I figured I should get going on that too. This is what it looks like currently.
It needed a lot of caulking so I got most of that completed and I also applied a coat of brown paint on the upper part of the brick molding. Unfortunately by this point the work day was coming to an end, it started to rain, and it was getting dark (no more daylight saving time as that ended on Sunday) so no pic was taken. Will do that tomorrow, weather permitting.
I never did get around to taking a picture of that it seems. Well, there's also a door next to that window on the roof and it's in terrible shape. The original plan was to replace the window and the door at the same time, but only the window was fixed. There is a screen door on the outside which takes the brunt of the weather and the whole frame and molding for the screen door was rotted out. I started on one of my infamous "destructor" sessions and almost forgot to take a pic.
So yeah, I kinda got carried away and just tore the whole thing out. The molding was heavily caulked so I decided to scrape all of the old stuff out to start over with a fresh surface. And there was some loose paint around the mortar joints so I scraped that off too.
For the window, the brick molding is soft and rotten on the right side. Now, I could just replace that piece and be done with it. But brick molding comes in 10 foot sections, the perimeter of the window is 9 feet 1 inch, so it would be stupid not to replace the whole thing. We are going to use new PVC brick molding for this application as it gets a lot of weather up there.
As for the door, the molding is actually nothing more than a 3/4 inch thick board. I found a section of that in the small garage that I can cut up and use, gotta love it when you have something on hand and don't have to buy anything for a project. Best part is that this section is just long enough to cover the sides and the top. The lower molding is a piece of wood 1 1/2 x 2 1/2 inches so I can cut down a normal piece of 2x4 lumber and it'll be perfect (I'm going to repurpose an old piece from the greenhouse for this).
After scraping, pulling nails, removing screws, chipping away old putty I was left with, well, what was left.
To fix the threshold I'm going to use some bondo to fill in the rotten area. To fix the frame on the left side I'm not sure how I'm going to handle that. I might dig out all the wood that's bad and try to marry another piece to it by screwing it into the mortar joints and caulking everything up. I'll keep you updated on the progress.