My Over-Heating PC

Chrysalid_zombie

I missed one day! One day! Once again, all hell breaks loose when I'm left to fend for myself, a million forum posts, a kazzilion roleplay posts and we lost a HWP that I'd been waiting to see in action for months! How does the universe pick such bad times to throw problems at me!

Well, my PC is overheating, or more specifically my graphics card is. I'm not sure if it's the case's venting system or the card at fault as I need to do some testing, but I'm now running on the 16MB inbuilt lump of garbage on the motherboard. To see the fun I had on saturday and sunday visit the website. Or, if you don't want to load the index page, here's a link to the inventions section that contains my cooling systems: Linkage

So why should you all care? Because the problem still rears it's head at random. I'll be typing along and suddenly *WHAM!* the computer will lock up, turn off or bleep at me untill I turn it off. As a result, my roleplaying ability may be drained until this is fixed.

Now I'm off to *try* to catch up with the roleplay posts, then I've got two days of webcomics to look through... Then the emails... Oh god the emails! The Horror!!!

:: runs screaming into Outlook Express ::

Checked out your "research" report there...

I must say though you seemed to be on to something with the ice cube jar. The flaws being that there was not enough cold air and the condensation made the electronics wet. But...

Have you tried using a few cooler packs instead? There's no condensation and they come in pretty small plastic containers. You pile a few in the corner of your casing there and aim the fans at the right angle, your problem just might be solved. Except you'll probably need to replace them every so often...

I thought I could solve the problem with ice, until I actually found out how hot the problem was. My graphics card is right next to the power pack because of a shoddy case design and for some reason it heats up to insane temperatures. I tried to guage the temperature I was dealing with by placing my hand on it and the thing burned me! It hurt like hell! I can literally cook food items on there, especially bacon because it is of the correct size and shape to fit on a graphics card. I'm currently using the card as an expensive paper weight while I look for another PC to test it in, then I'll know what is really going wrong... Card or case? Either way I'm gonna get me a new case with proper venting systems in it. More money down the drain, but a vital purchase none the less.

On a side note, it's not all bad, I've used the poor graphics as an excuse to play some oldish games like Halflife a lot more. I still say those little crab things are brain suckers, pure and simple...

Update to the problem! After getting a new case (which is actually a cool old case modded... Website will be updated with it sometime) the problem persists. It is definitley my graphics card over-heating, but could have been caused by the initial heating problems in the old case. I'm now using an old G-Force 2 (64MB) I've had for years. My PC is so slow that I have trouble just scrolling down this window! I'm going crazy!!!

To be honest I have no clue as to what to do. The card and PC are out of warranty (especially after I drilled holes in the case, used ice to cool it and I've swapped and changed half of it's components :blush:) but I'm scared to get a new graphics card in case the same thing happens. Anyone know everything about graphics cards and how one could possibly super heat itself yet still keep working for the 120 seconds it takes to blank out? To quote Futurama: "Kiff... We have a conundrum..."

CZ signing out, and maybe not signing in again if this bucket of semiconducting bolts has anything to do with it...

P.S - Anyone want to buy a paperweight for £130? It looks pretty.