Might & Magic Heroes VII (A Clusterpuck)

NoXTheRoXStaR

Hello everyone,

I thought I'd do a small review of M&MH7 since it came out in the U.S. at around midnight on the 28th of September. While I admit I've only played about 3 hours or so I remain however, morally obligated to give you my thoughts and opinions.

First some background.

Ubisoft purchased the rights and permissions to the game franchise series Might & Magic and Heroes of Might & Magic from 3DO a now defunct company, their first entry was Heroes of Might & Magic V. At that time the developer was Nival, a company many of you are familiar with as they made the game Silent Storm. The game was long awaited and for the most part generated mostly positive reviews and went on to make 2 expansion packs. Ubisoft then hired a different development team for Heroes VI (now re branded as Might & Magic Heroes) with the Hungarian based Black Hole Entertainment. The game when first released IMO was a complete disaster with bugs and glitches everywhere. It took 3 development teams in order to finish VI; Black Hole Entertainment (Bankrupt), Limbic Entertainment and finally Virtuous Ltd.

Now a poorly written review.

While 6 was (IMO) despite the massive patches a failure in terms of previous Homm games, 7 showed some promise and a return to the older days of Homm glory. Sadly this is not the case. The system requirements for this game are unnecessarily large, and if you own a machine older than 3-4 years old you might literally need a new pc (I'll post the SysReq at the end). The graphics look like a throwback to games released in 2010, which makes me scratch my head as to why such a high sysreq for such low end graphics. The loading screens are sluggish, the cutscenes are completely moronic. I'm starting to think Ubisoft really cut the budget on this game, the cutscenes are abysmal. Although most new games have issues online servers for multiplayer, I wasn't able to connect to Uplay at all. The biggest kicker is that there's a DAY 1 - 11GB PATCH! Are you shitting me? Some of the skills aren't working as intended and from what I've played some of the units need rebalancing. What pisses me off the most is that I was a beta key holder and many of us complained about some of the features not working correctly, yet upon release the same damn problems were still released with no attempts at fixing them. This is uncalled for, and I blame Ubisoft for forcing this game out the door when it obviously needed a few more months of polish and to iron out some of these issues instead of green lighting it and then releasing a phucking 11 GB patch on day one. INEXCUSABLE!

Final verdict.

2/5.

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME.

System Requirements.

Minimum

CPU: Intel Core i5 660 3.3 GHz or AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.2 GHz CPU Speed: Info RAM: 4 GB OS: Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8/8.1 (Only 64bit) Video Card:

NVidia GeForce GTX 460 or AMD Radeon HD 5850 (1024 MB VRAM)

Recommended

CPU: Intel Core i5 2400 @ 3.1 GHz or AMD FX-6100 @ 3.3 GHz CPU Speed: Info RAM: 6 GB OS: Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8/8.1 (Only 64bit) Video Card: NVidia GeForce GTX 670 or AMD Radeon HD 7870 (2048 MB VRAM)

-NoX

Well as a long time member at Celestial Heavens (Homm site), I'd say most would agree that 3 was the creme of the crop. I never could get into 4 considering how New World Computing (the original developers of Heroes and M&M) changed the game up. I think 3 and 5 are worth it, 5 has been likened to a "3D version of 3". 1-5 are all at GOG.com and they also have Chronicles which was based on the 3rd's game engine.

-NoX