Space 4X Boardgame in development

Okim

Homeworld has its development lasting for millennia, so its more suited for agricultural needs. New worlds need a lot of work, time and effort to reach the homeworld`s output capacity (you have to cut down forests, prepare land, adopt your plant/animal life to new conditions, grow the stuff etc.). The time scale used in game is just too short for colonies to grow large (1 game cycle = 1 year, 1 turn = '1 year/number of players' = 6/4/3 month).

For now i`m concerned about finishing this game in Russian. It still needs a box design, race portraits and a rulebook (that takes tremendous amounts of time to set up properly). Once i`m done - i`ll release it locally and then start translating it into English (making more suitable names, descriptions and such).

Hi.

Here are some examples of hexes that are used in game (all hand-made, well with excessive use of Photoshop plugins and filters):

https://www.electrotender.ru/SF/hexes2.jpg

Each hex has a star on one of its sides and sytem (planets) on the other. There are 4 star types (colours) in game. Blue always have mineral rich planets, orange always have terran type planets, white have at least one celestial body (planet and/or asteroids) and red are the worst systems in the game (half of them are empty). Nebulas and black holes are separate type of systems called Deep Space.

Player set up the map in turns starting from placing hexes around the core world (which for this time is called Antares). Then they fill up other rings until the map takes a proper set up for the current number of players.

Players can`t see what each hex contains until they explore it with their ships. Deep Space hexes are always turned up after the map is created.

The cost wasn`t yet determined, so i can`t say for sure how much would be enough for a baker to get the game.

And campaign is currently to raise money for an artist. That`s the only thing that slows development down right now.

The goal is to gather funds for furhter development (for an artist). At this stage i can`t guarantee anything, so it would be a bad idea to promise a game for baking the project without a solid ground under the feet.

SV is making a valid point, Okim, but you seem to have missed it: what's the incentive for the backer?

Plainly, being listed in the credits of something that may well never get to market doesn't do anything to motivate me or most other people.

I could be mistaken, but asking for $1 with no tangible outcome verges on the pointless. More importantly, such a single, low figure, implicitly devalues the game by itself from the get go in the eye of the beholder.

If you're serious about both the game and gaining people's support the rewards need to be worthwhile and appealing.

You can't promise a game? Colour me puzzled. Didn't you in effect say you've already created the game?

As you can surmise, this way you'll end up giving off the wrong message entirely.

From what I understand you already have a game - it's fully designed, all the mechanics are in place and right now you're just playtesting it for balance - all you want is to finish it by having some final art assets made.

You should already know and tell:

- who is willing to/will manufacture/publish the game when you're all done?

- how much will each copy cost?

- if the above route is not your intended delivery medium can you indicate how you intend people to play? (for instance, as a free Print and Play game that gamers can print themselves from a PDF or similar)

If you presently can't answer these questions you should take any steps necessary to be able to do so as soon as you possibly can.

You should also be aware of the fact that people will instinctively value a boxed product more, because that means someone was willing to publish your game (so it must be good enough) and the build quality of the game components so produced and packaged is bound to be quite decent.

Suggestion: visit Lock 'n Load Publishing and look around (an example).

On the subject of Rewards: if you can still make changes/add more reward tiers for your Indiegogo campaign backers, you should definitely consider it and think what you can do to spice things up.

Start by seeing what other similar campaigns offer for comparison/guidance. You should really have tiers ranging from 10 to 45 even if they're just those two - 10 and 45 - because that signifies you're offering something worth at least 10, and also something that is worth the 45, or whatever upper pledge limit you choose.

A suggestion I'd make for a possible special backer reward: a digital version of the game, playable in VASSAL, or similar Virtual Tabletop software.

In case you haven't heard of it before, VASSAL is an engine to create and play boardgames online or via mail. (Edit: here's a useful link to get you started off)

I have no personal module creation experience with it but it strikes me that someone with your modding skills and background could pull it off, and even gain more of an audience for the game in the process.

This would obviously be something to deliver to backers, not outright, but at a given point in the future - ideally with you providing updates on occasion regarding your ongoing progress.

Lastly, you might want to check out this page, which lists a number of useful resources (even places where you might score some free art) related to virtual tabletop gaming.

::

I certainly wish you luck reaching your target as is, Okim.

Still, to have a true chance at success I figure you're better off with people speaking their minds.

Thanks for LnL publishin link and VASSAL. I`ve already send a message to the first guys. They seem to be a very promising alternative to my local rediculously expensive international mailers and publishers (which, btw, is the main reason why i can figure out the game`s cost and provide bakers with game tiers).

As i understand it correctly - VASSAL is free of charge?

Luckily Thor is around to not only explain my ramble, but also to know a lot more about the subject. What I wanted to say is that you are basically asking for money - for nothing. Sure it is for an artist, but you offer no reward to the one giving the funds. It is more asking for charity than offering a product. Which is what usual campaigns are all about - setting different funding levels, at which at least at some level the funder is promised the end product. A game, whatever.

What`s your opinion on a discount tier? For 25$ you`ll get a 25$ discount when the game hits the shelves. That`s what i can be sure of being able to afford right now.

It can even turn out in the future that these 25$ will be more than 50% of the game`s cost (without delivery fees).

What`s your thoughts?

For 25$ you`ll get a 25$ discount when the game hits the shelves.

That sounds to me like a very decent incentive and way better than what you initially had. Just mind how you're going to keep track of who is entitled to that discount if you go ahead with this tier.

Also, good updates, Okim - people can see the game is real now.

p.s.: ammend all mentions of 'baker' to backer.

Added some perks to the campaign.

Now if you wish to get a digital copy of the rulebook (that will contain all the info about how to play the game, race descriptions with art and some info on ship types) or an option to name something after you or get a printable copy of the game - just pick the right tier.

Thanks for your advices. That`s a kind of support i value the most. I`ll discuss the discout tier with my publisher and see if its ok for him.

Now go there and pick your reward! The offer is limited! Oh, and be so kind to leave a comment there.

To me, the final price is most important. If I participate with 25$ I get 25$ off... Well, ok, but it depends on the final price. Just for the sake of argument, let's say the final price is 30$. Cool, so I will only need to chip in another fiver. But if the final price is 100$, I won't get the game period.

So setting the price would IMO bring most to your campaign, as most people want to know how much they will need to pay for the game, not for the artist. I'd suggest a good economic study, a look at other similar products and setting a price. I know you can not be utterly certain on the expenses, but some estimate is needed. Perhaps going a tiny bit higher than deemed necessary is fair to the customer as you won't need to rise the final price over each hiccup.

Suggestion: visit Lock 'n Load Publishing and look around (an example).

Just received the e-mail from LnL contact. He finds my game interesting and requests me to send a prototype to him. Says that i`ll receive around $2 per sold game which wont even cover the costs of prototype delivery for him.

Is it a normal situation with international publishers? $2 per game isn`t exactly the profit i was thinking about.

The only thing I can think of is contacting multiple publishers. Several proposals are the only real measure. When you see how much variation exists in their offers you will get an idea how much higher your profits might get in the negotiation process.

Without other offers you have no firm ground to ask for more. Which you always should, at every deal you're making.

As SV says, theoretically, it never hurts to get quotes from other publishers.

It does seem to me, though, you are unduly confining your reasoning to just a figure.

The value you get per copy are your earnings, but, in my view, it's far from the most important thing you stand to gain.

Do you have boardgames designed by you already available in the market? If not, and the publisher you've approached is showing an interest, I would advise following through.

Getting your first game published and in players' hands, especially the very first, is essential, even if just to establish a presence in the medium.

It's your name you're getting out there, on the boxes. That is invaluable, and a foot in the door. Right now, cash returns should really be secondary to you. That's something best left for when you've got three or four boardgames published with decent sales, having so garnered a modicum of respect and leverage as a designer to perhaps discuss earnings a little.

Also, when you're signing up with a publisher you're essentially tapping three things - that publisher's resources, its experience, and its connections/respective audience (the people who already work with the publisher in a commercial capacity, and the gamers who usually visit/buy games from them).

A game doesn't simply have to get manufactured, it has to be manufactured with a quality the publisher can accept to have its brand name associated with, the print run has to be sufficient to justify the cost and make a little money, and you have to factor in that in a limited yearly roster your game has to earn a spot over others brought to their consideration.

Then there's distribution to stores or mailing expenses, invoicing/accounting, and at a certain threshold, there's marketing the game at venues and expos of the segment, paying for flyers/leaflets and what not, etc.

None of which you have to actively and continually fund out of your own pocket.

And if that doesn't suffice to get you thinking, ask yourself this for a bottom-line: if 100 copies are sold it nets you $200. Care to tell me how much you've made, say, the last couple of years, from all the time and effort you've invested in modding?

Plus, once your creation is out - congratulations - nobody can dispute it: you are a published game designer.

Maybe you won't put the fear of God in Reiner Knizia outright, but it's a start. wink.png

How you make the best of it though is up to you, Okim.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

The Lords of The Stars campaign reached the necessary sum for its first race art!

Meet the mighty Avis race - an eagle-like noble navigators and pilots. Avis description and an art piece for them is available here: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/lords-of-the-stars-board-game/x/2371297 on the main page, and in the 'updates' section.

There are two new tiers for those of you who like to collect great looking arts and use them as wallpaper!

Spread the word! Get the arts! And leave you comments there!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...