TFTD/XComUtil Error message

ZeraSeraphim

I'm running the TFTDExtender mod program, and XComUtil at the time same using the XcomUtil patch listed on

https://www.strategyc...combo-mod-beta/

However, everytime that I get into a tactical battle, an annoying message shows up that looks like this

post-8459-0-32446700-1351278441_thumb.jpg

But the weird thing is that the game proceeds to load the tactical battle even after this application failure. Does anyone know how I can fix this, or even if it needs to be fixed? I'd really appreciate the help.

This is a problem related to the COMBOMOD, not tftdextender.

The program that splits the exe files into Geoscape and Tactical (made by Xcomutil author) has a bug.

We are working on fixing it. I already sent a correction file to BombBloke. After he tests it, we'll know more.

Expect some development later.

Honestly, I haven't had any luck getting the combomod to work at all. I was just using the xcomutil patch that was a part of it because it's the closest I've come to getting tftdextender and xcomutil to work together all day.

Thanks for replying so fast. I acknowlage that this bug will likely be fixed soon but is it a serious bug? Do I really need to fix it or is it benign enough to let be?

Oh yes, you are right. Xcomutil uses splitted exe as well.

I cannot tell really, because I have never worked with split exe files.

The problem itself is normally very serious (stack pointer problem) and causes data corruption over time, which can break the game at any point.

I will send the PM info to Tycho, he may try to test it/ implement it into TFTD extender.

Is there a way I can address this problem on my own instead of waiting for a new release of TFTDextender/ComboMod?

Surely, you may test it and help all people involved. That would be nice.

You need a hexeditor, open Geoscape.exe in your folder. Go to address 0x67d66.

And then: (this is a copy of what I PMed to BBloke)

I think you should try to overwrite in Geoscape.exe

address 0x67d66:

58c22000cc05

WITH

83C414c22000

If this does not work, I would try

83C414c21000

post-8459-0-86090100-1351293926_thumb.jpg

replacing 58c22000cc05 with 83C414c22000 seemed to fix the problem. I just entered a tactical battle after making the nessecary modifications, and there was no error message. Since I have TFTDExtender and XComUtil working together now in the same game, I have to test it for stability...

Very

Thorough

Testing.

I'll post here if there are any further problems, so if you don't hear anything from me, then good job, soldier.

Very well done, kyrub! grin.gif

Just a few notes:

The original EXE "splitting" code was written by Scott, as it was required for XcomUtil to function. While it works fine with UFO, in TFTD it always crashes when the geoscape engine exits (and also stops it from passing the right exit code).

ComboMod (along with BBMod) relies on the same split technique, which I've shamelessly copied from XcomUtil's patcher.

I've implemented kyrub's fix into my toolkit, so extracting that into your game folder and running _EXE Split.bat will apply it (ditto for running my ComboMod installer). Note that if you run XcomUtil's setup after doing this, Scott's original split patch'll be put back in place and so the crash'll come back with it. Running my splitter batch again'll fix it again.

The XcomUtil patch on my ComboMod thread page isn't included in my toolkit. It's simply a patch for XcomUtil that allows it to be used with TFTDLoader (and deals with a minor map bug), and can be used entirely independently of anything in my toolkit.

Nah, they're getting a different error.

The old splitter code caused TFTD to throw this every single time the "split" geoscape.exe exited:

XCOM crashed at 0x0 with error 0xC0000005 trying to access 0x00000000

... though that particular form of the error was only visible with Extender running. Otherwise you only got a generic "TFTD has encountered a problem and needs to close" message (as provided by Windows itself). Whenever the game crashes with Extender running, for just about any reason, you'll get something that looks like that rather then the traditional crash report.

The equivalent code for EU doesn't have that specific crash trigger at all, though it does collide with Extender's intro-skip to trigger the following:

XCOM crashed at 0x45E6A5 with error 0xC0000005 trying to access 0x000000

Beats me as to why those functions would interfere; if you don't already have it, here's a diff of the values involved in the split:

geoscape patch.txt

Mind you, you will still sometimes get random crashes when you go to start combat, but these are unrelated - they happen regardless as to whether you're using a "split" EXE or not (or even any mods at all). In fact, using the "split" version makes things a little more "stable" in that the batch file that jumps between the two game engines is perfectly happy to carry on and start combat even if the geoscape engine happened to crash at that exact point.

• 2 months later...