Research Backbone

StVier

Greetings everyone,

I have always enjoyed the research aspects of X-Com and subsequent UFO-series but somehow there is this thirst for more, or wished there were much more to it. However, I think if anymore research paths were put into the games, one might have to select the role of a Head Scientist instead of the Commander of troops.

After condensing similiarities between games like the UFO series and X-Com. I decided to illustrate the research aspect of these games into a simple diagram. Nothing original for sure, but I would think that there is great potential in what could be considered in future games. I would love to hear about your thoughts and add-ons in this open-ended topic.

Let me start the ball rolling...

One could simply randomise enemy (or human advanced armour) weaknesses and strengths between new games to generate replayability. For example Alien A in New game 1 could be resistant to laser but susceptible to armour piercing rounds but when you start another new game, Alien A might be resistant to both laser and armour piercing rounds, only taking substantial damage from fire or explosive rounds.

The only problem I would see is in the associated text in the alien profile in the Ufopedia. General stuffs could be carried over between new games but the variables like such weaknesses and strengths will have to be appended as a separate section.

https://www.xenonauts.com/components/com_agora/img/members/1627/Research-network.jpg

You could just include general descriptions that described the alien, but keep their actual attributes that define them hidden. Then as you capture and interrogate the aliens and their various ranks, research their corpse, etc, you fill out their information entry with new knowledge you gain through this. You could even add layers of how much information is revealed depending on how well you know the enemy. For example, at first you could probably get simple descriptons such as "moderate" or "c+" for their laser resistance, then and once you fully understand them you can get the precise numerical value, say 55% vs. lasers.

You could even include a hands-on approach to research, and start filling out some simple information through soldier observations in combat. How to do it, well that's another topic, but it's certainly one path you can take. Perhaps you could even have some player toggle-able 'notes', which you can add while the alien is not yet fully understood, which then get confirmed or corrected once the professionals have studied it better. Though it won't b the final say, it would be a good way of remembering things like if they had an easier time taking down the enemy with high explosives compared to plasma rounds.

Come to think of it, filling out research entries on aliens would practically be optional mini- or meta-missions you can undertake during the course of the game to better understand your foes for the current game cycle.

You could also extend research to random or controlled weapon development (as in, you control how the weapons end up). That could also be another way to make the whole R&D aspect of the game much more unpredictable and entertaining.

- NKF

You could also extend research to random or controlled weapon development (as in, you control how the weapons end up). That could also be another way to make the whole R&D aspect of the game much more unpredictable and entertaining.

This would be sooo awesome if it were implemented into an X-com style game! Only issue I really see with it is all the extra sprites/models you'd need for it, or having modular equipment that can be put together from parts too look different.

The idea reminds me of that from POWDER; there are a set number of items in the game, and a set number of properties. These are assigned randomly to each other when it starts, so each playthrough you have to re-discover which does what - and as some properties are only usable once per item, and some are outright hazardous to you, you do need to put a bit of thought into your "research" process.

Come to think of it, filling out research entries on aliens would practically be optional mini- or meta-missions you can undertake during the course of the game to better understand your foes for the current game cycle.

Like splitting up the research of an alien into different phases?

Phase 1: Recognition (Troop's sighting)

Phase 2: Identification of general properties (resistances and weaknesses)

Phase 3: Research into physiology and biology

Phase 4: Identification of critical weaknesses (for extra damage)

It would be nice to get regular updates about a research project into an alien upon completion of certain phases and then to decide if more effort be put into getting further knowledge from the corpse.

Reminds me of a squad-based real-time strategy game called Alien Infestation whereby the properties of a weapon varies from mission to mission. For example, a big shiny gun that one-shot aliens in one scenario might actually cause the alien to multiply in another scenario, so there is a need to research a weapon whenever you find one in any given scenario.