A Digital Incarnation

Thorondor

Letting you take part in some of the most important battles of the Second World War, the scenario-based Memoir '44 Online is a digital adaptation of the Memoir '44 board game with all the usual accoutrements of such games, such as command cards, tactic cards, custom dice and a playing field subdivided into sections and hexes, each with its own peculiarities in terms of terrain type, fortification and others.

There are currently some 42 scenarios in all, which gradually become available as ranks are gained.

The game is free to try for a number of hours either versus the AI or online opponents, but then follows a pay-to-play model so as to fund continued development and the creation of more content.

I can attest the boardgame version of this is one of my favorites - I had the privilege of playing with a wargaming group that had their own painted figurines and rules for co-op mode (shared command of a side between left flank, right flank, and the general). Rules were understandable even with my short attention span, and I loved pushing tiny tanks around. (Of course the online version wouldn't have the same tactile appeal, tho.)