Making Flying suit a Floater

T'Flok

GEEZ! RA ALLMIGHTY! I want answers not questions. HOW TO DO IT!?!

*Takes a breath*

Ok I want this because I like aliens more than people appearantly.

*takes another breath*

I'm frustated as heck I hate flying suit I want to be alien called Floater with floating and flying abilities.

Download UFO The Two Sides and you can play as aliens. Problem solved... You do have to play against a human online if you want to have a campaign though...

I hate multiplayer to death. But the mod itself looks promising.

Now back to the question how do I convert flying suit to floater?

Needs a bit of work. Use BB's tool suit from the files section to extract/insert the graphics. PCKView works too but only on the extraction part - it breaks when inserting pck images into the sprite packs.

First extract the floater and xcom2.pck sprites. Then use an image editor to copy and paste the floater sprites into their respective xcom2.pck sprites. You'll have to duplicate the floater body for the torsos images as xcom2.pck also doubles for the power suit.

For any of the xcom2.pck sprites that are used for the legs, you'll have to blank them out, unless you want to do something clever and make a new images for it. Say a squat floater with outriggers extended from its floating unit to plant it on the ground or something - like that whatsit tank in Starcraft with the arclite cannon. In which case you'd have to chop the floater torso in half just like the X-Com sprites and do the legs separately.

Once done, repack them into the xcom2.pck file and got test it to see if all the sprites line up right.

And that is my extreme opinion on it which I am ambivalent with a passion! :P

- NKF

Needs a bit of work. Use BB's tool suit from the files section to extract/insert the graphics. PCKView works too but only on the extraction part - it breaks when inserting pck images into the sprite packs.

First extract the floater and xcom2.pck sprites. Then use an image editor to copy and paste the floater sprites into their respective xcom2.pck sprites. You'll have to duplicate the floater body for the torsos images as xcom2.pck also doubles for the power suit.

For any of the xcom2.pck sprites that are used for the legs, you'll have to blank them out, unless you want to do something clever and make a new images for it. Say a squat floater with outriggers extended from its floating unit to plant it on the ground or something - like that whatsit tank in Starcraft with the arclite cannon. In which case you'd have to chop the floater torso in half just like the X-Com sprites and do the legs separately.

Once done, repack them into the xcom2.pck file and got test it to see if all the sprites line up right.

And that is my extreme opinion on it which I am ambivalent with a passion! :D

- NKF

THANKS! :P I'll see if I can get this to work when I stop being lazy for just about 10 minutes. once again.. thanks man. I may come back asking somthing but for now your explonation has to do. :D

I took a stab at it, but even I got bored. Probably because I'd already done the same job when I imported the Floater imagery into TFTD.

I suppose a better way to go about it would be to tweak the game so that any soldier assigned flying armour really does become a floater when it hits the battlescape.

The simple way to do this would be to locate the values in the EXE that are used when adding units to the field at the start of a new battle - their starting stats, and their type, are defined by the armour they wear. I could swear Zombie located these values for X-COM armour at some point, but checking his magnificent list'o'EXE stats, I'm only seeing the actual defense values in a lump.

So the next simplest way is to have a program run in between missions to change the unit table on the fly. Just so happens there's already a ton of mods that operate like that, including mine - BBMod, which is included in my toolkit.

Long story short, you extract my toolkit over your game folder, then you extract this archive on top of that, then you run BBMod.bat. If all is according to plan, flying suits should turn into floaters. It's just a very quick'n'dirty conversion, no stat changes or anything like that, just the graphical and sound effects - I think even the corpses will be uneffected, to memory, though that could be changed.

Now, I suspect I somehow broke BBMod when I last uploaded it, but I'm not sure (I suspect my antivirus is playing games with me). If you get asked to locate an EXE then I probably have.

If it doesn't work, I'll need to know what happened instead, how you started the game (through DOSBox? By double clicking the batch?), what release of UFO you have and where you got it, plus what version of Windows you're running (including whether or not it's 64bit).

If it does work, and you want other units tweaked in the same way (eg turn real floaters into flying suits), it would be simple enough to do.

Unit_Switcher.rar

HOLY...!!! IT WORKED! :P Thanks a million!

Ok now to my system stuff I use DOS UFO EU version 1.3 and I have Windows XP Home edition not sure what bit (older one I'm sure of it) or SP since my machine effed up one day and had to reinstall windows.

Again thanks! Will post photos later of it. :D