Slugging it out in the shipping lanes!

XCom42

Well, I just recently started playing TFTD for the first time in 8 years. I never finished the game before because the research tree was so bugged up it drove me crazy! But I'm giving it another shot, and I just wanted to say:

I STILL LOVE THIS GAME!!!!

The tactical battles are awesome! I'm about 3 months into the game, I've only developed the medi-kit, and all the Gauss technology except for Gauss Craft Cannon & Gauss Defense. I can't remember the difficulty level I'm playing - I think it's the middle one. Anyway, I am in the middle of an awesome shipping lane terror attack!

After blowing up most of the top deck of the ship, trading shots with the Tasoths and their little brain pod cohorts, I finally defeated the aliens despite taking 2 casualities from my 10 person team! Whew! It was an awesome fight, and most of my aquanauts were getting low on ammunition...I forgot the shipping lane battles were 2 stagers....Gulp! :)

Now my squad, with one dead, one wounded, is fighting below decks with the Tasoths, while trying to conserve Gauss rounds!! 2 more aquanauts have been incapacitated by the Tasoth's M.C. attacks, but I think I've turned the tide of the battle. I've just captured the lowest level, and we're working our way back to the top deck...Too bad I had to go to work!!! :)

I just wanted to say that this game (and the original X-Com) are still one of the better games out there, despite their age and graphics!!!

I'm still only using human weapons and equipment. I've developed gauss tech, but I've been focusing all my research energy on armour development. I have underwater aqua armor, and I'm about 1/2 way through ion armour.

I took out a colony the other day. I had 12 troopers, two with heavy gauss guns, 8 with gauss rifles and 2 with pistols and several magna pack explosives. Each of my other troopers carried the heavy explosives too. They see to be the only thing that'll make a dent in those lobstermen!! On the plus side, with the multiple hits it takes to bring them down, my soldiers are becoming decent marksmen!!

I also had the two lightest armed troopers serve as scavengers on the topside part of the mission. They ferried artefacts from dead aliens to the Triton after each area was secured. That helps a lot on the money side!!! I think I made 4 million from the colony attack alone!! :)