Base defense

ichbins

Hi,I've played Ufo a lot when I was a kid but never played it through... now I'm playing it again (dos version) and it's still great :laugh: I have a question that I couldn't find definitely answered here after a short search.

I've started the campaign and have built a storage base. I'd like to keep that base undefended (= no soldiers or tanks there). Is it possible to defend the base only with facilities without giving the aliens any chance to conquer the base? Currently there are 4 fusion ball defences and 1 mind shield in construction, one grav shield would follow as soon as it is avaiable. Would that work?

Greetings ichbins

Hallo! I'm not an expert but I think you have to have a human garrison. I'm basing this on the fact that a strategy guide writer at one time suggested that you could defend a base simply by having a tank or two there, no need for human soldiers. He was subsequently in receipt of hate mail from people who had followed the advice and lost the base to aliens :laugh:

I'm sure someone with more experience will confirm or correct me ...

That's right. You have to have at least 1 soldier in the base if you want to defend it with tanks. Otherwise the base gets wiped out. But that is if the aliens get into the base.

If you only plan to defend it with defenses, you'll have to make sure the battleship never lands so 4, 5 or more fusion defenses and the grav shield should do the trick.

To reduce the chance of the base being found, it's often a good idea to build in the Antarctic , where there is very little alien activity except the occasional flyby. The mind shield will help a lot. In fact, you could get away with only a light garrison (just in case) and no defense modules this way. If you plan to add hangars to store aircraft, don't ever send them out for interceptions.

- NKF