Replacing sprites in TFTD with UFOEU ones

necroant

I'm kind of partial to the half-track Coelacanths! :laugh: But hey, tanks are great too.

Bomb Bloke's toolkit collection has just what you need:

https://www.strategycore.co.uk/files/index.php?dlid=683

It has a tool to unpack and pack UFO sprites into TFTD sprites. Just be mindful that the two games use entirely different palettes, so the results may not always be very desirable by immediately plugging the sprites in TFTD after extracting them from UFO.

- NKF

Toolkit looks very helpfull, but i don't have java installed so i cant actualy perform a sprite conversion as discribed in manual. But, looking at the screenshots i can say that at least an autor of the toolkit already done this before, so can anyone share with me already converted hybrid sprite set, or at least the instruct me how to install java engine needed to use the utilites?

Looks delicious, thank you. Now i think i can bear playing TFTD and even take some pleasure :laugh:

upd:

There's something wrong.

If Calcinite is replaced with Cryssalid, then resulting "sterile Cryssalid" leaves floater corpse when droping dead.

Similar thing hapen if soldier in personal armor dies - he leaves power armor-looking corpse.

Deep ones, whom i decided not to change at all, leave purple corpses i cant identefy(possibly from some TFTD terror unit i've never encountered so far)

All the corpse sprites go into one single image archive file, in together with all the other objects that can appear on the ground (eg guns, grenades, and so on). Each unit produces a certain type of corpse object when killed.

The pack contains a direct conversion of the item image set, but the corpses don't directly map to those from the other game - hence the mismatches.

If you installed Java you could dump the image archive yourself and reorder it, but I suspect it'd be easier for me to do it myself and email you the result then it would be to explain the process to you. I specifically need to know which units you've replaced with which in order to do it.

If you installed Java you could dump the image archive yourself and reorder it, but I suspect it'd be easier for me to do it myself and email you the result then it would be to explain the process to you. I specifically need to know which units you've replaced with which in order to do it.

I had installed java, but still can't tell head to tails in your toolpack. So, no matter how much it pains me to admit it, you are right, im dumb :laugh: .

So, i replaced following units:

Aquatoid -> Sectoid

Biodrone -> Celatid

Calcinite -> Cryssalid

Gillman -> Snakeman

Lobsterman -> Muton

Tasoth -> Ethereal

Aquanafts -> XCom troopers

Triscene -> Sectopod

Civil_1 -> CivF

Civil_2 -> CivM

Zombie -> Zombie

Tank01 -> Tanks

btw, what are *.xpc and *.xta files for?

It's simply the case that I'd have to do a fair bit of typing to determine what you already know about the command prompt, explain the commands you'd need to perform, files you'd need to rename, and so on... No offence intended. :laugh:

Anyway, extract this straight into your game folder:

UFOtoTFTDitems.zip

I haven't specifically tested it, but it should be about right. My intention was to write a program to deal with all this (or rather, to con Zombie into writing one), but no one was interested so I never got around to it. You're probably the first person (other then myself) to perform a unit conversion on this scale.

Neither XPC nor XTA files ring a bell with me. At first I thought they'd have something to do with XcomUtil, but a search didn't turn up any matches in my game folders (I have lots of UFO/TFTD installs...).

Google suggests XPC is used by some Action Replay devices or 3D modelling programs. XTA seems to be similar to XML. I'd need some more info on where you saw these files and what their names were to come up with anything further.

Just a guess, but the XTA and XPC look remarkably like TAB and PCK with an X in front of them. Think they're backups of the sprites for whatever utility you may have used?

What about the more recent XComutil beta Bladefirelight's working on? That might use them.

- NKF

Yeah, that's what they'll be (was a head-desk moment when I saw necroant's reply). Some of my installs should include XCU 9.7 stuff but that doesn't really mean anything. That's the most likely source, though I've no idea why it'd try to back up those particular files...

Odd, you said it was working before... But I see what I've done; I forgot to set a 4-byte TAB file for the image pack that deals with objects on the ground. I've replaced the above download file with a somewhat fixed version.

I *presumed* it was working, after all you do know what you are doing. Now i've made some checking first, and it seems runing nice and smooth. Thank you very much, you wasted a lot of time on a thing nobody but me probаbly will enjoy, it's most appreciated. Is the're anything more i can say, or do to express my gratitude?

Hey, one person enjoying it is an infinite increase over my previous tally of zero. :laugh:

Let me know if you have any more problems. I did a quick test before uploading that last file and noticed some shading issues; don't be surprised if I upload another copy tomorrow. :oh: