25 replies to this topic

#21 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 06:25 PM

Ok so one UFO downed and cleared, another made one drop which has been taken care of, the third... Well that's today's mission!

I reloaded the game and tried to remember which direction it went but have no idea. So instead I fastforward a little to see what happens to the Alien Activity graph. I don't have to wait too long as the game is soon re-paused by the completion of the Multiworm study, my last live alien! The biochemists begin work on the chrysalis autopsy as it seems like a pretty major evolutionary step for these aliens.
Posted Image

A check of the graphs during this pause reveals slight activity in the Gravball league and massive growth in the Cult of Sirius... Sadly there is no location on the map with these two organisations in close proximity so my investigation isn't helped greatly but it's a start. I decide to check out the cult first as they hate me anyway. There are 3 temples in the area where the third UFO was last spotted so I'll try them first.
Posted Image

Only 7 troopers are left with full health now, 5 from 3&4 with the others both from squad2. Not wanting to cross-contaminate the squads I launch with just five men and soon arrive at the first temple. Not a trace of activity so we move to the next where the scene repeats... The final building in question is far to the North and finally we find some badguys to blast! The troops go into action as a single five-man squad.

It doesn't seem to be too large a map and is only 4 levels high. We've started off in an altar room so we begin by clearing the area. As we circle to the south our first hostiles appear, 2 Cult of Sirius troopers arriving through an elevator. Intent on doing as much damage as possible, Maria slaps in some High Explosive ammo for the cannon and the gang happily blasts away at the new contacts.
Posted Image

With shots flying everywhere, only the temple suffers direct fire. Maria is set to aimed shots with the cannon while the rest of the gang targets a sneaky Hyperworm that has flanked us. Strangely it goes straight past us and heads for the same lift the Cultists used... As one badguy and the hyperworm flee downwards, the remaining fanatic dies and we hold fire to assess the damage. Not bad for a few seconds work!
Posted Image

We know where the bad guys are now but I don't want my only 5 troopers getting caught up in tunnel-fighting so we head south instead, towards where the hyperworm came from. Before the gang has even regrouped they're confronted by two more CoS SoBs and they lay into him with some rapid (non-explosive) close range fire.
Posted Image

Another Hyperworm is soon spotted in the same stretch of corridor and more Cultists continue to enter, bringing the total to 4 before we're able to start thinning them out. First one stupid fanatic and then a second walk right through the middle of the squad, happily giving their lives to protect our alien friends. Pff, yeah right!
Posted Image

We set up a defensive line back in the altar room hoping to draw the stupid fools to our concentrated fire over a short range. Soon enough, the first sacrifice arrived and was promptly filled full o' holes by the X-Comcutioners... A second followed shortly after and the Cultist deathcount increased again to an all-time high of 5-0!
Posted Image

The next enemy came from a different angle, using a new door created with AP cannon fire to hurl himself at the Commies from the North. Professionals don't discriminate so he's quickly added to the tally.
Posted Image

Immediately after the 7th kill another Cultist approaches from the more usual South and another panicking goon is spotted to the North. The trooper from the south is neatly dispatched but the cowardly panicker in the next room retreats again and we lose sight of him. The hiss of Hyperworms is constant now but we're yet to spot anymore.
Posted Image

Soon enough the panicked trooper returns to our hole in the wall and throws a grenade at the troopers who all shrug it off and shoot him in the face. Incapable of death though it seems, our foe panics again and disappears ocne again. He becomes visible again when we spot him fleeing but our attention is more urgently needed in the south where a popper has entered the corridor!
Posted Image

Some awesome automatic fire soon sees the popper explode prematurely and a large section of ceiling collapses in the corridor. Nice. The hissing sound is much closer now and the team is suddenly beset by 2 hyperworms from the north. The team quickly wipes them out but Maria takes the missions first injury now as a 3rd hyperworm bites her shiny metal ass. It's quickly eliminated for a loss of 7 health. Should've chosen a human target chump...
Posted Image

We stay in formation for a little while hoping some more enemies will come to us but no more appear... Rather than bothering with pesky doorways we decide to make some more destruction in the interlude. Jsut as we prepare to start blowing the place to pieces however, all the enemies flee. The mission is a success, though it could've been messier if I'm honest.
Posted Image
Welcome back to the wonderful world of Fan-fiction! (it's short for fantastic!)
Go check em out, UFO TFTD and Apocalypse all under one roof!!!

Also why not check out XCom : Colonisation over in the special projects forum. Won't kill you if you do, might kill you if you don't!

#22 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 06:53 PM

Next we pay a visit to the gravball stadium closest to the infested temple. It's a hit as predicted so the troopers get right back to the action!

This time the squad is deployed in the North East of what seems to be a tall narrow map. They have a commanding view of the surrounding room and spot a Chrysalis as soon as the game begins. Climbing the stairs with their safeties on they spot 3 of the things so it looks like we arrived just in time.
Posted Image

A Hyperworm is spotted under the stairs down but by the time the troops make it to the ground level it's long gone. They prepare to storm the room the worm has most likely fled to and see a Spitter in it's place. The hyperworm opens the door and messes around just long enough for the troops to kill it and then the doors close again mid-firefight, causing the Spitter to flee from view.
Posted Image

The troops storm the room in hot pursuit but spot 2 multiworms in the process. Leon takes a hit but the Spitter is soon down leaving the worms as the next logical target, only sniper Leonid has a line of fire though so he lays into the nearest immobile foe single-handedly.
Posted Image

Eventually it dies which seems to both unstick the worm behind it and release 2 offspring. Fire is quickly directed to the new threats, both of which die at the troopers feet but cause no damage. Fire is then turned to the remaining multiworm and it's inactivity lends it to target practice so the troopers change to aimed fire to save on ammo.
Posted Image

This time Maria helps Leonid out so it goes a lot faster but the process is interrupted when a spitter enters from the West. It's followed by another from the south and for some reason the Multiworm leaves when we switch target from it to the new spitters...
Posted Image

At this point, Maria switches to High Explosive rounds and I realise the reason the others aren't firing is because they're all out of ammo! The weaponless masses are given the nade order and some stunners are let loose. It lands short but knocks out one of the Spitters just as a Bloo enters the room!
Posted Image

A good shot from Maria's HE cannon takes out the Bloo and an unlucky civilian while a further stun grenade is tossed to the units hiding in the corner. The Multiworm somehow expires and 3 smaller creatures spring forth as a brainsucker hatches from the Bloo's corpse!
Posted Image

Not a good time to be out of ammo, a grenade is thrown into the new swarm of foes, taking care of one hyperworm and the brainsucker pod. The spitter flees somewhat and begins to panic while the 2 remaining hyperworms fall unconscious in the gascloud they were born into. The Spitter soon falls but sadly the mission isn't over yet...
Posted Image

As the team makes a complete mess of moving into the narrow basement corridor they notice a spitter just round the corner. The 2 snipers in the team go ahead to deal with it as those weapons have better ammo stores back home.
Posted Image

It soon starts panicking and despite lightly wounding Helga it falls quickly and the mission is over. Back to base for recuperation now and God knows everyone needs it!
Posted Image

Also why not check out XCom : Colonisation over in the special projects forum. Won't kill you if you do, might kill you if you don't!

#23 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 12:46 PM

Following a little R&R a host of research is now completed back at base, starting with the Anthropod study. Although I said this about the Multiworm previously, this really IS the final live specimen we have and it's replaced with an autopsy of one of the little pink sac things that BombBloke got his promotion from.
Posted Image

The Quantum-Physicists finally pull their fingers out now by completing research on the alien weapons system they were researching. It's dubbed a 'Light Disruptor Beam' and the eggheads suggest utilising it in an advanced security system at base but I decline. They read up on the newest UFO encountered instead.
Posted Image

Next to finish is the Chrysalis Autopsy which provides a fascinating glimpse into the alien life cycle and prompts further research into said life cycle...
Posted Image

The Alien vessel research is soon completed and it is designated as a Fast Attack Ship. Research moves onto the energy source used to propel the vessels while the other quantum-physisists continue to take their time with the 'raygun' research.
Posted Image

The autopsy of the pink sac-like aliens reveal them to be Multiworm Eggs and a vital part of the alien lifecycle. The Multiworm itself is autopsied next.
Posted Image

That research soon concludes and is similarly interesting, revealing that the Hyperworms Commies fear so much seem to incubate in the larger parent from hatching to death. The brainsucker is next on the slab but this is not finished as we soon recieve news of a UFO incursion.
Posted Image

It's exactly the same pattern as before, 2 scouts and a transport, all of which behave in the same way as before and hit the same targets. The 2 scouts escape as in the previous incursion and once again the transporter is downed without the opportunity to land any troops.

This leaves us 3 more missions as the scouts once again deposit aliens in the Lifetree Luxury apartments and the Gravball dome in the North. The first mission launched takes us to the apartments in the south.
Posted Image

And so here we are again at the Lifetree... Squad 3&4 are STILL incomplete because I've been unable to hire any new robots to replace the hybrids due to how badly the game mechanics for recruits suck! I've sent them anyway though as they still haven't caught up with Squads 1&2 plus I have no ammo to support more men than necessary anyway so I'm going to be going in with no guns blazing this time round.

The map is yet another smallish 4 level area so it shouldn't be a big one, the 2 squads stay close together knowing the only ammo we can spare is from the cannons. As all 8 troopers converge on the central crossroad of the map they spot their first opponent, a lone Spitter to the South.
Posted Image

As the troops assemble and lay down some carefully aimed fire, another Spitter and a Bloo appear. Stun grenades are the only thing we have in stock back at base so Jacqueline tosses one at the group to save her precious MG rounds. Another Spitter appears just as it finds it's target but noone goes down.
Posted Image

Finally the first Spitter sighted drops in the cloud, probably still alive, but the other 3 aliens flee to the south. The gang pursues them to the edge of the gas and Leonid tosses in a second Stun Grenade when he spots them again all huddled together. They flee from the gas once again and the Commies are unable to follow without risking their own consciousness. A brainsucker is spotter in a room to the west.
Posted Image

More aimed fire chases the alien horde along the corridor but none fall and soon the dreaded FullAuto must be engaged to tackle the approaching brainsucker. It's killed before launching an attack but has swallowed up precious bullets... The troopers follow up their kill by resuming fire on the remaining aliens and the Bloo and one remaining Spitter fall unconscious. The third Spitter is nowhere to be seen and I imagine another Bloo may well be present due to the recently deceased brainsucker...
Posted Image

Magic, the final Spitter falls unconscious seconds after it's comrades but is straight back up again. And now my worst fears are realised as a Multiworm appears... We can't spare ammo for that beast and it's offspring so it MUST be stunned! Everyone holds fire and lobs away! Damien, Leonid and Sigourney surround the aliens with 3 more grenades and as the waking Spitter attempts to flee, another arrives on the scene from the east!
Posted Image

The smoke conceals all foes from view, including the already stunned) but a Spitter that advances menacingly is soon overwhelmed by the gas and the Multiworm is finished off with some concentrated aimed fire just as the cloud disperses.
Posted Image

Squad 3 who have circled round to the East, now find another Spitter on the southern edge of the building and engage with aimed fire. They lay down some very accurate fire before finally scoring a kill in this mission of 'non-lethal combat'.
Posted Image

This signals the end of the mission but no promotions this time round. That leaves the UFO and the gravball stadium, again...
Posted Image

#24 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 12:57 PM

For once I send the troops home again before launchign the next mission and we collect the last of the sniper ammo along with 5 stun grapples to help save on grenades (as we're now out of those as well) Although the team IS fully equipped, this is the last time they will be. We've already stripped Squads 1&2 of all their sniper ammo and half of their MG clips too so we're pretty much running on empty now.

Anyway no time to feel sorry for oneself so we head off to the UFO next as it's the biggest mission we have left. The troops are soon deployed and we start near the North entrance again. Rather than wasting time and splitting up the troops by flanking around to the southern side I decide to set up all 8 troopers in the north this time. Cannons are made ready with incendiary rounds and all troops are ordered to hold fire. Soon enough the door opens and 2 spitters prepare themselves for a flambé.
Posted Image

The inside of the ship is soon a blazing inferno with one Spitter on fire. The second continues to fire on the troopers outside until a direct hit ignites him as well. A multiworn is spotted coming up the central elevator but the fire hasn't spread that far so it's possible they may now attempt to exit through the rear door...
Posted Image

The Spitter outside continues to advance but is soon finished off by further incendiary fire. His friend hesitates for a moment before returning to the door but the moment he opens it he is reignited and flees inside again. He dies just inside the doorway, and noone mourns his passing... A further lucky shot from the cannon boys has now set the lift on fire but the multiworm is no longer visible through the inferno.
Posted Image

Rather inexplicably, a Popper now makes it all the way through the flames to my troopers feet without the game pausing so the order to open fire is barely given in time. It erupts mere feet away from Squad 4 and injuries are heavy. Leonid and Damien work quickly to heal critical wounds while Sigourney is also badly injured.
Posted Image

When a Spitter emerges from the craft, one of the Cannons is still out of action so all 6 remaining healthy troopers open fire but they take careful aim before they do. It falls quickly but another is spotted inside the doorway. New flames replace the dwindling fires of old as it flees back inside.
Posted Image

It doesn't make it far as Squad 3 seal it's fate with well aimed shots. Squad 4 is now healed and ready to fight again so the line waits for the next target. They don't have to wait long as first a raygun is heard inside the craft and then the fires are extinguished with a smoke grenade. A Bloo is inside but inside he stays... We wait for literally minutes as the smoke dissipates and the fire spreads until finally he shows himself by the central elevator shaft.
Posted Image

Damien launches a few incendiary rounds into the craft and soon has the interior ablaze once again, sending the Bloo fleeing upwards. Or downwards maybe... He ran off anyway... As the fire spreads to cover the troops current positions they are forced to move nearer to the enemy craft and prepare for an assault on the Northern entrance, spotting a Multiworm in the process...

Some incendiary fire lights up the monster while the remainder of the squad keep their safeties on, ready for the hyperworm assault. Finally the firestorm subsides and 4 hyperworms are hatched amidst the inferno. The squad switches to automatic fire and prepares for the onslaught.
Posted Image

Of the four worms that emerged, somehow we kill 5 according to the message history, and my own eyes... Once again we give the fire and smoke some time to dissipate and then the two cannon wielding bots make a move inside the entrance for the first time ever!
Posted Image

Continuing their search of the previously unknown vessel they clear the entrance level and move into the lowere level where a vast menagerie is discovered!
Posted Image

They both toss one grenade each before beating a hasty retreat. If ever there was a call for widespread destruction and mayhem this is it! Immediately 2 Bloos die and a third falls unconscious while the remaining Multiworm and Bloo pursue their aggressors.
Posted Image

All remaining troops make a beeline for the elevator, hoping to catch the remaining aliens as they ascend, and the unconscious Bloo dies from bleeding. The remaining Bloo becomes visible through the elevator and is firing on the bots but is also panicking. We can't see the worm.
Posted Image

One AP round each from the bots finishes off the Bloo and now just the Multiworn remains. A host of Brainsuckers are given their marching orders now as 4 of them hatch from belowdecks and are picked off immediately as they attempt to escape. The troops can see the Multiworm but are ordered to hold fire so we can stun it and take some ammo home with us.
Posted Image

Danielle and Helga are sent down with Stun grapples to finish off the beast and after a few volleys the job is done. The mission doesn't end so they regroup in the entrance only to have the worm wake up again! They move back into position and stun it again, oddly this time the mission does end...
Posted Image

Not a bad mission given how careful I had to be with ammo but I took far more damage than I would've done with proper supplies and it took longer than any other mission I've played before!
Posted Image

On investigating the GravBall Stadium that I actually watched become infested this time round, absolutely nothing is found... Needless to say I'm not thanked for the intrusion but I did help them out last time so I think we're kind of even. On checking the organisation relations I actually find that the Sactuary Clinic is now neutral rather than unfriendly and the gravball guys are still not really bothered either way so whatever happened I'm doing good!

There are no more 'situations' I'm aware of so I'm going to leave it there for today. Except I'm actually not... As I just realised we're 6 hours away from the end of the week!!! A quick fast-forward later and the stats are in. We recieve a 10k funding increase to give us a new income of 95,625 a week. That's not even enough to replace a lost Valkyrie after all the bills are paid, what were these designers thinking???

About 95k funding and 40k gone right away! Nice... I have plenty to spend it on too as I'm desperate to get that toxigun research underway and the advanced lab has an 8 day construction time!
Posted Image

Some new items on the market (not that there will be any in stock mind you) with the MArsec minilauncher and powersword and a few Plasma craft weapons. Worth a punt if I can afford them. Which I probably can't...

Surprise surprise a check of the graphs show a slight rise at the gravball league again... How can I possibly arrive on the scene TOO fast to find the aliens? Seriously that's a joke! Everyone else is continuing to fall except for Lifetree who have a practically non-existant bump which is probably from the building I just cleared out. I'll ignore both of these for a while and see what comes of them.

Now with 48k to spend I need to prioritise... First I build an advanced lab in my new base 'Genesis' where ironically we will be researching how to end life as we know it. 20k later we get over to the inventory and absolutely clean out supplies of all the ammo I use. Along with a few sales from the mission at the Cult of Sirius temple and a full haul of grenades it costs us $2819, I can live with that...

Still relying on 2 hovercars and a Valkyrie to defeat shielded alien spaceships I wonder how this pitiful funding situation will ever allow me to progress on this front. I'm down to my last $25k and a Hawk Air Warrior gives ten bucks change from 100k!

I decide I'm stuck with sucky craft for another week and keep the remainder in reserve. We begin planning an attack on the Cult and hope to score some sales from the encounter. Failing that we hope to blow their temples to crap and kill as many of the SoBs as possible...

That's all for today, will post more soon!

#25 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 02:21 PM

Thanks to another awesome BombBloke tutorial, this update is brought to you by forum attachments!!! Got 4 missions and a UFO incursion to get through today but can fit it all into two posts so here goes!

Now remember I just spent about 3k on ammo for my MGs and Cannons and such? Well typically the alien raygun is researched the very same day so it is all now obsolete... The quantum-physisists call the new weapon a Disruptor as it uses the same technology as the ship based weapons already researched. They start work on the alien power source next.
Mission27_01.jpg

A check of the activity graph shows the gravball league, lifetree and worryingly the government all taking a small turn upwards but they all soon drop again. What with the league and lifetree recently visited I think they'll disappear in time and the government is off the chart again almost immediately. Transtellar is showing increased activity but not enough to cause concern so, as I can't think where the infestation might be, I decide to leave it

No sooner have we finished analysing recent reports however, Lifetree is proved anything but clear when an alert sounds in one of their schools! It's in the south and near the apartments so presumably they spread from there. Squads 1&2 are sent in with nothing but the new disruptor weaponry and a bunch of grenades. They hear worms on arrival but a quick search of the top floors show no alien activity on this small map.
Mission27_02.jpg

Squad2 spots the first enemy as they enter the basement and decide to use the defenceless Crysalis for some target practice. The techies want feedback on the new rayguns after all... A Brainsucker is spotted in the distance and it makes a beeline for the troopers.
Mission27_03.jpg

The brainsucker is popped after passing the Crysalis and that doesn't last much longer than it's chicken shaped friend. A Spitter that has appeared to the north now attracts a great deal of fire and falls relatively quickly while a Bloo is spotted down the corridor in the east.
Mission27_04.jpg

Before the mission ends a further 3 aliens appear in the shape of two Hyperworms and a Popper but all are swiftly dealt with and the Popper somehow remains intact for the labbies back home! As the Bloo becoems the last alien casualty, the mission ends. Easy.
Mission27_05.jpg

Now we know where the aliens have spread to in recent hours I can deduce that the nearby Transtellar building is also the cause of their problems so we attend and promptly discover a minor infestation. It's another small map and the troopers make a very quick sweep before locating and killing the only 2 aliens present. A pair of Hyperworms.
Mission28_01.jpg

It's funny really as the mission before this had 2 hyperworms as well and they generally come in fours...
Mission28_02.jpg

Another check of the activity graph shows Transtellar, Lifetree and the Gravball league all bumping around at very low levels so I decide to ignore the league for now so as to avoid annoying them more with an unwanted military presence...
Mission29_01.jpg

Happy with the levels of activity I fast-forward for a while and soon get a bit of action, UFO incursion style! Sadly as we're now in week 3 it's a new type of craft that looks like an upside down teardrop. 5 come through in all, 1 of the new craft in the south, a second in the East with a Fast Attack Ship in escort and 2 further Fast Attack Ships just north of the main X-Com warehouse. The craft avoid the escorts like the plague and attempt to catch up with the unprotected vessel in the south. Although they take little direct fire, the UFOs chasing the X-Com craft do a number on the roads!
Mission29_04.jpg

The Commies' target vessel once again returns to the Lifetree building to drop some troops but then retreats south again. Sadly the X-Com craft are unable to even break through the shields before it flees again and so return to base downtrodden but alive.
Mission29_02.jpg

The remaining 4 alien craft retreat to the Eastern portal but despite keeping a close watch over the other new ship-type I don't see it stop long enough to make a drop. It doesn't even pass directly over any buildings...
Mission29_03.jpg

Feeling more than ever that my funding just doesn't allow effective combating of the alien craft attacking the city I check the activity again to see a rise in Psyke activity but everything else down. I know there will be activity in Lifetree again soon but decide it can wait a little while as I don't want to get there too early again like I did at the gravball league!!!

Instead we arm up squads 3&4 to pay the Cult of Sirius a visit. They have 6 buildings and at least one of them is infested so we head off to check them out and stop in every single one. The first three are clear but the troops are getting bored of flying so they decide to hang around in the Temple of Humility for a while and raid the place instead...

Research on the Alien power source ends just before they launch the mission and it's replaced with a study of the control system.
Mission29_05.jpg

Back to the fun now, Squads 3&4 have been deliberately equipped with 4 autocannons firing High Explosive rounds. I really want these Cultists to feel the burn after we leave their place in ruins! The remaining 4 troopers are sporting the new rayguns so ammo for once is not an issue (though of course HE rounds do limit a finite number back home)

The map seems fairly small and turns out to be a simple 2x2 room configuration with only a simple basement system under some pretty large open spaces above. Squad 3 start out in the North East room while 4 begin to their south. Contact is soon made by both squads and the destruction commences!
Mission29_06.jpg

2 Cultists in the North soon fall to short range fire while the opening of doors in the south, and Squad4s position, allows their HE rounds to fire the whole length of the map (almost reaching their teammates a few times!)
Mission29_07.jpg

Squad 3 feel rather boxed in for the purpose of blasting stuff to pieces so they move through to the western room and spot a Cultist by an altar, no doubt praying for his life... Some nice explosions follow as the walls come tubling down around our badly dressed foe.
Mission29_08.jpg

#26 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 02:57 PM

The final count at the temple of Humility is a rather disappointing 6 killed with the remainder fleeing... Still, the loot will come in handy and later all the spare equipment we collected sells for $14,273!
Mission29_09.jpg

No rest for the wicked, we head straight for the next temple and manage to make it all the way to the last one before we find the alien presence. We start out with some light injuries from the last tussle with the Cultists but it's nothing that can't be handled and all 8 troops dive back into the action!

This time Squad3 begins in the SE while 4 are in the NW so the map is well divided. Squad3 sees the brunt of the action though as a cultist appears almost immediately and hurls a grenade at them. They have time to dodge it but sustain minor injuries before setting up to return fire.
Mission30_01.jpg

A second Cultist soon emerges from the same door as his friend but the Commies are laying down some serious fire by now and explosions soon rip several doors from their hinges. A third Cultist is spotted attempting to flank the troops from the basement below them now so Danielle turns to target him with some HE fire.
Mission30_02.jpg

The Commies primary target in the doorway now falls prey to an explosive round while another Cultist moves in to take his place and yet another emerges from the basement to their west!
Mission30_03.jpg

Soon there is another Cultist in the room taking the visible total to 5, but only briefly as the soldier on the stairs below them finally gets what's coming to him.
Mission30_04.jpg

Things continue to go absolutely crazy for Squad3 as 2 cultists are killed near the doorway and another appears by the western stairs, only to be promptly detonated with HE rounds. The fleeing soldier in the room to the West now disappears and only one enemy remains visible at close range.
Mission30_05.jpg

Finally we see what we came here for as a Bloo enters the room, shortly followed by a second.
Mission30_06.jpg

Squad4 have spent all this time up in the North West room with only one Cultist as a target who seems to be playing peekaboo with them. Tired of the game, they follow him to the eastern door but lose sight of him again. Even in the next room there is no sign of him but he's soon relocated by Squad3 to the South. An alien seems to die at this point but we don't know what, where or why...

Both are killed quickly and efficiently and the troops target a newly sighted Cultist who seems to have followed them in. He explodes spectacularly but not before seriously wounding Maria who takes cover behind fleshbag Helga. Helga recieves a similarly serious wound but both soldiers stay standing at least long enough to see their aggressor splattered across the wall.
Mission30_07.jpg

With their previous target eliminated, Squad4 continue to explore their new surroundings and soon spot a Multiworm in the room.
Mission30_08.jpg

The monster takes a few hits from the squad but then hides behind a curtain. A single HE shell destroys it's cover and also reveals a Bloo in the distance beside a deceased brainsucker (that's what the noise was then!) They lay into both targets and quickly eliminate them to reveal 4 new Hyperworms.
Mission30_09.jpg

HE rounds make mincemeat of the new offspring and Squad4 continues to clear the NE room before moving South to assist their colleagues. On the way they spot another Multiworm and engage it from a distance. Squad3 soon do the same and a second multiworm is spotted in the same location.
Mission30_10.jpg

Squad 4 chase the new targets as they flee down into the seating while Squad 3 slowly begin to clear the corridors beneath the building. They emerge in the North and take up positions by the elevators in the NW just as one of the multiworms emerges from them. Seriously low on health, Maria and Helga fallback while Jacqueline and Danielle open fire on the beast.
Mission30_11.jpg

Luckily the target attempts to flee so the troops are given some extra distance when the time comes to deal with 3 new hyperworms! All are promptly eliminated and the last multiworm is spotted at the base of the next elevator along. It soon tries its luck and enters the killing room!
Mission30_12.jpg

Some heavy fire from all four troopers soon see the last alien put in it's place and only 2 Hyperworms emerge making the mopup an easy job...
Mission30_13.jpg

Despite some nasty injuries for Maria and Helga we managed to once again wipe out the Cultists alien houseguests and pocketed some nice funding from the psiclones we found in the temple of Humility! No promotions again so I think we may have reached our limit based on the number of troops I'm employing...
Mission30_14.jpg

We've finally reached a perfect equilibrium with this mission so I'll no longer be referring to the various squads as rookies or vets. Both 1&2 squads and 3&4 have each faced 15 missions apiece!

After some working out I discover that Grigoriy Korkia, David and Sarah Pearce, Yuzo Shimaoka, Jurgen Berger, Shigeru Stewart and Michiko Yamazaki have been with us from the very start of the game which is quite an accomplishment!

I'm going to be sad now and figure out how many missions each trooper has flown, because I can... The playthrough will continue tomorrow most likely!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users