Map mod

Civi

Hmm not so sure about some of these mate. I've read your other post so I know this is a mod specifically tailored to suit you so hopefully it doesn't matter that I don't like some of them lol

The big no in my book is the UFOs and Alien Base components as I don't see any improvement in any of them. The exit teleport (whatever it's purpose) seems illogically located and in some cases completely impractical, right by the door in large scout! I think the design changes made to these maps are all unnecessary and the largest fault is the inclusion of multiple coloured floor tiles. Even the large scout has 3 purple tiles and 4 retro lava-lampy ones. This started off as a very simple alien craft with a very plain purpose and now it's turned into an inter-galactic party bus. Maybe it's the influence of too much MTV but I think these greys got pimped!

I really like your new 20x20 park but there are other generic pieces I'm not so keen on. The 2 barns in the farm set have a small tree and garden outside when they're likely used for storing tools and horses. The lower floor of the large barn is very practical but the top floor seems to resemble a shooting gallery or driving range. That would be a good excuse for it if not for the fact that there are still stairs onto the roof...

The Alien Base component I do like is the replacement for the labyrinth which is the alien garden but I can't help feel it's really just a bit of a cheat to get around what is in reality a tremendously challenging piece of terrain. If the XCom craft pictured is a Lightning it's the most hideous and pointless vehicle I've ever seen so I hope there's another explanation for it. The Skyranger is also a freaky looking vehicle now with pulse engines hull mounted (it's VTOL how can it take off vertically now?) It's too long and generally seems to be a massive compromise to provide a slight benefit to troops when leaving. Again it seems to be a cheeky way to avoid one of the difficulties war throws up from time to time.

I just finished watching a documentary on trench warfare and although they tried lots of sneaky ways to break the line way back then it always ended with 'going over the top'. Somet hings are unfortunately unavoidable, like taking the first step into hostile territory. You know you've got to do it some time so all you're doing is delaying it slightly!

Again sorry for the heavy piling on of criticism but as you said you like it and that's why you made it so what I think will certainly not affect your enjoyment of the game! Well done with the mod anyhow, you've clearly worked a lot on it!

Sheesh, don't go overboard with your criticism, dude. ;)

You make it sound as I randomly placed funky stuff all over the place without even knowing or caring what I did. That and your colorful language even could make me think you want to offend me. Wow, You really make me feel like a 10 year old on a rampage.

-Teleports: Those are included to give the aliens another exit in case the entry gets mined. They work and the Aliens cleverly use them for pop-up and hide attacks. Also this was made to make the UFOs resemble the one from the intro. Imo this is a clear improvement.

-The default UFOs are boringly grey and have illogical layouts in some places, it did my best to make them more interesting and consistent. Without going overboard. I could have easily made them into party-bus-like vehicles like you said, but that was not the idea.

-The farm houses: Oh, sorry for adding a garden to a farm area. And there I was thinking they grow that stuff there. Silly me.

-The other changes (farm) were made to add a REAL barn to the game and add some kind of alternative to the boring and dull farm house. It gets old to fight in the same house for one million times, so I made a new one. Duh. The "shooting gallery" is actually a balcony/hay stack area. Last thing I heard those hay thing is a big thing on farms. ;)

"Hideous and pointless?" Well thank you mister "Offense-in-ya-face". I playtested every change for a long time, the changes were made to give the soldiers more safety when embarking and about the VTOL comment: Ever heard of the Yak-38? Yep it actually had an engine (well actually 2) with a layout like that.

Really, if you just wanted to offend me and piss on my work, well, you succedded. If you call that criticism then you really shouldn't go out on the street, there are persons who would kick your ass for being that rude.

Anyway, if you don't like the mod, fine, go somewhere else and keep your offenses to your self.

Wow and you think my response was over-the-top? It's fine I get it, you can't take criticism (and yes that is what I call it) I stated several times in my response that I didn't mean to offend and acknowledged the fact that you've made it for yourself so ultimately it doesn't matter if anyone else likes it or not.

Point is though, you don't put up images of your work and then broadcast it to people if you aren't ready to receive negative comments along with the positives. Anyway I'm not going to turn this into a messy thread so I'll leave you to it and a word of advice to anyone else thinking about posting here:

Only be honest if you really love it, otherwise keep quiet or lie...

Before I go I will defend my statements...

You make it sound as I randomly placed funky stuff all over the place without even knowing or caring what I did. That and your colorful language even could make me think you want to offend me. Wow, You really make me feel like a 10 year old on a rampage.

Funny that as you make yourself sound like a 10 year old on a rampage... The only colourful language in my whole post was 'grey' and 'purple'. And I didn't say you randomly placed things I just said I don't see any marked improvement from the new items you have placed.

-Teleports: Those are included to give the aliens another exit in case the entry gets mined. They work and the Aliens cleverly use them for pop-up and hide attacks. Also this was made to make the UFOs resemble the one from the intro.

Nothing in the intro resembles the actual game. There is no Red Muton, none of the weapons are accurate, none of the craft are accurate and show me a holographic map of a city anywhere... Again I'm not telling you you're wrong or stupid to implement these teleports, just that I myself don't see much point.

-The default UFOs are boringly grey and have illogical layouts in some places, it did my best to make them more interesting and consistent.

I agree not all the layouts are optimal, the Abductor in specific has that funny pointless one-way bit. The fact that they are grey and boring though is part of the game though in my opinion. These aliens are sterile clones whose only joy comes from strangely coloured circles on sticks. They aren't interior designers and that's my point. It just seems strange that the large scout has 4 funky tiles in the engine room. They serve no purpose at all so what possible reasons would the aliens have to put them there? These craft are most-likely mass-produced like the aliens themselves, why make the construction process any more complicated than absolutely necessary?

-The farm houses: Oh, sorry for adding a garden to a farm area. And there I was thinking they grow that stuff there. Silly me.

My point was that outside a small toolshed and stable is a pretty weird place to have a miniature garden. They have plenty of land if they want to have a proper garden, you could create a whole 10x10 garden area if it's not too in your face. Having one lonely tree outside a dusty old shed is a bit wierd though. It just makes it look like you were on a mission to edit every single tile even if it didn't need it.

-The other changes (farm) were made to add a REAL barn to the game and add some kind of alternative to the boring and dull farm house. It gets old to fight in the same house for one million times, so I made a new one. Duh. The "shooting gallery" is actually a balcony/hay stack area. Last thing I heard those hay thing is a big thing on farms.

You call that a real barn? How on earth can it make more sense for the farmers to drag their haybales up a flight of stairs, through a narrow door and perch them precariously on a 'balcony'? The old barn had dozens of haybales stored downstairs with easy access. Farmers don't have balconies in their barns, find me one who does and I'll take it back... And furthermore I agree, it can get tedious to fight in the same few buildings all the time but that doesn't mean I want to fight in a nonsensical wonderland instead.

"Hideous and pointless?" Well thank you mister "Offense-in-ya-face". I playtested every change for a long time, the changes were made to give the soldiers more safety when embarking and about the VTOL comment: Ever heard of the Yak-38? Yep it actually had an engine (well actually 2) with a layout like that.

Ok firstly let me apologise, I realised after posting that this was the life-pod you mentioned for the avenger and not the lightning. Why you felt it unnecessary to point that out before getting carried away is beyond me but I figured it out so don't sweat. I still see no point to it in game-terms but like I said this is a mod for you so that doesn't matter. Maybe it's more realistic to have an escape method for the best troops earth has to offer and our only hope of salvation against an evil alien race come to reap what they have sown. Or maybe it's extra weight that slows down a vitally important spacecraft and prevents it leaving earths orbit to confront the threat on it's home planet. Who knows! And yes I have heard of the Yak-38, it looks nothing like your Skyranger. The Yak has 2 sidemounted air intakes which propel the craft both forwards and upwards in the same way as a Harrier. The Skyranger does not have this arrangement.

And now I'm done and I won't be back. You've clearly put a lot of work into this thing but your inability to take criticism, which I actually apologised for in advance several times, when sharing an idea with a group of people you don't know and have never met just smacks of naivity. If you don't want the criticism then don't share your ideas but if you aren't going to share your ideas why bother having them?!

Bah I'm done here, my response was honest criticism and yours was childish and defensive. I hope you enjoy your own company, might be a while before anyone else dares to talk to you about your work.