Best (Mainstream) Tunes of the '90s

Pete

Just been t'pub f'drink n' grub and had an interesting idea for a good topic.

Let's try and list good tunes we remember from the '90s - basically the song name, artist and why it's a firm favourite with you - preferably mainstream ones so there's a chance I might have a clue what you're on about.

If it takes off we'll try one for the '80s and one for newer music.

------

I'm going to start off with Catatonia's Road Rage - cracking tune, amazingly catchy and I'm convinced you can't find a tune more quintessentially Welsh that's not a Tom Jones number.

It also reminds me of playing Quake 2 non-stop for several weeks back in the day! :oh:

Oh, and by the way, it's a Bank Holiday here so it's a day off and I'm not therefore drinking on a school night >:]

Speaking of Catatonia, I used to abhor Cerys Matthews, the lead singer, back in the day. Now I find her rather attractive. It doesn't help that I listen to her dulcet tones every Sunday on BBC Six Music.

Slide Away, by Oasis. Virtually every tune I was listened to at the time had, or seemed to have, a connection with the girl I was in love with at the time.

It reminds me of rather nice evenings in my bedroom, kissing and generally being amorous, in the sort of golden sunlight you only seem to get in summer.

It will surprise no-one to know that in the end she was an evil, evil cow.

You do seem to attract them if recent events are anything to go by (not that she sounded particularly evil, but you did sound particularly peed off).

Deeper Underground by Jamiroquai - I think this one and the Catatonia one above were on repeat on my MiniDisc (remember them?) player for a loooong time!

Even without the extremely miserable association with Warchild, this isn't exactly an upper of a song, but it helped me cope (so did the whole album, OK Computer) at a particularly shitty time in my life when college was going pear-shaped and I really couldn't be arsed with anything. Listening to Radiohead had a cathartic effect and got rid of a lot of misery.

Even today, they cheer me up, no matter how sad the tune is.

• 10 months later...