2 questions about my 1st game

Matclane

Hi all

1) I started an allied campaign and my first battles take place in the Great Britain. My question is : i fight against german soliders... is that normal ? Ok, we know germans never been in England during WW2 so i guess there is an explaination, did i missed something about the story ?

2) When i have completed all the objectives on a battle map, i can only leave the area trought the menu (quit), and i can't leave by placing my charcaters on an exit zone, is that normal too ?

Thanks

Thanks a lot,

one more thing :

what happens if some characters dies during battle, are they really dead or just stunned and will i have to take them and quit the battle to "heal" them ?

Because in the first mission, i had to take a german alive and i tried to beat him with hands to avoid killing him with gun fires... did it was necessary or using guns would have been exactly the same ?

i glad to have this community to enjoy this game,

(FullAuto >>I will launch dropbox as soon as im retunring at home >:])

Your men can be knocked out (completely red health bar, can't be healed in battle), and you can carry them back to base and they'll be okay. Or they can be killed outright, in which case their health/status etc disappears and they're just a corpse.

When it comes to capturing people, you don't need to use fists. Shooting them 'a little bit' (so to speak) works just fine, so if you shoot them until they just fall over, then pick them up, that counts as a capture. Use rifle shots, short bursts, etc. However, giving them a long burst of machine gun fire point blank will be too much and will actually kill them.

1) Im wondering what is the real interest of the pistols ...? Im sure there is, but I don't know. Does it only save AP ?

I mean, if i have smg and rifles, why should i prefer to take a pistol as the 2nd weapon (except if it's silencedd of course) ? And the same question about knives..?

2) Another thing : are medics really useful ? Ive hired one of each class (medic, engineer...). Is that useful or should i take 2 snipers, 2 scout... What's your opinion about that ?

Pistols are actually a pretty good secondary weapon, mainly for people who only have AP-expensive primary weapons (snipers, machine gunners). They don't take up much space, are AP-cheap, and can be surprisingly deadly if you target the head. They don't compare to SMGs, for instance, but then an SMG takes up more space, costs more APs, etc. I typically use them when a sniper/machine gunner is surprised by an enemy at close range, and won't be able to kill him with 1-2 shots from his sniper rifle/his machine gun doesn't have enough ammo for a long burst.

I do find medics useful. Usually equipped with a rifle, they stay at long range, give supporting fire, and heal everyone. The best medical items you need a medic for, and any sort of serious wound needs serious treatment. I usually take one of each class, but you can compose your squad however you like!

1) When Im just in front of an enemy, please tell me what's generally better : using a gun (or a smg) or using a knive ?

2) In which circumstances or conditions should I better have to run on an enemy and stab him instead of shoting him ?

3) Which skill(s) is (are) the most important for using pistols ?

1) If you want to kill him silently, I'd say knives are better (the silenced pistols aren't very good for damage). I don't use knives as a first resort, but my scout, or whoever leads the way, has one handy.

2) If you want to kill him silently, without any nearby enemies hearing (they won't hear silenced weaponry, but they may hear and investigate your shots that miss the target and hit something else). You do have to calculate your APs carefully though, as more than once I have ran up behind an enemy, only to find I don't have enough APs to kill him. If you use the backstab mod, that also encourages knife usage.

3) There are dedicated pistol skills in the Ability trees, somewhere.

3) There are dedicated pistol skills in the Ability trees, somewhere.

Thanks, but I was talking about the caracteristics like shooting, healing, or close combat...? (actually im trying to translate them from my french version >:])

So wich one is good and useful for pistols ?

• 3 weeks later...
I have some difficulties to stay hidden near an enemy;

Detection checks depend on your character's 'hide' skill, the enemy's 'spot' skill, your character's pose and whether they are moving at the moment.

Train your 'hide' by hiding and unhiding untill it reaches it's current maximum (can't advance it any further)

You can also train your hide and spot together by selecting all of your squad and making them hide and run around some place back and forth (unclocking and cloaking again in the process).

You might want to keep in mind that 'hide' is:

- limited by your character's current level (just like any other skill)

- primarily guided by DEX attribute (spot is detemined by DEX and INT)

will it be better with hidding experience, or should i have to keep crawling when i send my scout around ?

If I remember correctly most abilities (using different weapons, hiding, throwing, etc.) have certain modifiers applied to them depending on the pose the character is in while performing those actions.

Some modifiers might be beneficial (+), some neutral and some might apply some kind of penalty (-)

Crouching and crawling is generally more preferable when attempting to stay undetected.

Very high 'hide' skill values mght make some characters virtually "invisible" (i.e. Shade in 'Sentinels' expansion)

But even 100+ is enough to pass most hide checks mostly due to the fact that the majority of the in-game enemies have low 'spot' values (with relatively low DEX and INT).

Hopefully this will clear some things up for you...

BlunterII

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello all,

I'm having what I believe is a related problem and found this thread via Google. Hope it's ok to add my question here!

Your men can be knocked out (completely red health bar, can't be healed in battle), and you can carry them back to base and they'll be okay. Or they can be killed outright, in which case their health/status etc disappears and they're just a corpse.

One of my guys was wounded early in the mission but he's still in my list of characters, with the completely red bar. The problem is that I can't find him. When I move the mouse pointer over his name, a little box with his name on it shows where he lost conscience but his body is nowhere to be seen. I noticed that enemies seem to disappear after a while. Is there a way to carry my guy even though I can't see him, or anything else I could try? I haven't finished the mission yet.