An old X-Com LP

chiasaur11

I think the most commendable thing is that you completed it. All of our past group X-Com campaigns have ended prematurely due to life getting in the way.

- NKF

Yeah, same with every LP type thing before it on the forum it was originally posted on. I guess somebody just had to be first.

Well, it was probably due to a total lack of scruples. I reloaded, blaster bombed, psi crushed, and generally did everything in my power to get the job done.

On the default difficulty.

I had a similar lack of shame once Terror From The Deep got going.

Although I think I reloaded slightly less, oddly.

Don't see why not.

TFTD is harder, so trying to play it with ironman rules (especially the hard-core ironman varieties) is a challenge. Even I can't do that. :) But just keep practising in UFO. A good place to start is to commit yourself to never save during a battle. Then you can try and work your way up to the point you can comfortably play a few superhuman missions the same way.

- NKF

Don't see why not.

TFTD is harder, so trying to play it with ironman rules (especially the hard-core ironman varieties) is a challenge. Even I can't do that. :) But just keep practising in UFO. A good place to start is to commit yourself to never save during a battle. Then you can try and work your way up to the point you can comfortably play a few superhuman missions the same way.

- NKF

Managed a few missions in a row on beginner without loading, casualty free.

So, practicing and suchlike, even if superhuman kicks my butt.

Very thoroughly.

So, should it go here, or in TFTD?

Take your pick. Might as well link to it here, in my view.

Performing missions unscathed isn't really the best way to gain experience. You know what they say, if you're winning, then you're not learning anything.

For example, winning too often tends to make players think they can spend all that money they've earned. When they suddenly need to replace a dropship + crew + equipment, they're left with no resources to do so. Having reserves is one of the keys to surviving on the higher difficulties, and only TPKs really drives that point home.

Likewise, there'll be times when you need to cobble a broken defensive line back into order, or get the remnants of your bleeding squad back to the evac zone (possibly even while dragging the other half of the team back with them).

Sure, avoiding such situations is a good thing, but knowing when to cut and run or stand and fight (as well as how to do those things) certainly has it's perks.

TFTD's difficulty curve makes retreats an essential tactic in certain circumstances. Aquatoids and Gillmen can be mopped up by pretty much any squad, but Tasoths and certainly Lobstermen require preparation before victory can be assured. In particular, attacks against alien bases can go very wrong if you don't bring some serious firepower onto the scene (read Disrupter Pulse Launchers, MC Disruptors, Thermal Shok Launchers and perhaps even Heavy Thermic Lances).

• 1 month later...

Haven't read more then the first several pages, but I noticed one poster stating that, during tactical land battles, damage to buildings and civilians does not penalise you. This is only a part-truth.

While you can certainly slaughter any amount of the "no-bodies" who run around the map like headless chickens (they turn up in the garbage disposal plants - you should visit some time and pay your respects), structural damage is not at all viewed favourably by the building's owners.

Certain buildings (such as Nutrivend's Hydrofarms) are prone to near total collapse if you put a few explosives in the right places. While the results are hilarious (the aliens literally fall to their deaths in the process, and when a Popper goes splat it explodes, and so more supports get damaged, and...), you can expect demands for reparations in short order.

Also note that attacks against any given company will result in diplomatic effects with their allies and enemies. If the Cult of Sirious manages to get some powerful allies, you may be in trouble (mostly due to lost supply lines). But this is true regardless of who is doing the attacking - for example, if you take direct control of your airships and have them "dodge" enemy fire, you'll quickly make allies of everyone your aggressors end up hitting instead.

Why spend good money on an airforce when you can "borrow" one off some other corporation?

Another thing to attempt (if eg you get bored) is the acquisition of some Mind Shields.