Anyone up for making a unit coloring mod for TFTD?

Azure

I have used (and enjoyed a LOT) Bomb Bloke's uniform mod for Xcom1...but there is apparently no equivalent for TFTD. This seems strange, as the garish yellow color for the Ion armors is absolutely hideous, IMO...

Any chance that someone (like say...Bomb Bloke :D ) could be convinced to do this? My eyes would be ever so happy not to be assaulted while playing :) It need not be as varied as the uniform mod for xcom - a simple shift to the colors used for aqua plastic armor would suffice (although other colors might be cool too...).

Crossing my fingers,

Azure

I used a "simple colour shift" with the previous game... The palette contains 16 shades of 16 colours (accounting for all 256 indexes available to the game), and each uniform only used shades of one of these colours. Therefore, it was trivial to change 'em - just add or subtract a multiple of 16 from each colour index.

With TFTD, at least the Ion Armor uses different shades of multiple colours. This means that in order to "bump them around" like I did before, I'd need to reduce the colour depth first. Which is a bad thing. Manually redrawing them would probably get better results, but that's no fun.

Anyway, it'll probably take me a while, but I'll give it a shot. Always wondered how those turtle shells would look together with green armour...

One brute force method of doing it would be to break down all the colours values down to their respective values of 0 - 15 and then just colourize the lot by adding the colour row of your choice and see how it goes. Perhaps ignore some values, like blue for the helmet bubbles.

Leviathan plate would be neat. It's bluey-silver and would blend a bit against open seabed.

edit:

I was just browsing the wiki for the pck format in case I get some free time, and don't seem to be able to locate the information. Guess it's tucked away somewhere. The search function's not forthcoming. Or not. Oh well. Created a space for some of them.

- NKF

Didn't notice your edit. It's under Image Formats. But I've already got most of the image coding done, just need to account for a few extra "special cases".

(Unfortunately most of the armor is still neon, and the reduced colour depth doesn't help either).

The boring/time consuming bit is getting the in-game uniform swapper to work with TFTD.

tftdrecol.jpg

Well, I found it :)

Thanks a heap, Bomb Bloke, I will install it and give it a try tonite...

Incidentally, it was actually my son that asked me to request the mod, as he is playing TFTD currently...he saw me using the mod for XCOM and was dismayed to find it wouldn't work for TFTD. So there are at least two guys who will enjoy your efforts :)

Thanks again

Azure