A bit of a challange

turb

I am planning to take another try with TFTD but this time I want more challenging task.

I wonder what do you think about my 'house rules'?

Last time I started on superhuman and done really well for few months but when I started to build M.C. Labs I thought that the rest will be too easy. That's beacause I finished the game once some years back (not on SH and I think that I done some reloading then) and felt that its too easy with M.C. Control, DPLs and ion armours.

My restrictions:

1. No realoading, except crashes (obvious)

2. No throwing underwater (key one)

3. No XP training, I first heard about it here, and didn't use it. Nothing new.

4. DPL w one waypoint only

5. No M.C. attacks, M.C. Labs ok,

6. No Sonic Reasearch until all Gauss related thing are discovered.

7. No grenade/medkit relay.

8. I am thinking about not using multiple nades thrown at one target, to add some realism ;)

9. Maybe some reasearch slowing, f.e. allowing only 50 scientists per base.

No modding, I like the game as it is. The one I could possibly think about

would be increasing TU cost of using Medi-kit maybe to 20 or so.

What do you thing? Artifact and Alien Colony missions could be a slaughter...

and aquanauts average service time would drop, but it seem to be achievable.

I am planning to take another try with TFTD but this time I want more challenging task.

Last time I started on superhuman and done really well for few months but when I started to build M.C. Labs I thought that the rest will be too easy. That's beacause I finished the game once some years back (not on SH and I think that I done some reloading then) and felt that its too easy with M.C. Control, DPLs and ion armours.

My restrictions:

1. No realoading, except crashes (obvious)

3. No XP training, I first heard about it here, and didn't use it. Nothing new.

8. I am thinking about not using multiple nades thrown at one target, to add some realism ;)

No modding, I like the game as it is. The one I could possibly think about

would be increasing TU cost of using Medi-kit maybe to 20 or so.

What do you thing? Artifact and Alien Colony missions could be a slaughter...

and aquanauts average service time would drop, but it seem to be achievable.

I'd say: no reloading, no DPLs at all and no MC. You can also read a lot of ideas about how to make the game harder here. The wiki article was written for the first game but many of the ideas can be applied to TFTD as well.

Good luck with it - there are any number of ways you can challenge yourself (and still win the game). The most important thing is to enjoy yourself doing it.

Limiting yourself to 50 scientists is not a bad idea. If you've played the game for a while and know exactly what you need right off, they can get through it reasonably well with selective research. Plus it keeps your bank balance a lot healthier too as you need less overall maintenance and salary. Quality, not quantity.

First time I played TFTD, I never even knew of the MC branch until my second play through the game. :) But it's not a bad idea to limit your MC usage. In fact, don't use the MC disrupter at all.

You don't have to deliberately EXP farm - it happens naturally if you let everyone have a go at some of the action. Just don't let a few key Aquanauts go out and hog all the glory - that's another form of experience farming and it leads to the danger of aquanaut attachment. That's not good in a no-reload game!

Using only one grenade at a time is reverting the UFO method of handling grenade - which isn't a bad thing.

Here's one suggestion I might recommend: The sonic pistol is a danged formidable sonic weapon as I often harp on about over at the wiki, but try playing a game where you only use sonic pistols from the sonic weapon family and just research and sell the rest. If anything, the ammo supply problems would add a nice new angle to the game. It'll be a Zrbite hunt. Or get drill happy. It's very hard to perform drill combat in open terrain battles.

With armor, without cutting yourself off from them entirely, try rationing your Ion Armor only to the most important units while most of the squad stick to Plastic Aqua Armor. Have only one or two Mag Ion Armor exist at a time and give them to snipers or scouts. From personal experience, I find this works very well in most games and it leaves you with a lot of left over resources you can allocate to your advanced sub production. Sure lots of your units will be ground pounders, but that offers its advantages as well.

By the way, if you're serious about the no reload policy, do always save before you launch the battle even if you don't plan to reload. Even if you do this already, I thought I'd best remind you. ;)

- NKF

Ah, a kindred spirit ;) I love mixing up stuff. Check out my thread here for related ideas.

its too easy with M.C. Control, DPLs and ion armours.

Definitely, those are the big game breakers.

I don't like this one, as it's completely removing a concept from the game rather then rebalancing it. I recommend looking into my rule of only using odd timers. Makes grenades way weaker. Can also disallow priming ahead of time, if a timer runs up you must drop the grenade on the ground.

Agree with this one, I went as far as disabling waypoints entirely and just making it a super torpedo launcher (for the aliens too, I hate being nuked at random out of nowhere).

Panic attacks aren't imbalanced, might want to allow those. If you feel they're still too strong, only allow them on aliens in sight.

I always do this anyway, I like Gauss :)

Agreed

8. I am thinking about not using multiple nades thrown at one target, to add some realism :)

With the above grenade rule, this one wouldn't be needed.

How about doubling the cost and upkeep of scientists instead? Your way, you just go up to 50 right away and then don't think about it anymore. You can double without any modding, just use a self imposed rule that you may only use half your scientists.