Chryssalid and psi

kai

It's been a while since I played X-COM so I don't have any old savegames.

Has anyone ever mind controlled a Chryssalidand tried to turn aliens in to zombies?

Does it work?

If it works then do the impregnated aliens remain under player control (Or does that give them more terror units to throw at you?)

And is it possible to do the same thing to another Chryssalid?

I think you can't use the chryssalid's attack when you mind control them due to how they've designed inherit melee attacks of most terror units. You can't attack with mind controlled reapers either. However, you can somehow endup owning a chrysalid if you read the info over here: https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=G...ombified_Agents

It's been a while since I played X-COM so I don't have any old savegames.

Has anyone ever mind controlled a Chryssalidand tried to turn aliens in to zombies?

Does it work?

If it works then do the impregnated aliens remain under player control (Or does that give them more terror units to throw at you?)

And is it possible to do the same thing to another Chryssalid?

The answer, in short, is no, because alien melee attacks are not available to the player.

The answer to the question that's probably now on the tip of your tongue is that aliens don't turn into zombies if you mind-control them and walk them up to a non-mind-controlled Chryssalid. They just die. Including other Chryssalids.

• 2 months later...

In UFO there is the option of using the inventory bug to cycle to a mind controlled chryssalid's equipment space and arm it with something. This can't be done in TFTD.

There is also the rare occasion where a zombified unit will not drop its weapons, so you get to see it fire laser beams out of its mouth (or the chryssalid's gleaming teeth). ;) Well, no actually it just doesn't have weapon visible in its hand - and the general location the bullet leaves is roughly around chest height. I'm guessing a similar case could happen in TFTD.

But really they excel at scouting mainly rather than fighting.

- NKF

Happens when a Chryss attacks someone but fails to kill them before the turn ends.

The trooper turns into a zombie anyway (so don't hold your breath when a Chryss attacks, hoping for a lucky survival), but if the unit didn't take lethal damage he'll wind up still holding his old guns.

Happens when a Chryss attacks someone but fails to kill them before the turn ends.

The trooper turns into a zombie anyway (so don't hold your breath when a Chryss attacks, hoping for a lucky survival), but if the unit didn't take lethal damage he'll wind up still holding his old guns.

If I'm correct though even if a Chryssalid is armed it can only shoot via reaction fire but that was certainly something not expected when I first saw it.

"OI!! That's not fair!!"

As if anything about the way the aliens fight in that game can be considered "Fair" ;)

Yes, that's right - there's probably something about their special melee coding that prevents them from using guns in the normal way (same as it messes with their movement patterns - regular aliens don't try to get into melee range).

Since you can't use melee for reaction fire, that code didn't override the conventional reactions process.

Something similar happens if you add a tank turret to one of your own units. The tank turret commands override the hand commands, so you can't manually access them. Reaction fire may work, but I've never tested.

- NKF