[Help] me understand the different versions available

JerikTelorian

Hello folks,

I have the original DOS version, have been playing it with Dosbox and XComUtil. Everything was peachy. However, I'm getting some graphics corruption issues of late, and the machine comes down whenever the game crashes (this is on the battlescape). I find it particularly annoying, and was thinking of getting the newer version from steam/gamersgate to help resolve the issue.

Furthermore, I'd really, really, really like to use Seb's UFOLoader, which I understand to only work with the Collector's Edition.

The prices on the CE at EBay and Amazon constitute robbery and should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. So, those are a no-go.

My question is: What version is the Steam/GamersGate download? Are those the DOS version, or CE? Help here would be appreciated. If you're feeling particularly helpful, I'd like to know which is easier to get UFOLoader or XComUtil to work with, as that will influence my decision.

Thanks much!

The CE executable comes bundled with the Steam download so no worries there (has both the DOS and Windows versions). It's in the C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\xcom ufo defense\XCOM folder aptly named UFO Defense.exe. :P

- Zombie

Ten minute response time. Better than my local police.

Ain't that the truth? Thanks so much Zombie!

Now I just need to tussle with it to get it working in Windows 7. I recall seeing an app somewhere that forces it into windowed mode...

EDIT: Fullauto, that is an awesome avatar, by the way.

EDIT2: Oh god, the music. I can listen to the Geoscape music anywhere now! This will ruin me.

Ain't that the truth? Thanks so much Zombie!

Now I just need to tussle with it to get it working in Windows 7. I recall seeing an app somewhere that forces it into windowed mode...

EDIT: Fullauto, that is an awesome avatar, by the way.

EDIT2: Oh god, the music. I can listen to the Geoscape music anywhere now! This will ruin me.

Hey I am running win7 and have no problem with it.

I have found that tabbing out and in of the game make the game window small. Else look here for some info on how to do it:

https://forums.steampowered.com/forums/show...ad.php?t=724550

Have not tried installing X-COM Util, dont know why I should?

But here is a thread where they are talking about how to make it work. Hope it will do the trick.

https://forums.steampowered.com/forums/show...ad.php?t=722880