Psi Lab Strategy

Yxklyx

This is what I've settled on for Psi training. I go straight for Psi Labs ASAP and this can be done with a Deep One Terrorist. As soon as I can, I build one and later a second lab in my original base.

I also build one in each of my main listening/intercept bases. These secondary bases get a Living Quarters and I hire 10 men before the month ends. These 10 then train during the next month but before the month ends I hire another 10 men and these new men will train next, repeating the process each month. Of the 10 men that just finished training, if they have high strength (p or P when using xcomutil) I transfer them to my main base. These men will now be part of the squad I use for missions in which I'm going against Psi-Attackers. Those with low strength I keep until right before the month ends and then I sack them. I might transfer some of these to my main base for use in non Psi-Attacker missions.

If I'm going against non Psi-Attackers I send out my low strength men so as to not risk my high strength men. It's important of course to get Transmission Resolvers built ASAP.

A similar thing happens at my main base but some of my low psi men get some good stat gains - I use them only in missions where there's no chance they'll be controlled. These men are not sacked. I also select a few (~3-5) men for continued Psi training - these will be used for mind control attacks of course.

To get the Disrupter I make a quick raid of a colony to capture a Tasoth. Just capture him and abort. I send out my Psi experts as often as possible since they gain skill by using it in missions.

If I'm going against non Psi-Attackers I send out my low strength men so as to not risk my high strength men. It's important of course to get Transmission Resolvers built ASAP.

A similar thing happens at my main base but some of my low psi men get some good stat gains - I use them only in missions where there's no chance they'll be controlled. These men are not sacked. I also select a few (~3-5) men for continued Psi training - these will be used for mind control attacks of course.

To get the Disrupter I make a quick raid of a colony to capture a Tasoth. Just capture him and abort. I send out my Psi experts as often as possible since they gain skill by using it in missions.

I wouldn't be too eager to keep high psi troops back at base. Send them along as rear commanders with a M.C. Disruptor. Even though they may not have psi skills which are high enough to control or panic, you can still use these attacks to give experience. If the psi troops get enough attacks in (doesn't matter if they are successful) they will get an increase in psi skill at the end of the mission. Run a few training missions like this, and watch those psi stats soar! :laugh:

- Zombie

I would highly recommend getting a M.C. Reader in stores as well before researching the M.C.-Lab. First time I ever played the game, I never even knew such as thing as the M.C. Disrupter or MC Generator even existed until my second play through. What had happened was that I'd encountered the MC Reader bug where it cuts off the whole MC tree if you did not have one in stores when the lab research was done.

I tend to just sieve my psi/MC stats at a psi academy by having twice as many soldiers at the base than lab slots. One lot screened, then removed and a new lot steps in. Those in the first lot that don't pass muster get to go home, then the rest get reassigned. New recruits are hired to replace the gaps. Then I repeat as necessary every month. I don't leave the ones that have good stats assigned to a lab as all the training can be done through actual combat. Up to 100 - anything beyond that will need the lab.

As Zombie mentions, even failed attempts can make your stats soar. 11 failed attempts appears to be the magic number to aim for every mission. A successful attempt is worth 3 time a failed attempt, so you can perform less attacks for maximum stat boosting benefit. Best part is that it works like firing accuracy and reaction in that it can also raises your secondary stats like Health, TUs, energy, and strength.

- NKF

I don't leave the ones that have good stats assigned to a lab as all the training can be done through actual combat. Up to 100 - anything beyond that will need the lab.

True, but I usually keep my high psi strength men in the Psi Lab anyway. If you can't produce enough M.C. Disruptors to give to all your troops (or can't get them on enough missions) it's good to get that little boost at the end of the month to supplement combat training. Besides, I consider it a bug that you can train MC abilities even though a soldier is no longer receiving input from the lab. :laugh:

- Zombie