Game Data

Pumpkinhead

Any soldiers that died during the takeover are accounted for. This leads me to believe that surrendered soldiers aren't just murdered with the shut down of the base. Perhaps they're taken prisoner, but you never get to see them again.

Maybe the soldiers stationed at your base just escape from the alien infested compound and run away. After all, your soldiers know the ins and outs of the base pretty well - they live there! There also could be hidden passageways leading to the surface. After they escape, the soldiers tear off their armor and/or fatigues and steal a pair of Farmer Brown's coveralls hanging on a clothesline outside to dry. Then they simply "disappear" back into the general population, never to be heard from again! :(

NKF Posted: Jul 29 2004, 04:25 AM

You don't lose points though. I watched the area activity scores and there was no dip in the area I was covering. Still ended the month on a very good note - sans my new outpost. 

No, I didn't mean the area activity score would show the drop. I was meaning the end of the month score. I was assuming that this drop would be transparent to the player at the time, only getting factored in at the end of the month. It is possible that the game just decides that bygones are bygones and never assess a penalty for losing a base! :P

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, we have all seen the end of mission debriefing screen showing the points lost or gained by doing various things during a mission. More importantly, the screen also shows your overall points for the mission as well as a ranking (Terrible, Poor, OK, Good or Excellent). Did you ever wonder what is the range for each ranking? I did! So I spent some time testing this out. Here are my results:

Terrible: -∞ (negative infinity) to -200

Poor: -199 to 0

OK: +1 to +200

Good: +201 to +500

Excellent: +501 to +∞ (positive infinity)

This test was done on beginner diffulty during a Terror mission. Higher diffulty levels will probably result in the same numbers and ranking because of the way scoring is tabulated.

End of month ranking is very difficult to determine. Since a lot can happen during a month, getting a score on or very near a certain cutoff number (say -200 or -199) depends more on dumb luck than anything else. Here is everyones homework: please write down those end of month scores and ranking for the difficulty level you are playing at. Then post them here when you have a good sampling. If enough results are posted, the range for each rank could be found by arranging the data from everyone! Unless of course, someone knows the range for each rank on the different difficulty levels! :P

I'd like to point out that the outcome of a bad month can sometimes be a little random from try to try. So if you get shut down in one instance, you can try and salvage the game by reloading just before the end of the month and ending the month again and again. You'd probably be better off starting fresh, but it's still a possibility. This may even extend to countries that choose to withdraw funds.

I haven't advertised this here yet because I couldn't find any apropriate threads to toss it in: But if anyone wants to test smoke grenades in any way whatsoever, I've patched together an unusual but mostly adequate test savegame for you to work with.

https://www.geocities.com/nkfarma/fun/testgames.html

My findings are: Yes, smoke grenades are indeed useful (I've always known this - it's just convincing others that tends to be rather tricky). I also found that smoke grenades offer the best screening effect during the first few turns after detonation ( 2 - 3 turns). After that, the smoke clouds become less effective. A larger cloud is no good if the smoke has thinned too much. The longer you wait, the further you have to move away to be hidden.

Coincidentally: This test game also completely tossed my theory that only snapshots are used during reaction shots and that the AI uses autoshots when it's 4 tiles away from you. Well, it's still true for player controlled units (you can only use snaps for reactions). I gave the sectoid a laser pistol and it was using autoshots from any visible distance and it was using autoshot for reaction shots. I think the chance of an AI unit using an autoshot and its firing distance may be partially influenced by the abilities of the held gun. My findings with the laser pistol on a sectoid completely contradicts the tests I had with a floater and its heavy plasma. But never mind that. When you think you've finally figured it out, the game goes and surprises you. Oh well. :P

- NKF

P. S: The smoke grenade test savegame is a bit unusual . You'll never see anything like it in the natural course of the game. So don't be alarmed. Everyone is practically indestructable and the sectoid cannot move. Not to mention the weird growth of wheat on top of the medium scout. :( This was designed specifically for testing the capabilities of the smoke grenade.

P. P. S: I mean its primary use. Not its secondary use of stunning a wounded enemy. :( Now I return you back to the original topic of discussion. I'm off to hunt for a superhuman ethereal commander for some other mad test.

P. P. P. S: Don't walk on the flowers. They're worth 1 extra TU per step.

I'd like to point out that the outcome of a bad month can sometimes be a little random from try to try. So if you get shut down in one instance, you can try and salvage the game by reloading just before the end of the month and ending the month again and again. You'd probably be better off starting fresh, but it's still a possibility. This may even extend to countries that choose to withdraw funds.

Outcomes of a month can change from try to try. It depends on how far back in the month you saved the game and how hellbent the aliens are for getting more points.

The only way that I can explain the differences is by looking at how many points an alien scores for their actions (from the OSG). Table 1-7 on pg 15 lists this data, but the most important values are these:

Each UFO that flies over the Earth: 1 point

Each UFO that lands: 2 points

A harvest mission is performed successfully: 30 points

An abduction is performed successfully: 50 points

Just because the month looks the same from the surface, it does not mean that the month is exactly the same at the end. An undetected UFO that flies over Earth at the far end of the globe (or past your detection radius) will net the aliens 1 point. 2 points are awarded for a landing (detected or undetected). A complex mission (like a harvest or abduction mission) could net the aliens more points than listed:

A harvest craft flies over Earth: +1 point

The harvest craft lands: + 2 extra points

The harvest craft performs its mission: + 30 points

For a grand total of +33 points for the mission.

It is rogue UFO's which slip past your detection net that change the outcome of a month, not pure randomness in score determination. :(

------------

Not being a fan of using smoke grenades, I decided to download your game. It is never too late to learn, right? Just for giggles, I downloaded the other experimental games also: tanks, bombs (grenades), and chrystest (Zombies). I always enjoy playing new and different games in X-COM. Thanks, NKF! I will give it a go! :P

Well, it's not the total points at the end of the month, I mean. Just the outcome. I had a very mild loss in points. -100 or less, at least. About a day or so before the end of the month, I saved. Then X-Com got shut down. I'd done badly the previous month as well, so it wasn't a surprise.

But then I reloaded and tried again. This time nothing happened and I kept going. Then my base gets wiped out by an unstoppable force. You can't do much against cyberdiscs with pistols. :P

Then I tried again. Shut down. Again, this time my funds were reduced for my poor performance.

I suppose if it's a very light loss, it could be anything.

But no matter. Here's a puzzler I had a few years ago:

I once started a new game and breezed through the month without doing a single thing just to see how far I could go like that. No research, no interception, absolutely nothing. Didn't pick anything up either. First month ended, got scolded by the UN as usual for the poor performance. I proceeded on as usual. Then when February ended, I had a positive score. I'm not sure what it was. Probably 12 points, or some other multiple of 2.

So there can be months where not a single alien vessel appears. But where did the positive points come from? It's rather baffling.

- NKF

I'm assuming here that you are playing on Superhuman difficulty, right? In any case, the OSG lists the score necessary for shutting down X-COM.

Beginner: -900

Experienced: -800

Veteran: -700

Genuis: -600

Superhuman: -500

According to the OSG, project X-COM should be shut down if you have 2 consecutive months with -500 points. One month with at least -500 points is only part of the equation. The second month had -100 points you say, and X-COM was still shut down!?! Either:

1) you are wrong about the points (does not seem to be the case here :( ), or

2) the OSG is partially wrong about scoring, or

3) the game scores the way you describe.

Maybe when you finish a month in bad standing, the project is put on probation. If you do not improve siginificantly in the next month, the game could say "You were warned! Even though you are not exactly in bad standing this month, you are just bad enough to warrant a thorough investigation of your practices." Then the game randomly imposes a penalty: it could be nothing, or the countries could reduce funding, or the project is cancelled altogether. Like you said: "A light loss could be anything." :P

NKF Posted on Aug 10 2004, 07:44 AM

But no matter. Here's a puzzler I had a few years ago:

I once started a new game and breezed through the month without doing a single thing just to see how far I could go like that. No research, no interception, absolutely nothing. Didn't pick anything up either. First month ended, got scolded by the UN as usual for the poor performance. I proceeded on as usual. Then when February ended, I had a positive score. I'm not sure what it was. Probably 12 points, or some other multiple of 2.

So there can be months where not a single alien vessel appears. But where did the positive points come from? It's rather baffling.

Ummm. This is a puzzler you had a few years ago? Is it possible you forgot the specifics of the matter? After all, it was at least a year in the past! :( Are you absolutely positive that you did nothing? Didn't hire soldiers, build any base facilities, or attempt to shoot down a UFO? Even sending out a ship to intercept a UFO without shooting it down could result in a small positive score. If the aliens get points for flying around, why can't X-COM get some points for doing the same thing!

Researching Laser Weapons nets you 10 points. Flying around could net you a couple more. Maybe this is the +12 points, but I am only grasping at straws here. It could be possible that you did nothing, and maybe a couple of countries had an increase in funding which might net you some points. Who knows. With a score that low the points could even be random! :(

• 2 months later...

Hey Pumpkinhead,

I've only just dusted off my XCOM UFO for the PSX and started to play it again. And I have to say I've been finding your guide extremely useful. I think you should add more info into it (flesh it out a bit more) and get it printed (nothing better to have a book in your hand rather than an electronic one). How 'bout it, get it printed once you've finished it?

No Pumpkin,

I mean getting your USG oficially published and printed ie. into a hardcopy hold-it in your hands, real life, physical, read it as you go, on the train or on the plane BOOK! I'm sure it will be a hit amongst the X-COM fraternity. I would definitely buy one. I think you've put in alot of good work into it already and it looks v professional to boot. So, how's about it?

• 3 weeks later...

Today I finally found out how many Time Units a psionic attack requires for the aliens that have this power. This was a question that plagued me since I first starting playing X-COM. That, and how many Time Units a HTH attack from a Chryssalid, Silacoid, Reaper or Zombie require. (I found out it takes 14 TU for 1 HTH attack from those aliens a while back in this thread).

So what I did was shoot down a Sectoid Supply Ship. Since there is always one Sectoid Leader on a Supply Ship, I only had to cope with one psi-capable alien. Now I sent my Psi-squad to the crash site, and brought along a couple of psi-weaklings so hopefully the leader would concentrate his efforts on these soldiers. To keep the morale of the leader at 100, I mind-controlled all the other aliens and corralled them in a farm building with one of my best psi-soldiers blocking the exit. I found the Sectoid Leader upstairs, right outside of the bridge, and took away his weapons. Then I mind-controlled him for 3 rounds until all his stats returned to maximum. Now, let the fun begin!

I blockaded the Sectoid Leader in the Supply Ship and kept an eye on him with a few of my soldiers. When it was the aliens turn, I attempted to account for all of his movements and how many times he used a psi-attack. After his round, I mind-probed him to find out how many TU's he had left. Since a Sectoid Leader has 54 TU on beginner, I subtracted his movements and any time units left-over from 54. So this Leader used his psi-attack twice, moved around a little bit (10 TU total), and had no TU left-over after the round. Therefore, 54-10 = 44 TU for two psionic attacks. 44/2 = 22 Time Units for one attack!

Now, I was pretty careful in determining the Leaders movements during his round, but there may have been 2 or even 4 TU that I couldn't account for. If that is the case, then a psionic attack may require as little as 20 TU. I am almost 99% sure on this one though, so just assume all Psionic Attacks require 22 Time Units. What this means is that Sectoids can only use their psi-skills twice per round, and Ethereals can attack 3 times per round regardless of the skill level you are playing on! :P

Unfortunately, you rarely see the alien turning about during alien movement (unless you're getting off a reaction shot), and the aliens do turn a lot! (First thing I noticed when I removed all the energy from an alien I was running some tests on - it kept using up most of its TUs to look about)

- NKF

Right now, my computer version of X-COM is dedicated strictly for the damage modifier tests which I am working on. (I do not want to use a game editor to "root" a Sectoid to one spot because that might inadvertantly change the Sectopod results). So all of my testing for the time being is done on my PlayStation.

I ran some more tests with that Sectoid today. I gave my three lowest psionic soldiers (18, 20 and 23 for Psionic Strength and all in the 30's for skill) a Psi-Amp. Then I brought them up to the corralled Sectoid Leader and watched what the Leader did, and how many psi-attacks were launched against my troops. I was able to account for all the Sectoid's movement including 2 psi-attacks per average round. The extra psi-attacks only happened when the Sectoid gained control of one of my soldiers holding the Psi-Amps. So it does indeed appear that aliens will use a MC'd soldiers Psi-Amp and try to launch extra psi-attacks that way!

That stupid alien probably never checked the Psionic capability of my soldiers carrying the Psi-Amp though. Because of their terrible Psionic Strength and low Psionic Skill, a successful counter-psi-attack was next to impossible! :P

I guess the computer just adds the new unit to the unit stack, and treats it as a normal alien. If that's the case, then it would also seem the aliens have built in psi amps. And if THAT's the case, then it may well be possible to give that trait to other aliens...

Well, the computer may treat a MC'd soldier as an alien, but it doesn't necessarily mean that it treats psionic attacks in the same manner. My suspicion is that the alien AI has to use a Psi-Amp to launch a psi-attack with an X-COM soldier. Why? When I was doing my tests, the psionically weak soldiers that didn't have a Psi-Amp never waged psi-attacks when mind controlled. Only when I gave a soldier a Psi-Amp, was he able to wage psionic warfare when mind controlled. This makes sense because normal MC'd soldiers never use psionic attacks!

The aliens probably do have some sort of built-in Psi-Amp. But X-COM units are unable to access this trait directly when you MC an alien. You have to physically place a Psi-Amp in an aliens hand in order to use their psi ability. That's just life! :P

I should probably note that in order for an alien to use the Psi-Amp, it has to have more than 0 for Psionic Skill. Therefore, the only aliens that can successfully use one are the Sectoid Leader, Sectoid Commander, Ethereal Soldier, Ethereal Leader and Ethereal Commander. I just gave a Psi-Amp to a Sectoid Soldier to see if he could use it. Nope. The only option listed was to throw.

Now it would be an interesting test if you would modify the Psionic Skill of a non-psi alien to more than 0, then watch what happens. Would be nice to know if psi ability is inherent to all aliens (that is to say the psi attacks are built-in) or they are an add-on feature only on the aliens with more than 0 for psi skill. It's anyones guess whether or not this is true. I'll go out on a limb and say psi is an add-on feature. :P

I swapped aliens and x-com once in a battle with no psiamps. It was in May '99, I believe. I was having some of the x-com troopers trying to MC the aliens that were under my control even though they had not had psi strength revealed and apparently no skill.

P.S. Do you suppose than X-com units start with a rather small amount of skill at the beginning?

P.S. Do you suppose than X-com units start with a rather small amount of skill at the beginning?

To find out the answer to this question, we have to look to the Psionic Training screen at the end of a month. Make sure that there is a Psi-Lab built at your base as well as one soldier who hasn't undergone any psi-training yet. When the Psionic Training screen comes up at the end of the month it should look something like this:

Well, you always start the game with 0 psi skill. Strength is randomised.

Besides, the game always hides your psi strength while psi-skill is 0.

You'll notice this with the aliens as well when you probe them or look at their stat screen while under mind control.

All aliens with no psi-skill won't have their psi-strength displayed. All aliens that do have psi-skill, will have it displayed. This doesn't mean that they don't have psi-strength. It's just hidden from the player with the same mechanism that hides your psi-strength stats. .

- NKF