What's next in the series?

Woot

So I've just finished Afterlight this evening, and while it's definitely polished, I've got to say the flavor is a little different than AM or AS.

So, sitting around and thinking about fighting all these various alien factions, it occurs to me that what would be really neat would be a UFO: Tactics sort of game. Imagine leading a band of Beastmen against some Starghosts, or having a fully-equipped team from the Laputa take on some soldiers from Aftermath.

At the risk of provoking a fun discussion, I'd rank the ability of each faction as follows, in decreasing toughness:

1) Laputans

2) Aftermath soldiers

3) Aftermath Reticulans

4) Starghosts

5) Afterlight colonists

6) Beastmen

7) Wargots

8) Cultists

9) Martians

10) Aftermath Transgenants

11) Aftershock Transgenants

12) Afterlight Reticulans

13) Aftershock Reticulans

What do you think?

• 1 month later...
well i think the next game in the series should be based around transport vechiles., and by that i mean, you have a jeep or something filled with your squad including a driver and some guners, who operate the vechile and its machine guns, and you cruise around enlarged tactical maps, shooting everything up and then storm a skyscraper on foot. Could have the vechiles upgradable too, and change to better vechiles later on such as jeep > truck > tank > Hovertank > Gunship. Would be fun.

• 1 month later...

Were the Aftermath soldiers really that good? I never played Aftermath, only Aftershock and Afterlight. I may have to get aftermath to see how that game stacks up to the other two.

I also would like to see those transport vehicles, and some tanks that your soldiers can drive and maybe some air support which is strangely lacking in all 3 games. Thats what I loved about X-com because you had flying battlesuits so the battles became 3 dimensional.

Another thing I would like to see is a little better done research system. The current system is very confusing and while it preserves the mystery of what you can get, it gets very confusing which research does what. A little more explaination each time you research something would help, as well as a clear indication as to what that research brought you. A possible outcome description would be neat too on some of the research text to help you make better decisions.

The personnel system needs to be rethought out. In the two UFO games I've played, losing players can be total game breakers. I liked X-com's expendable soldiers. I like to fight through losses instead of having to win every battle. A better system of recruitment could be developed, or a way to compensate for lost soldiers.

• 1 month later...