Elerium 2

justchris

Ok i started to play a new game of UFO, and its going good, apart from one thing...elerium. i Have 5 and thats after 6 months of playing the game(in game time) ive tried waiting until the ufo lands and stuff but for some reason it doesnt give me elerium at the end of the mission, and ive also taken out a base, but this is really getting annoying as i am unable to build and fly the advanced craft or the advanced armours...anyone know why this is???

There's no need to restart. It's just elerium, not a fatal game bug. ;)

How aggressive have you been around the UFO's power unit? That's where the elerium is stored (it's a small purple module right at the base of the power unit). If you've got a heavy plasma, shoot the power unit (don't worry, it won't explode) and have a soldier step on top of it and check your inventory. See the yellow-orange crystals? That's worth 50 elerium. It gets destroyed very easily if there are any explosions set off near it.

Make sure it survives till the end of the mission. Normally, you won't need to destroy the power unit for this. Just keep explosives (stun explosions are okay) well away from the power units and you'll do fine.

There are two good tricks to secure elerium:

1. Steal the elerium. Just shoot open the power units, grab the elerium and run back to the Skyranger/exit pads and evacuate. This won't net you a lot of points, but it will guarantee some elerium.

2. See those alien bases? See the supply ships that drop by all the time? Each one has 3 elerium pods in it (or a total of 150 elerium). Launch and assault the supply ships. After a while, you'll never have to worry about elerium shortages again. :)

- NKF

I found that if you were lucky enough to get a floater base in the arctic, you'd end up with more elerium then you ever wanted. Missions there are more often then not in the day, and floaters do tend to be cannon fodder.

If you find an alien base nearby that has an alien type you prefer to beat down, build a base nearby to increase the chance of detecting the supply ships, and catching them while they're on the ground.

Hey, I went the best part of a game year with only 50 elerium on superhuman! What are YOU complaining about? https://www.angelfire.com/games3/jeffy90/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Call me odd, but I'm actually trying to formulate how you'd attempt to win the game on just 50 elerium.

How'd you ration it? Oh, I don't know. 16 on a plasma cannon and build a power/flying suit, or spend 32 on two plasma cannons. Then leave whatever is left over for the Avenger so you can launch the end-game mission. Hmm, it might actually work!

You'd be using a lot of cheap alternatives, but that shows how resourceful you can be. ;)

- NKF

How did I do it?

Well, the only weapons/clips I used were those I slavaged, which were not nearly enough. When I was short, I used laser rifles.

As for fuel, I built the avenger, but kept the skyranger and used that, as I could hardly refuel the thing. The idea was to grab a commander and use the avenger solely for the last mission.

With the elerium left over I managed to make some flying armor (not much). Fortunately I was able to keep my troops alive most of the time.

But I was only low on elerium for the first year; after that I got some more. Throughout the entire campaign I would have had about 250 units, which let me make some more armor, and after the loss of a couple of skyrangers I even put the avenger into service.