Lord of the Rings Online

The Veteran

Welcome to the 21st century! And dozens upon dozens of these horribly expensive, addictive and time wasting games we now so familiarly call MMORPGs...

As if WoW, Galaxies and Guildwars weren't enough there's now yet another big boy on its way. Lord of the Rings Online is set to make its debut in a weeks time with The Shadow of Angmar.

It'll have the same monthly, weekly or annual fees as any other game and no doubt level 60 characters will be for sale on ebay within weeks but who's going to give it a go?

If you like living in another world more than this one, and God knows I do, then this may well be the cheapest way to do it in the long run. There are only 5,000 collectors editions being made, full stop, but with a lifetime subscription for about

Well they certainly aren't XCom that's for sure... They make gaming a much more interactive experience though which is a good thing. Unfortunately the flip side of this is that it makes people think it's more acceptable to spend 12 hours a day on the computer because there are thousands of other people doing it too!

• 1 month later...
This is the one genre of game that is totally over my head. I can't see the attraction, but lots of people rave about them. Perhaps it's just because they're not turn-based...

I'd say the main attraction is the sociable element and the variety it offers. It's fun cooperating with or competing against others in RPGs because unlike with AIs nothing is guaranteed. Also perhaps the sense of belonging when you join a guild and do your part to make it stronger etc. World of Warcraft at least is absolutely huge with loads of content so it doesn't get old quick. Plus they keep adding new content. But it's true that all of this makes it dangerously addictive.

And don't hit me for this, but I don't think WoW is any more or less of a waste of time than, say, X-Com...