A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection

Kratos

I just read that the new DirectX 10 will be only available for Vista, and that apparently, DirectX 10 will not have backwards compatibility, but it will run older DX games using an emulator, so the performance will not be the same.

Good thing today games are so damn bad that I know I won't really miss anything that good.

I just read that the new DirectX 10 will be only available for Vista, and that apparently, DirectX 10 will not have backwards compatibility

Well at some point you have to break the bridges and move forward, however some things i have read in that article are just insane,

"....Every little variation of every device type out there must now be individually accommodated in custom code in order for the HFS process to be fully effective, resulting in a re-balkanisation of drivers..."

for example means that it may be the end of unified drivers and the end of somewhat a standard, which causes exact the oposite microsoft wants to achieve from what they say. They already tryd to establish that microsoft certified driver thing with xp, im curious if the industry will follow this trail, as increased costs in production and development hurt the market. I do bet that the whole 6 billion development piece of crap will get cracked and hacked within weeks, i try to stay on xp as long as possible and watch the frontline carefully :)

According to the article, the content protection has already been cracked (by one who was so pissed at Vista because he could not view his legally bought content), and M$ was quick to release a patch for the crack...

The only real indication that we have for how committed Microsoft really are to this is the amazing speed with which Microsoft released a patch for the WMDRM (Windows Media DRM) vulnerability, which they rushed out at a speed that even the most virulent worm never produced. This would seem to indicate that they're pretty serious about this, since they prioritised it above any conventional non-DRM-related security problem.

But it didn't stay patched for long, a new crack was discovered and the patch was for nothing. :)

According to the article, the content protection has already been cracked (by one who was so pissed at Vista because he could not view his legally bought content), and M$ was quick to release a patch for the crack...

But it didn't stay patched for long, a new crack was discovered and the patch was for nothing. :)

ROFL, even if i havent passed my exam today you guys just saved my day with that postings :)

*sighs* And now I find out my video card isn't DX10 compatible.

Please tell me the GeForce 7950 GX2 is!

nVidia are the only ones with a DirectX 10 graphics cards out at the moment and that's the GeForce 8800 series. 7950 cards are only DirectX 9.

Vista will still run with the areoglass interface on pretty much any graphics card that supports DirectX 9, IE: Pixel shader 2, including my lowly Acer laptop with the Radeon Xpress 200M chipset. If you don't have a graphics card that supports DirectX 9 then you can always roll back to vista's standard interface.