2 questions from "Terror from the Deep" gamer(and a tiny story)

InterFan

Hello guys!

Many years ago, back in 1995, I've got my 1st PC in my life- 486DX2 66MHZ etc...

I've come through many PC games but 2 of them realy caught my eyes in the early first months- Warchraft and UFO2.

I'll mention only UFO2 here, for obvious reasons.

That game seemed to be very mysteric and amazing back then. It looked so huge thing, so complicated...

I was a child and I didn't know English. I found it difficult to navigate and controll the game.

But the mystery and the unknown things attracted me too much to give up, so I even used a dictionary.

It took me a very long time till I've succeeded to accomplish the 1st mission(I thought I must kill them all and then get all my men back to the ship) and then I've shouted a lot full of happiness!

That game kept on "controlling" my PC for a very long time to come, beating other my all times favourite like warckraft, C&C and Worms because I couldn't finish UFO2. There were endless missions and I was also stuck a bit because all the physcho weapons slowed me down great deal.

So I've given up after some 100-150 missions.

So here I come to my 1st question-

How did the game end? How could one possibly end that game? back then I though you can't end it. I've discovered and researched everything and it all was empty, so I thought it's just an endless game from now on.

The X-Com series(but especially UFO2, the only one I've really played) poped up to my memory today, as I've read about a game called Brigade E5: New Jagged Union.

I've dome some researches and saw that there are many projects; some open-code, some commercial etc...

I respect computer graphics great deal, but in UFO style of games, the playabilty is much more important(it's more important in every game for me), but still- nowadays PCs are capable of much more than those old from 1995.

So..., here I come to my 2nd question-

I want to do it again :D . I want to feel and experience it again, but in the new modern standards.

I want it to be ideal- the same original with modification which makes it even better and up to nowadays' standard. It doesn't matter whether it's commercial or free at this point.

So I ask your advice- which is the best one for me?

As far as I've studied today, it seems that UFO: Extraterrestrials is the best "sequel". Up to then, I should play nowadays Laser Squad Nemesis even though it lacks all the building, research and economic stuffs, it had been created by many from the original X-COM series staff. What do you think?

Just like you, I'm afraid of new "sequels" which would look great, but lack the basic things which made UFO2 so great(like the flecibility to destroy/change the terrain and the building).

If you think I should post it elsewhere, just let me know.

Thanks in advanced.

To finish TFTD, you need to research more stuff. Unfortunately, there's a glitch (or several) in the game that prevents you researching everything you need.

First off, you should try Blade's Fixit Tool, which with any luck will allow you to continue researching. If not, you'll have to start a new game, in which case you should read through this guide.

To finish TFTD, you need to research more stuff. Unfortunately, there's a glitch (or several) in the game that prevents you researching everything you need.

First off, you should try Blade's Fixit Tool, which with any luck will allow you to continue researching. If not, you'll have to start a new game, in which case you should read through this guide.

So you say it was impossible to finish the original TFTD?!

Anyway, those old save games are very probably gone; They were in the 540MB HD of my old 486 :D

I'm not going to play the original again.

Well you could finish the original version unless you stumbled upon the research glitch. This still happens with the most updated copy. The only way around it was to replay the game and research everything properly, or use an editor to fix the glitch.

- NKF

Considering the era, very few had an internet connection and PC games patches weren't available on the net anyway.

People payed money and then tey stuck in a game because of such a bug, without their knowledge? It's probably the worst and most unfair bug I've ever heard of in PC gaming industry.

Nowadays the companies can afford themselves some bugs, because they can patch it easily.

At those times, they had to wipe the bug more carefully before dustributing the product on the shelves.

Just to think of all the time and nerves I've spent thinking it's my fault 11 years ago...

I'm waiting for my 2nd question as well :D

----------

I've written it already here; I want you to answer me on my 2nd question(it's the 2nd purple paragraph).

I don't have much time at all, so it should be a good choice. I think I've made up my choice as is written in the end, but I'd love to hear another advices or intensifications.

Thanks Ya!

[Edit by Zombie: Topics and posts merged].

I want to do it again :D . I want to feel and experience it again, but in the new modern standards.

I want it to be ideal- the same original with modification which makes it even better and up to nowadays' standard. It doesn't matter whether it's commercial or free at this point.

As far as I've studied today, it seems that UFO: Extraterrestrials is the best "sequel". Up to then, I should play nowadays Laser Squad Nemesis even though it lacks all the building, research and economic stuffs, it had been created by many from the original X-COM series staff. What do you think?

If you want a playable game right this instance then perhaps LSN is a good choice to whet your whistle. If you can hold out for a little bit, UFO: ET seems like the closest thing we'll have to an X-COM pseudo-sequel until something "proper" comes along. Check out UFO: ET's Gameplay video to see what I mean. You could also try UFO: Aftermath and/or UFO: Aftershock (both available now) as they bear a good resemblance to the X-COM series of games. :)

- Zombie

If you want a playable game right this instance then perhaps LSN is a good choice to whet your whistle. If you can hold out for a little bit, UFO: ET seems like the closest thing we'll have to an X-COM pseudo-sequel until something "proper" comes along. Check out UFO: ET's Gameplay video to see what I mean. You could also try UFO: Aftermath and/or UFO: Aftershock (both available now) as they bear a good resemblance to the X-COM series of games. :)

- Zombie

Thanks for the reply, Zombie.

I agree with you 100% except the last thing you've written.

I've played UFO: Aftermath a bit and It's a shame to even put it in the same line with the original X-COM. UFO: Aftermath has allmost nothing- no economic, no research, no base building, no airplanes, no flexibility to alter the terrain and buildings, no possibility to get into buildings and an extremely dumb AI.

True, the UFO series seems to lack any kind of cohesive or comprehensive global strategy elements which makes EU and TFTD so enjoyable. But those games are not meant to be X-COM remakes. I just had to mention that series because I didn't know if you played it yet. :D

- Zombie