Base defense - problem

falcon

Hi,

Well I 'm in the early days of 2000, 5 bases now, 3 countries have join the alien force and the aliens are starting to think that I'm growing too big as they send "retaliation forces" against my major base... in other word, I'm under attack!!!

The problem is that I have no clips when I want to arme my soldiers... this is quite problematic when you have to deal with Etherals !! I imagine it came from the "80 items limit" (info taken at the ufopedia https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=M...the_Item_Limit). Could you confirm ? What can I do ? Sell, transfert ?

Yes, it's definitely caused by the 80 item limit. Oh, and since I wrote the initial draft of that article, please don't think I'm being biased here. ;)

edit: On second thought, if you don't have the ammuniton or the weapons to begin with...

First and foremost: Spring clean your stores.

Clear out as many redundant guns that you know you will not be needing. I mean, who needs 101 Heavy plasmas when you only have, say, 6 soldiers? Better convert the unneeded guns into hard cash and make some space.

Just keep what you need and sell the rest. One gun per soldier and sufficient ammo. Don't keep too many secondary weapons, with the possible exception of laser pistol or plasma pistol sidearms for launcher-type weapons.

Oh, and don't stock too much ammo - especially for the equipment that you can buy. You don't want to end up with 40 autocannon ammo belts being generated in battle when you only have 1 autocannon, for example.

If you want to keep some of the weapons or the ammo (for example, the blaster bombs - it would be a shame to sell these precious things), transfer them to another base. The article you quoted has a few suggestions in section 3 on what you can think of to reduce your total item count a bit more.

By the way, weapons on your troop transport will be unloaded into the base's main pool of weapons during a base defence mission. I'd recommend not relying on these weapons to be available all the time.

For future retaliation attempts, consider having laser rifles in your standard base garrison's weapon kit. They don't need ammo, so that eliminates one problem.

- NKF

i'd recommend having 6 to 8 laser rifles specifically because they don't need ammo

but heavy plasma are the worst, i keep around 15 in my base at any time (although i have mroe now, i have like 50 soldiers, so yeah...)

and twice that number of clips

but as long as you keep the HP count down you should be fine

edit: Also, don't forget HWPs only take up 1 item slot so always have a few of them, especially the launcher variety for their free ammo

Well I really need to clean my stocks so... from what I saw, I have already 185 heavy plasma gun, more than 200 clips of ammo for those gun... and a lot more other stuff !... I will try to transfer part of my stock but it seems to be difficult as it's almost the same for the other bases... I think I will have no choices than sell weapons !