Simon's Art Thread

Praetoris

It's now been ages since I updated this thread (along with some other sites) with content, but I'm still alive and I'm finally allowed to show of some of my work. I also threw in a little bonus for you X-Com nuts out there, but I believe 'slaughter' is the only one who has a clue of what that new Reaper is all about. ;)

----

"Merchy Mk.2"

I needed a break from the fantasy-work that I'm currently up to so I decided to work some more on this sci-fi character. I really like the idea and looks of the weak spine, but I'm having quite a hard time coming up with a helmet version that I like, even though the direction is pretty narrowed down by now.

https://www.studio01.se/public/art_etc/merchy2.jpg

--------

"Warmage: Exodus"

Here are some images from a previous employment. As usual I can't reveal too much details about the game itself, but it's created for a sort of old-school RPG that (presumably) will be released in about a year.

https://www.studio01.se/public/art_etc/taregan_raider.jpg

----

https://www.studio01.se/public/art_etc/cave_creature01.jpg

https://www.studio01.se/public/art_etc/cave_creature02.jpg

----

https://www.studio01.se/public/art_etc/warmage.jpg

----

https://www.studio01.se/public/art_etc/caiden.jpg

--------

X-Com Reaper

https://www.studio01.se/public/art_etc/reaper.jpg

Woah. ;)

Kinda looks like a Robo Skeleton. :)

--

Whoah... For concept art it looks pretty finished to me. And it does look robotic, not organic at all.

--

Great work, Simon. I really like the style you went for. :)

The figure wasn't meant to be organic just like you said, the animal features are just reference to the design - it's still 100% machine. I'm glad you liked it and that I got my ideas across :)

I'm still having a hard time with the helmet though and I can't pick which one (or which way) I should go for.

But I guess it's close enough for a concept.

It immediately reminded me of another art piece as well... ;)

They are actually quite a lot like each other, not intentional though of course. :)

• 3 months later...
I like the Reaper. Finally looks like a terror weapon, instead of the mutant pig it originally resembled :D

Glad you liked it then. We used a variant earlier that had more mechanical 'elements' on it as well, but in the end we prefered this raw and brutish version more, mostly because it doesn't look as controlled or 'chained' as the other one - it's more of a monster than someones pet.

Woah dude that is like, totally awesome! (No surfer accent; I'm asian!)

Seriously, it looks really good. You should get a devientArt or something similar and post it there.

Now you got me wondering how an asian guy would pronounce awesome :D

"as'umaaa" ?

Thanks anyhow. I'm actually on deviantArt among some other sites already. But unfortunately I've been very inactive lately

Hey nice work dude! Just in case I've never approached you with this sort of request before, how would you like to help out our project?!

Colonisation could really do with a 'pencil and paper' artist to compliment our flash and 3D artists and your work is fantastic, plus you're already working on the kind of things we need doing.

If you're interested I've got the mother of all creative arts projects in mind for you and one of the most bizarre creatures you'll ever see in an XCom game! Let me know and I hope we hear from you soon!

Hey nice work dude! Just in case I've never approached you with this sort of request before, how would you like to help out our project?!

Colonisation could really do with a 'pencil and paper' artist to compliment our flash and 3D artists and your work is fantastic, plus you're already working on the kind of things we need doing.

If you're interested I've got the mother of all creative arts projects in mind for you and one of the most bizarre creatures you'll ever see in an XCom game! Let me know and I hope we hear from you soon!

Sounds very interesting, however if this is expected to be for completely free then I'm not sure how much time I could spend on it. The will is here though, as always, and I'm sure I could at least throw you a sketch or two once in a while :D

- Could you send me a mail at simon.rojder@studio01.se and tell me some more about it?

I'll email you now. And don't worry we all have real lives and the need to earn money by actually working 90% of the time God gives us so I wouldn't expect a portfolio of top notch stuff twice a week for nothing :D With the skill and talent you obviously have though any help you could give us would be much appreciated and is sorely needed!

• 5 months later...

About time I updated something here;

These are concepts and 3D-references of different weapons used in the Total Rebalance Mod for UFO:Afterlight. A lot of my time has been spent on simply making my own designs fit in with the rest, but if you haven't played the game yourself these items probably don't say a lot to you

My main goal with these wasn't necessarily to create something very beautiful, which is why I settles for these rather crappy and plastic textures for my perspective drawings. At the moment it's more about finalizing ideas and creating reference for the 3D-models.

- Feedback and critique is, as always, greatly appreciated. Hope you like it

https://www.studio01.se/public/art_etc/mod-quad.jpg

https://www.studio01.se/public/art_etc/mod-ar_and_smg.jpg

https://www.studio01.se/public/art_etc/mod-lsr_and_flamer.jpg

https://www.studio01.se/public/art_etc/mod-am_rifle.jpg

Very nice work overall, Simon. As usual, I might add :D

Colored drawings such as those you've conceived (say, for the Laser Sniper rifle) often make me ponder what the result would be if a game engine was built to deliver just this kind of conceptual, grittier look, instead of the ever-shiny polished surfaces that are the norm.

Performance hit on today's graphics cards isn't much of an excuse any more, but I'll leave it to the experts...

Cutting to the chase:

LOVELY! Finally someone who can give feedback :D

"Colored drawings such as those you've conceived (say, for the Laser Sniper rifle) often make me ponder what the result would be if a game engine was built to deliver just this kind of conceptual, grittier look, instead of the ever-shiny polished surfaces that are the norm."

- I wouldn't say no to a position where I get to create "grungy" art, but sadly I haven't seen any offers for it

"Rocket Launcher & Rocket Cell: no frills, sturdy feel. Thumbs up. (you might want to revise that trooper shouldering the launcher on his right shoulder, seeing where you've placed the scoping/target acquisition apparatus all throughout)"

- Glad you liked it. Good point.

"Sub-machine gun - feels a bit too much like scraps cobbled together. To make a long story short, it lacks an edge. It needs more personality. By all means let us see the thought process, don't let us see the H&K in the final drawing. 'Nuff said."

- The H&K was only my starting point and reference, I wasn't intending to make something too similar to it in the end - which I didn't end up doing in my opinion. I can see what you mean by 'scraps cobbled together' though.

"Laser Sniper Rifle & Flame Thrower: Laser S.R. - power and precision. It's gotta have quite a kick, though, for the sort of shoulder-mounted operation you envision..."

- I'm not all that involved in how they work and operate - apparently they don't have much of a recoil so I'm satisfied as it is. The 'backpack' irks a little bit now that you mention it though..

"Flame thrower: I especially like what you've done with the back half of the weapon, but somehow I can't derive much satisfaction from the muzzle. I suppose it partly just feels too short for the pre-conceived idea of a flame-thrower."

- I (or we?) liked the compact kind of look in the end and I don't think enlongating anything is the way to go. It's pretty 'fat' to make up for it though, I'll see if I can upload a render or in-game screenshot later on..

"Anti Materiel Rifle: I like it better without the holed appendage at the front. Other than that, solid design."

- That was actually the last change before it was declared final. I'm a little cloven about it to be honest, I like both but at the same time I'm not entirely-and-nitpickingly satisfied with either of them

"Oh, and nice going with the flaming ret motif :)"

- I've made a couple of those just for laughs, but apparantly Rick likes them and they're in the final version as well :D

"So, there; more than you probably needed to hear - and more than I wanted to type ;) - but that already says something about what you've achieved in itself."

Thanks a lot for the feedback mate, I appreciate it.

"It's pretty 'fat' to make up for it though, I'll see if I can upload a render or in-game screenshot later on..."

Well, we're a step ahead of you in promoting good art it seems... :D

I do see the proportions of the flame-thrower coming into their own when seen in context (i.e. their scale with regards to the character models).

Quick note - just as I was looking at the scene I noticed a little something that has to do with another respect, though: check out how the characters seem to be aiming the weapon at eye-level.

Picture the spray-action for a second and think about how you'd imagine the wielder's stance.

"I like both but at the same time I'm not entirely-and-nitpickingly satisfied with either of them"

But that goes with the territory, doesn't it ? :D

::

"Thanks a lot for the feedback mate, I appreciate it."

You're quite welcome, Simon. And do post some further material for our viewing pleasure. :)

Well, we're a step ahead of you in promoting good art it seems... :)

- There goes Thorondor again, the living encyclopedia ;)

I've always wondered how you manage to keep track of all quotes, interviews, uploads etc etc..

Quick note - just as I was looking at the scene I noticed a little something that has to do with another respect, though: check out how the characters seem to be aiming the weapon at eye-level.

Picture the spray-action for a second and think about how you'd imagine the wielder's stance.

- I'm not sure I follow you on that one? If you're referring to the weapons being a little "out of line" when wielded by the models in game then that's an issue across the board with UFO:AL I'm afraid. Characters often hold and clip into many of the items and it can look really awcard at times.

"I like both but at the same time I'm not entirely-and-nitpickingly satisfied with either of them"

But that goes with the territory, doesn't it ? :)

- Quite true..

..and do post some further material for our viewing pleasure. :D

- Well, since you're rather fast on the reply and hand me good feedback I might just upload some more as soon as tonight. It depends on how hard a NDA should be interpreted though, my employments can be far too hush-hush at times :D I'll get back when I know more..

"I've always wondered how you manage to keep track of all quotes, interviews, uploads etc etc.."

Two words? hush-hush... :D

"I'm not sure I follow you on that one? If you're referring to the weapons being a little 'out of line' when wielded (...)"

Nope. I was mereley pointing out that one's not very likely to find a flame-thrower being aimed/fired in such a way. Firing one is usually done by wielding the weapon at chest-height or below and spraying about.

Even insulated I think it's safe to say you don't gain much by keeping it as close as depicted...

::

And regarding NDAs: you know what they say - don't play with fire :D

C U around :)